Need a new Bank

TaraFirma

Established Member
Been with USAA for 25 years. Ever since I joined the Army back in 98. They are not and have not been the same financial institution I joined for quite some time. Now that I have retired, there aren't any local branches, their interest rates are terrible, and they don't even have the car buying service anymore, I think it's time to move on. I stopped using the insurance years ago as it was the first service to go to shit. I'd like to get with a bank I can use locally and that has a track record of not shitting on their members for the last few years.
I'm in NW Austin and have RBFCU, Navy FED, Wells Fargo, and Chase fairly local to me. I'll have a traditional Checking, and savings account wherever I choose.
What are y'alls suggestions?

Morgan

Established Member
University Federal Credit Union is hq’ed in Austin, are they local to you?
I use them for auto loans, but have had good experiences in general.

1Kona_Venom

US Army (Ret)
Established Member
Premium Member
Been with USAA for 25 years. Ever since I joined the Army back in 98. They are not and have not been the same financial institution I joined for quite some time. Now that I have retired, there aren't any local branches, their interest rates are terrible, and they don't even have the car buying service anymore, I think it's time to move on. I stopped using the insurance years ago as it was the first service to go to shit. I'd like to get with a bank I can use locally and that has a track record of not shitting on their members for the last few years.
I'm in NW Austin and have RBFCU, Navy FED, Wells Fargo, and Chase fairly local to me. I'll have a traditional Checking, and savings account wherever I choose.
What are y'alls suggestions?
I joined USAA in 1997 when it was only open to NCOs and Officers

They sold out

I dropped everything but banking with them. Only reason is for loans I would tell em how much I needed, they said yes, than asked me what its for.

I don't need much in the way of loans anymore, I just dump all my stuff into Charles Scwab. It pays better if you know what your doing.

BOOGIE MAN

Logic and Reason
Established Member
I have and recommend Marcus (by Goldman Sachs) for a savings acct. Online, never had any issues with direct deposit or transfers. Current apy is 4.5%, accrues monthly on last day of month

VegasMichael

Established Member
Do you need a bank that is brick and mortar? If not, look into American Express. They have checking that pays 1% on your balance and savings that will pay 4.3%. No fees either.

Last edited:

DiB14-SAFD

Established Member
RBFCU is great.
Chase is meh but national so makes some things easier.
No experience with Navy Fed or Wells.

I have accounts at Chase and three different cu’s. Firstmark, SSFCU and RBFCU have all been great and I usually just use the one with the best rate on whatever product I am looking at. I only use Chase for checking due to the larger presence.

svtfocus2cobra

Opprimere, Velocitas, Violentia Operandi
Established Member
I've got Chase for my primary banking and I switched to USAA from State Farm for my insurance and got a credit card through them probably 4 or 5 years ago.

I haven't used them for any loans, but I've been happy with their CC service. I can tell you from a body estimators perspective that their insurance services are one of the better ones to work with and they don't usually fuss about anything that needs to be done repair wise. I've been happy with Chase so far for my banking and haven't had any issues with them either. I started with WaMu then Chase bought them so I just carried it over with Chase.

gfcobra04

Established Member
Premium Member
Wells Fargo was fined by the Fed by creating all kinds of accounts for people and charging them fees for the accounts that they didn’t have. My mother-in-law had the same issue before she passed away. I would not use Wells Fargo. I also had Wells Fargo and they refused to close my account once, and kept sending me bank fees I told him to stick it.

I would not use Bank of America either. My ex-wife had her checkbook stolen, and when we reported the stolen checkbook they later said we never report the theft, and lost all the records of the theft. We had to supply them with Cobb with copies of our copies of all the records three times. So in Bank of America’s infinite wisdom, they decided to sue us as far as I’m concerned, Bank of America is a piece of shit I would not use them either.

365 Saleen

Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I prefer Credit Unions.
That being said, I have an account with Key, but only because it was the only bank that was in Maine and in Washington. When I moved from Washington to Maine, I switched my accounts from a CU to Key just to make the transition from one State to the other seamless. So far we have been treated well. Might have something to do with a small town branch. When you walk in the door, they know you by first name.
When I lived in Washington I was with BECU (Boeing Employee Credit Union) and they were top notch.

*Jay*

Tweeker by trade
Established Member
Premium Member
Been with NFCU since 1994, no issues aside from the closest/only branch being in Cleveland.

Junior00

Hurter Of Delicate Vaginas
Established Member
Premium Member
Choose a credit union with a nationwide network. I have Lockheed and they’ve been fantastic, rates are consistently among the best, and I can access nationwide ATMs and member CU’s.

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
I have USAA and NFCU. You should have joined NFCU yesterday.
Yep. Same here. I've been with USAA since around 1998. I got a NFCU account probably around 5 years ago.

USAA has gone to hell. Every time I need something they are a pain in the @$$ to deal with now. I dropped my insurance with them probably 10 years ago.

Here in El Paso where we have a huge military base in Fort Bliss and no USAA on site branches.

VERY happy with NFCU. Loan processes are very simple. Local branches so if I need to get a large sum of cash to make a purchase it's easy. Can walk in and do a wire transfer if I need too. All around better experience these days.

I highly recommend NFCU if you are looking to dump USAA.

Sent from my SM-G950U using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Users who are viewing this thread