~New Air Filter For My RAI~

mrose75

Established Member
which one is best for a Steeda CAI? tired of washing/oiling.

+1. I have a Steeda filter I'd like to replace. And I can't get to the link for the dude with the $40 Carbon Fiber shield. Is that still out there or no more??

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
which one is best for a Steeda CAI? tired of washing/oiling.

I don't blame you. I always personally hated the oiled filters. Question. Does the replacement Steeda filters from Steeda require oiling? I know they are lifetime filters ($53.) but don't know if oiling is a must. Just curious.

ripnesscobra

Established Member
Amsoil does not currently make an open ended version of this filter which is compatible with the K&N FIPK 2.

However, there are 3 Amsoil filters available which are compatible with the K&N FIPK 2. Below you will find a cross section of a quick solid model comparison I did for the 3 compatible Amsoil filters versus the K&N FIPK 2 filter:

5094158323_c4295712e0.jpg

I ended up going with the EAAU6075.

The main thing to note is that the flange length of the 3 Amsoil filters is 1 inch, where the K&N filter is 0.625 inches. This just means that the rubber flange which connects to the intake via the clamp is 0.375 inches longer. You can see this difference in the above cross section.

Amsoil used to make the EAAU6081 which was nearly identical to the K&N FIPK 2 filter but it is apparently no longer available.

04sleeper

Runs On "Liquid Gold"
Super Moderator
I don't blame you. I always personally hated the oiled filters. Question. Does the replacement Steeda filters from Steeda require oiling? I know they are lifetime filters ($53.) but don't know if oiling is a must. Just curious.
Yes. The Steeda filters require oiling. They are just a cotton/gauze type filter.

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
I looked on this web site and couldn't find any large open end ones like pictured on Kevin's 04.
EaA Air Filter Dimensions

I have the JLT 12" CAI in the fender well and I was thinking I would like to upgrade to the better filtering of these units. Am I missing it on the web site?

What are the dimensions of the one you are running Kevin? Is there a reason you switched it back to the engine bay? Or was it there all along?

s281er238

YELLOW MELLOW
Established Member
so will this heat shield or the jlt heat shield work on the k&n kit or its to small to go around the kit

04sleeper

Runs On "Liquid Gold"
Super Moderator
I looked on this web site and couldn't find any large open end ones like pictured on Kevin's 04.
EaA Air Filter Dimensions

I have the JLT 12" CAI in the fender well and I was thinking I would like to upgrade to the better filtering of these units. Am I missing it on the web site?

What are the dimensions of the one you are running Kevin? Is there a reason you switched it back to the engine bay? Or was it there all along?
Jimmy, I did switch it back to the engine bay. I had the JLT 12" High Boost but did not like the way it fit. It rubbed the strut tower, coil cover and rubbed the inner fender and rubbed the IC lines. I saw no gains with it so I switched to a Metco RAI kit.

Here is where I got my filter from.
AMSOIL Ea Air Induction Filters (EaAU)

My filter is the EaAU4090.

I did not loose HP by switching to the 9" filter. Even @ 700 RWHP there is no loss.

Hope this helps, Kevin

04sleeper

Runs On "Liquid Gold"
Super Moderator
so will this heat shield or the jlt heat shield work on the k&n kit or its to small to go around the kit
The JLT heat sheild was made from the mold from the Metco kit. I do not think it will work with the K&N kit.

You would need to get the billet MAF adapter to make this JLT kit work.

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
Jimmy, I did switch it back to the engine bay. I had the JLT 12" High Boost but did not like the way it fit. It rubbed the strut tower, coil cover and rubbed the inner fender and rubbed the IC lines. I saw no gains with it so I switched to a Metco RAI kit.

Here is where I got my filter from.
AMSOIL Ea Air Induction Filters (EaAU)

My filter is the EaAU4090.

I did not loose HP by switching to the 9" filter. Even @ 700 RWHP there is no loss.

Hope this helps, Kevin

Thanks Kevin! That appears to be the biggest 4" flange one, except for the 4095, which does not have the very desirable open end and additional filter surface area.

Looks like I could still use it in the fender if I wanted also.:thumbsup:

greengt88

Established Member
i'm thinking with a billet MAF Adapter we Steeda users could use one of the amsoil filters....i don't think they have one large enough to fit...as stated before..the "magic donut". i don't know the OD Dia. of the donut, it's pretty large actually. I wish i wouldhave known about the amsoil filter last week, i just removed the heat shield and had it powder coated black, i couldn't stand the raw aluminum any more. my steeda filter also contacts my hood a slight amount and the mesh is a little smashed in a quarter sized spot. anybody else's do that??

Tims97SVT

Established Member
Kevin that looks good. Looks to be a very nice filter and you can never go wring with amsoil products. I need to replace my filter. I'll look into one of these.

03 VENOM

Established Member
Well, I had read a lot about Amsoil EA filters and thought I would give it a shot.

One advantage to me is that you do not have to oil it! I always hated oiling my filter due to over oiling or not oiling enough. I have seen oil get on the MAF sensor and throw off your tune.

After reading how the Amsoil EA Filters are made, how much more they filter out, and how you don't have to oil them, I was sold.

Anyway I always share with pictures so here are a few.

The filter I purchased replaced my S&B filter. Here is the part number I bought.
4461368560_5e17115ba8_o.jpg

One thing I noticed was the quality of the filter media and the thickness of the rubber. All very well made.
4460588781_8f35dc32be_o.jpg

4461368388_57dc7cc200_o.jpg

They lazer etch their logo on the front which I tought was a nice touch.
4460588703_2c1aa1ba8c_o.jpg

I installed this on my Metco "Carbon Fiber" RAI. (They do not sell this kit any more in case you are wondering.)
4461368644_0297caefc2_o.jpg

4460588933_0d58507d6f_o.jpg

And a quick shot of it on the car.
4460588985_575954dbc4_o.jpg

Sorry to bring back an old thread but I just bought a new JLT RAI. But, the damn heat shield won't fit :fm: It looks like on your pics that you used the bolt right next to the hood prop.

I'm suppose to use the bolt from the stock air box and that's where the hole is at on the new plastic heat shield. Maybe I'll just drill a new hole in the heat shield.

Users who are viewing this thread