New GT350 or New 2015 Z28?

Voltwings

Established Member
agree... I cant leave anything alone so if it were to be a z28 it would be full bolt on plus cam for sure.

very true... however when the z28 first dropped, minds were absolutely blown. Really tells you how good the gt350 is becauase its better on the track... the R is at least.

something about the z28 keeps calling me.. . both cars will be exclusive and rare, but the z28 just seems more "special." very subjective for sure... but idk.

I agree with this 100%. As much of a Ford fan as i am, i am a "performance" fan more. That being said, i was just trying to highlight the scope of this conversation: You cant talk about one making more power and one being faster around track, because they aren't necessarily the same conversation is all.

AustinSN

Established Member
Beer Money Bros.
How often do you plan on driving it?

The consumables for the Z are stupid expensive, Ford was pretty good about that when they said the were making the 350 affordable.

ChiSVT

SVT 4 Life
Established Member
It does not do everything better. The R barely beat the Z28. The TP, not to mention the base would not beat a Z28 (except in a straight line), not even with aftermarket tires. I would agree that the nonR 350s would make for a better daily (but even that is subjective).

530whp on a 350, you say? How does 600+whp, WITH 600wtq on the Z28 sound to you?

Looks of them are subjective, but both of them do a great job at looking like a truly special car.

2015-Chevrolet-Camaro-Z28-vs-2016-Ford-Shelby-GT350R-Mustang-front-end-in-motion-02.jpg

I would think it would be faster regardless of model, the 350R pulled ahead 2 seconds in that road course test and 3mph faster in traps. That's way more than within the noise, it's faster and all accomplished in a way better overall package IMO.

I've owned LS cars, 600whp+ is great, but now you're talked ported heads, big cam, sheet metal intake, etc..To get there with a cam and bolt-ons requires a CAM so big it won't be worth the trade-off in mannerism's in a car like the Z28.

I wouldn't do it. The Z28 is a generation too old, even when it was new the platform was a few generations too old. Admittedly they worked wonders with what they had, (magnetic ride, great suspension, LS7, awesome tires, etc) but that platform is just meant for land yachts not pony cars.

The reason it's affordable despite costing in some cases over $80k with markup just two years ago, is because people don't want them. They will be in the low 40s next year, maybe even 30s.

Just buy a 1LE if you want a Camaro, hell it may even be faster than the GT350 for way less. Otherwise get used to this:

2010camaross024-630.jpg

Last edited:

ChiSVT

SVT 4 Life
Established Member
I haven't seen a 530 whp bolt on gt350... Not saying it can't happen but I'm totally out of the loop on that... Link?

I think most would agree a cammed/bolt on ls7 would make more power than a bolt on voodoo motor.

I also don't think a non R 350 is faster a track.. They are very very close at worst.

Already have... Thousand per corner and carbon brakes will out last iron rotors under normal, non racing use.

I can't remember who was mentioning they made 530whp+

Here's one though:

5942EBA3-31D6-499D-AC6A-63201156BE6C_zpsybnunzjh.jpg

The LS7 in the Z28 makes the same power as the Voodoo and more torque right out of the box, it's the HP curve on the voodoo that allows it to pull away.

2015-Chevrolet-Camaro-Z28-vs-2016-Ford-Mustang-GT350-and-GT350R-dyno.jpg

ZYBORG

Let's roll..
Established Member
Premium Member
I would think it would be faster regardless of model, the 350R pulled ahead 2 seconds in that road course test and 3mph faster in traps. That's way more than within the noise, it's faster and all accomplished in a way better overall package IMO.

I've owned LS cars, 600whp+ is great, but now you're talked ported heads, big cam, sheet metal intake, etc..To get there with a cam and bolt-ons requires a CAM so big it won't be worth the trade-off in mannerism's in a car like the Z28.

I wouldn't do it. The Z28 is a generation too old, even when it was new the platform was a few generations too old. Admittedly they worked wonders with what they had, (magnetic ride, great suspension, LS7, awesome tires, etc) but that platform is just meant for land yachts not pony cars.

The reason it's affordable despite costing in some cases over $80k with markup just two years ago, is because people don't want them. They will be in the low 40s next year, maybe even 30s.

Just buy a 1LE if you want a Camaro, hell it may even be faster than the GT350 for way less. Otherwise get used to this:

2010camaross024-630.jpg

Like I said, the pecking order is as follows in the handling departmemt: 350R > Z28 > 350 TP > 350 EP/base.

I do agree with you that all the 350s are a better overall package.

If you are going to show the interior, at least show the real thing..

65c10d0f4697980503616d413bbfdc9fx.jpg

2015-Chevrolet-Camaro-Interior-3.jpg

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
Agree^^^

I'm not into it for the interior although by all accounts tbe recaros are damn good seats in the Z.

Also agree with CHIsvt that the 2015 Z platform is just old and admittedly too heavy/fat.

It'll probably come down to what I can get the best deal on ....

ChiSVT

SVT 4 Life
Established Member
Like I said, the pecking order is as follows in the handling departmemt: 350R > Z28 > 350 TP > 350 EP/base.

I do agree with you that all the 350s are a better overall package.

If you are going to show the interior, at least show the real thing..

65c10d0f4697980503616d413bbfdc9fx.jpg

2015-Chevrolet-Camaro-Interior-3.jpg

That's the same thing wrapped with suede accents and recaros. Anyways, that comes down to personal experience. Personally, I don't think you can sit in a worse cockpit, not to mention the visibility..ahh.

I don't know where your pecking orders comes from, just your opinion?

AustinSN

Established Member
Beer Money Bros.

2010camaross024-630.jpg

The Z28 didn't have magnetic ride, I think the ride quality was a big reason why they sold so poorly as well.

ZYBORG

Let's roll..
Established Member
Premium Member
That's the same thing wrapped with suede accents and recaros. Anyways, that comes down to personal experience. Personally, I don't think you can sit in a worse cockpit, not to mention the visibility..ahh.

I don't know where your pecking orders comes from, just your opinion?

Personally, I feel there is nothing wrong with the camaro cockpit. Visibility you get used to, and once you do, it's like it was never a problem to begin with.

I can think of some "worse" cockpits that I would live with; 03/04 cobra, Boss LS.. To name a few.

Randy Pobst drove the 350R, Z28 and 350 on the same track... Z28 was 1 second behind the R, the 350 was nearly 3 seconds behind the R.

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
It does not do everything better. The R barely beat the Z28. The TP, not to mention the base would not beat a Z28 (except in a straight line), not even with aftermarket tires. I would agree that the nonR 350s would make for a better daily (but even that is subjective).

530whp on a 350, you say? How does 600+whp, WITH 600wtq on the Z28 sound to you?

Looks of them are subjective, but both of them do a great job at looking like a truly special car.

2015-Chevrolet-Camaro-Z28-vs-2016-Ford-Shelby-GT350R-Mustang-front-end-in-motion-02.jpg

Interesting the R beats the z28 by over a second on a fairly short track despit being at a tire disadvantage and you think it's barely faster?
Trofeo is 1 and sometimes 2 seconds faster than the cup 2 on a two minute track. Damn the R hitting 3 seconds faster than the z28 on the same tire on a short 2 minute track? Another way to look at it is put the z28 on the cup 2 and add 2 seconds to its time. Wait slower than the TP 350 even though this 350 comes with a tire slower than the cup 2?

Interesting!

[video]https://youtu.be/rrLQpAt5Mes[/video]

DGladhill

Established Member

The 350 base isn't meant to compete with the Z28, so I'm not sure why we're comparing a base to a track model. The 350R blew the Z28 out of the water all around though.

AustinSN

Established Member
Beer Money Bros.
I recall hearing a rumor that the TP 350s will run right on the heels of a Z28 at Grattan, but that's where the car was designed so it will have an edge.

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
I recall hearing a rumor that the TP 350s will run right on the heels of a Z28 at Grattan, but that's where the car was designed so it will have an edge.

The TP was neck and neck with the z51 and 991s the R hit the same time as the 991 GT3. The z28 is in between those sets of cars most note ably because it rides on a much faster tire than any of those cars. This was Fords testing at Grattan with independent pro drivers from understanding.

blackvette101

Established Member

Maybe with 370 or 408 cubes not 427. Ported heads yeah. Decent size cam yeah but not some solid roller with huge trade offs. no way on the sheetmetal intake not necessary at all.

Users who are viewing this thread