New GT500 Limited to 180 MPH

Revvv

Infinity Poster
Established Member
I would not doubt it, for several reasons. One, Lawyers. Cars that go 200 MPH make them very very nervous because some nit-wit just might try to do it. Two, the number of places that you can actually get anywhere close to that kind of speed is very short. Most road courses can't support anywhere near that. And if you do it on a public highway, you are an idiot. Lastly, as noted above all that aero puts a big drag on it at speed. Even the ZR1 with the big wing can only do a bit over 190 flat out (212 with the small wing). My ZL1 is rated for 198, but it drops to mid 170s with the big wing 1LE package. And again what's the point? Places where you can (safely) do that kind of speed are very few and far between.
I owned Hayabusas; yes we nitwits will push such a machine to its limit. You have to make sure the advertising is not false.

Then you modify it to go faster. This is coded into our DNA as speed freaks.

Sent from my [toilet] using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Revvv

Infinity Poster
Established Member
Honest question: why do people really care about top speed?
Why care about horsepower, torque, creature comforts, etc? It's all about being the biggest and baddest.

Same goes with tires; how big can I really go in regard to rear tire width? I think I want to try a 335/35/17 with my next tire purchase. Why; because I can.

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
It's all the fancy aerodynamic work that helps keep it planted. Downforce costs top end speed.
The aerodynamic forces increase exponentially with every mph...
Look at the 00 Cobra R vs a 03 Cobra's top speed... (electronic nannies off, otherwise stock) 175 and 180 respectively.

Sent from my Note9

Slightly more power from the 03 cobra

Kevins89notch

Established Member
And again what's the point?

...because this:

Y1klsEQ.jpg

We grew up in a time where 200mph was where the bar was set. To take out your idol is something that a lot of people want to do.

GodStang

Established Member
So are we saying it can only do 180 or that it has an electronic governor on it? IIRC didn't the 03-04 Cobras have a limited on it at 155 and you could just turn that off.

Funny thing is the people driving these cars will be the people that drive 10 under the speed limit in the right lane and have the left blinker left on for the past 30 mins, but when they are at a local cruise-in they can spout out magazine numbers about whose the fastest.

08mojo

Established Member
Why care about horsepower, torque, creature comforts, etc? It's all about being the biggest and baddest.

Same goes with tires; how big can I really go in regard to rear tire width? I think I want to try a 335/35/17 with my next tire purchase. Why; because I can.

Because any track I take it to, I will use all of the hp and torque it can put to the ground. But, I cannot think of any event: 1/8, 1/4, 1/2, or any road course in the US where the car will hit 180, let alone 200. It might hit 180 at the Texas mile in stock form, maybe, but that's about the only event I can think of where 180 would come into play.

I care a lot more about how it will take down the 1/4 mile vs bragging at a car meet "it will do 200." I also care a lot more about how it will handle a 20 minute session at a road course. I also care about how it will perform on the street, at reasonable speeds, vs 200 mph.

VRYALT3R3D

Show me your Members
Established Member
The 2013 GT500 went 200MPH but a lot of people forget that in order to achieve that, it was geared for top speed. As such, the performance numbers for the drag strip were lacking and it could have been better if it didn't have poor gearing. It looks like Ford is listening to that feedback and is gearing the new GT500 better.

Malern28us

Established Member
Premium Member
My thoughts...and they are just thoughts.
Are sustained speeds (above 180mph) beyond the limits of the Michelin tires or the carbon fiber rims with the ceramic spray on liner?
Just something to ponder...

Revvv

Infinity Poster
Established Member
Because any track I take it to, I will use all of the hp and torque it can put to the ground. But, I cannot think of any event: 1/8, 1/4, 1/2, or any road course in the US where the car will hit 180, let alone 200. It might hit 180 at the Texas mile in stock form, maybe, but that's about the only event I can think of where 180 would come into play.

I care a lot more about how it will take down the 1/4 mile vs bragging at a car meet "it will do 200." I also care a lot more about how it will handle a 20 minute session at a road course. I also care about how it will perform on the street, at reasonable speeds, vs 200 mph.
I'm not going to disagree, Im a drag racer too. However, there are places for 200+ mph runs. Bonneville, Texas Mile, and a few others. I pushed a bike (getting a car to 200mph is a lot harder, and more expensive) to 211 at the Maxton Mile before it was shut down. I will admit that I prefer the 1/4 over a mile. It is more fun in my opinion.

A lot of the Hayabusa's legacy was in the fact that it was a 200mph bike off the showroom floor. The same is said for many of our favorite four wheeled toys. Just look at the complaints surrounding the Demon. The car is capable of a 9.65 ET, but only two people have gotten it there, and that has the car enthusiast population in constant debate. We live in an age in which 200mph is attainable, even if we don't push the car to that limit. We like excess.

If you have 800hp, 200mph is in reach.

08mojo

Established Member
I'm not going to disagree, Im a drag racer too. However, there are places for 200+ mph runs. Bonneville, Texas Mile, and a few others. I pushed a bike (getting a car to 200mph is a lot harder, and more expensive) to 211 at the Maxton Mile before it was shut down. I will admit that I prefer the 1/4 over a mile. It is more fun in my opinion.

A lot of the Hayabusa's legacy was in the fact that it was a 200mph bike off the showroom floor. The same is said for many of our favorite four wheeled toys. Just look at the complaints surrounding the Demon. The car is capable of a 9.65 ET, but only two people have gotten it there, and that has the car enthusiast population in constant debate. We live in an age in which 200mph is attainable, even if we don't push the car to that limit. We like excess.

If you have 800hp, 200mph is in reach.

If you get the gt500, of any year, to 200mph in the standing mile, you don't give a shit about a factory speed limiter--your car has had some major mods. Remember, we're talking about a factory stock car here...

Agreed, we like excess--I just don't care about excess gearing or a speed limiter at 180mph. 180mph is excess. Give me the hp and torque. If lawyers, driveshafts, axles, tires, whatever keeps the speed limited to, a still ludacris, 180mph then I don't see the point in complaining.

@dannydarko11 glad you got the popcorn ready!!

Voltwings

Established Member
Top speed of a car is ALWAYS limited based on the rating of the tires. When you have real downforce exerting extra load on the tires as speed increases, top speed has to be reduced as a result.

This is very simple...

Users who are viewing this thread