New GT350 or New 2015 Z28?

s.hammer

Established Member
Not sure if the times are released yet for the Car and Driver 2016 Lightning Laps but it looks the 2017 1LE is at 2:54.8 and 2016 GT350R is at 2:51.8. At least this is what I have seen online.

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
^^^ any other times from this year?

R time is slow. This could be a great comparison yet c/d cheapskate out by having the runs with writers instead trained drivers. There is no way you can compare any of the times they get.

Different drivers different cars.
Inexperienced track drivers that will show no consistency.
The comparison is actually very deplorable.

Last edited:

Voltwings

Established Member
Not sure if the times are released yet for the Car and Driver 2016 Lightning Laps but it looks the 2017 1LE is at 2:54.8 and 2016 GT350R is at 2:51.8. At least this is what I have seen online.

VIR_zpsmsegp2zi.jpg

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
Oh Hell! I can see it now. The z28 is faster than the R because the normal(maybe different) driver was a second faster on different days at vir.

This type of hack stunt was the reason Gene and Ford ran the 11 GT500 at vir. There is no true representation between the actual performance of these cars if different drivers of limited ability run them.

Voltwings

Established Member
Oh Hell! I can see it now. The z28 is faster than the R because the normal(maybe different) driver was a second faster on different days at vir.

This type of hack stunt was the reason Gene and Ford ran the 11 GT500 at vir. There is no true representation between the actual performance of these cars if different drivers of limited ability run them.

Ehh, you kind of have to interpolate a bit. Yes, a lot is left to speculation but let me give you an example.

My last track day i was in my stock mazdaspeed3 driving as balls to the wall as stock tires would let me (2:10 at TWS for those that that time means something to) and i was keeping up with this sweet little old lady in a C7 z51. Her line was terrible, she was very skiddish going into corners, timid out of corners, and i could not get around her because her car was just that much better than mine... thats what putting these cars in the hands of average joe means. The better car should still win assuming they're half way competent. Now, these cars compared here arent nearly as far apart as a C7 and my hatch back lol, but still.

Last edited:

RazorSVT

Established Member
Track
1 Z/28
2 GT350

Daily Driving
1 GT350
2 Z/28

Looks
1 GT350
2 Z/28

Street Fun - The torque makes it more enjoyable
1 Z/28
2 Gt350

Interior
1 GT350
2 Z/28

Ive had both and they are great cars, both of them. To decide which one to buy is very tough because they are so different. If you are buying a car strictly for the track go with the Z, if you are using the car for 4 passengers regularly and daily driving go with the GT350.

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
It's really a toss up because looks are subjective. ^^^^

That said, they both look great!

It would be a weekend car for me... Never a daily driver.

Dynobrat

Established Member
isn't there a huge price difference? I can't dig the windows in the Scumaro. Or the interior, it looks so simple and bland, some color inserts but the dash? haha. Plus they've had all the technology for years and they're finally just putting it together as a Camaro, to compete with themselves or Ford? Chevrolet doesn't care as much as Ford. Team Chevrolet? Yeah, we have some talking to do. And the gt350 is a new generation of car. If GM stopped dragging their ass they'd have more buyers. I was born and bred gm when fords left us stranded. Now their entire line up of vehicles is totally unappealing. It's more than just one or the other. Mustangs will always be the more popular and talked about car. So **** GM. I've owned 2nd third and fourth gen cars and then they ditched it in 2002 for what? They lost their fan base then and there and will never recover. Even though it's a still a good car in 2016 but it's still only good in certain areas, the mustang is a overall better package. If Sync 3 would work. haha You're better off with a Vette.

The coolest thing for me is if Chevrolet built a 4th gen with all of that technology. That would impress me. A fourth gen car with full suspension wow every camaro fan would come alive. Those cars excite me more than todays look. Boxy flat and square with squinted headlights looks silly haha. And a 275 rear tire vs. a 305 with the option to a 315...no debate here. Even the key fob is better. LOL push button start is in a better location on the ford haha...try resting your arm on the window when you drive, it's almost impossible in a camaro. Like who the **** designs these cars? Mustang all the way brother. People say the interior is better, but in the camaro? How? I am looking at it right now...I don't see anything nice, I see typical chevy cruze.

Last edited:

Serpent

Bike or Cobra?
Established Member
VIR times are BS and i would not trust the test done there. Doesnt make sense that the z28 is within 1 sec of a Viper TA and then at Laguna seca the z28 is almost 4 seconds behind!
The times just vary too much in VIR. Not to mention the repaving and widening of corners.

Z28 vs GT350, Id go with the GT350.

If youre on a budget the z28 has plummeted in price, almost half at low $40s!!!!

mike69440

Established Member
Boils down to this

Problem with the GT 350: Greedy dealer mark-up.
Problem with a Camaro 1LE (2016) or 2015 Z28, Interior and ergonomics really, really suck IMHO.
(Let me out of this thing!)
Solution: Impala SS with a blower?

Last edited:

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Problem with the GT 350: Greedy dealer mark-up.
Problem with a Camaro 1LE (2016) or 2015 Z28, Interior and ergonomics really, really suck IMHO.
(Let me out of this thing!)
Solution: Impala SS with a blower?
Is it really greedy dealers if the market is bringing that much? The market determines the price.

02GTKB

Nolimits
Established Member
Is it really greedy dealers if the market is bringing that much? The market determines the price.

Well people really have no choice if they really want this car, such as me, yea could i have waited all summer for the prices to come down? No back in the spring I wanted what I wanted and the dealers i am sorry take advantage of this..The market is yes set because of people such as me who are willing to pay for what they want no matter what...But it deff starts with the dealers, they set the price we do not

Users who are viewing this thread