~My New "Terminator" Car Show Display~

04sleeper

Runs On "Liquid Gold"
Super Moderator
Since I have been taking my car to shows I have always wanted to have some sort of display so I decided to make one.

I went to Hobby Lobby and picked out a frame and stand then made a picture with one of my photos in Photoshop. Then I had it printed at Sams Club and framed it. Here's how it turned out.

Let me know what you think.

4918618830_00e780943c_b.jpg

4918618878_674f76ac7d_b.jpg

jtm

now more boost included
Established Member
great idea. ive seen some signs at car shows, just never knew where people had them made. the only thing i dont like is the writing on the car picture. your car is too nice to be covered with the words, but hey it way better than i could do

04sleeper

Runs On "Liquid Gold"
Super Moderator
Looks great :beer:
Thanks. :beer:

Very cool, Kevin. Nice job! :rockon:

Now, go wash that car. I know how dirty you keep that thing. :lol1:
LOL. Thanks Brian. :beer:

great idea. ive seen some signs at car shows, just never knew where people had them made. the only thing i dont like is the writing on the car picture. your car is too nice to be covered with the words, but hey it way better than i could do
I wasn't too sure about the writing on the car either, but I couldn't figure a better way to do it yet.

The photo poster is only $8 at Sams so I could easily make another one if I choose to change it.

oldmodman

Established Member
Very Nice!

It really adds to a car on display.

Now, a very important piece of advice. If you display on grass stake the display into the ground, and if on a paved parking lot, use sand bags to keep it tied down. You never know when a gust of wind or an obnoxious little kid might knock it into your car, or worse the one next to you.

TRBO VNM

great idea. my only comment is the text explaining the car/mods. based on the pics, it isn't very easy to read. I am not sure how it looks in person, but if it is just sa hard to read, you may want to try and different color font or relocate where the list is in the pic.

04sleeper

Runs On "Liquid Gold"
Super Moderator
Looks really nice!! I need to make one of these.
Thanks. :beer:

Too bad you're going to need a new one every month with the way you switch wheels. :)
:lol: No biggie. It only cost $8 to print at Sams. I can always print another one.

Very Nice!

It really adds to a car on display.

Now, a very important piece of advice. If you display on grass stake the display into the ground, and if on a paved parking lot, use sand bags to keep it tied down. You never know when a gust of wind or an obnoxious little kid might knock it into your car, or worse the one next to you.
That is very good advice. I'll have to look into getting both the spike and sand bags before I head out to a show. I would hate to see it fly away or break. :(

:beer:

:lol:
Turned out nice Kevin.
Thanks Brad. :beer:

great idea. my only comment is the text explaining the car/mods. based on the pics, it isn't very easy to read. I am not sure how it looks in person, but if it is just sa hard to read, you may want to try and different color font or relocate where the list is in the pic.
I hear you Jason. I had kind of mixed emotions about the lettering. Here's how it looks in person.

4919238695_5e9ffaca10_b.jpg

I though about turning the opacity down on the background picture to show the lettering a little better but I don't know which looks better.

Like this:
4919863380_4261f48763_b.jpg

What do you think? :shrug:

Finaltheorem47

I'm a Lead Farmer
Established Member
The idea is good, but the poster isn't great. There is way too much detail causing distractions. You want the viewer to look at your car, and your text. Having other things in the background cause a distraction which makes what you want them to focus on, less likely to happen. The picture of the car is good, but the background is one of the worst you could pick lol. There is way too much stuff going on with the fence and the railing making it hard to read anything. Second, putting text over a busy background is often a no no, esp in your case where you have a lot of text, not just a couple words.

Lets try this again, but

1) Get another shot of the car with out a busy background, such as a parking lot or somewhere where there isn't more detail in the background than the foreground.
2) Don't put the text over the car itself. Your subject is the car, therefore it shouldn't be covered up by the text.
3) Don't try to fix it by lowering the opacity. Your entire picture should not be a background for the text, you want to show two main things. The text and the car.

I have to go to class but I can say a little more if you want when i get back tonight.

Last edited:

04sleeper

Runs On "Liquid Gold"
Super Moderator
The idea is good, but the poster isn't great. There is way too much detail causing distractions. You want the viewer to look at your car, and your text. Having other things in the background cause a distraction which makes what you want them to focus on, less likely to happen. The picture of the car is good, but the background is one of the worst you could pick lol. There is way too much stuff going on with the fence and the railing making it hard to read anything. Second, putting text over a busy background is often a no no, esp in your case where you have a lot of text, not just a couple words.

Lets try this again, but

1) Get another shot of the car with out a busy background, such as a parking lot or somewhere where there isn't more detail in the background than the foreground.
2) Don't put the text over the car itself. Your subject is the car, therefore it shouldn't be covered up by the text.
3) Don't try to fix it by lowering the opacity. Your entire picture should not be a background for the text, you want to show two main things. The text and the car.

I have to go to class but I can say a little more if you want when i get back tonight.
I appreciate the response. Could you find a picture of an example for me? I am trying to picture it in my head.

Thanks.

JasonW

2xScrewed Vert
Established Member
I appreciate the response. Could you find a picture of an example for me? I am trying to picture it in my head.

Thanks.

IMO, something along the lines of stangaholic's signature pic would be awesome blown up to full size. Words would be easily readable on the dark background, and not take away anything from the car. Regardless, awesome effort. Have been thinking of doing the something like that for mine.

TRBO VNM

I think finaltheorem summed it up nicely. while I like the fence in the background with the larger bold TERMINATOR text, it may be adding too much to the picture overall like he was saying. I wouldn't fade the picture either, but working on something to have the text/car offset would probably work better and having a solid background behind the text is probably what would work best. then you can just play with the text color and size.

Engine, Transmission, etc., they all stand out because of the font size. The rest is just too small imo based on the other colors going on with the text over it. offset them and maybe a different pic as suggested may be the ticket.

Finaltheorem47

I'm a Lead Farmer
Established Member
I'm sorry I can't provide you with any real car portraits to demonstrate what i mean, but I do have signatures I used to make back when I was addicted to this MMORPG called Runescape. I made a lot of signatures for me and other people (my gamer tag was bsjoe).

These are what I'm trying to get you to see. You want to identify what your foreground (aka what you want people to see is) and your background (what fills in the empty spaces). You don't ever want your background to be more visible/eye catching/detailed than the foreground.

nightsky.png

Tree, butterfly's, and my text was the focus for this

lastbsjoe.png

halflifemist0qe.png

conkerbsjoe4pq.png

bsjoemetrioid7em.png

Now these are some signatures I made which I did a poor job on. The background is just too busy, esp the hulk one and your eyes just sort of wander around the whole image instead of focusing on what you want (usually the game render and the text).

joehulk1og.png

ZackRot.png

bsjoerock.png

I really hope that these examples show what I mean to you.

I'd probably start by looking at posters for car events like:

umdmeet2008front.jpg

Notice the placement of the text. All of the text in non important, boring, areas that are generally the same, like on top of a blue sky, on top of the building, and on the road. What you do NOT want is to have half the text in front of the tree and the other half in the sky. When the background changes under the text, it makes it hard to read.

Last edited:

Finaltheorem47

I'm a Lead Farmer
Established Member
Ok, I made these two examples of text placement to show you what I mean. The car and text I want to be in the foreground and the rest to be in the background. The photographer already made my job easier by taking the pic while the car was moving making the background more blurry to begin with. Second, my text placement is not only on the car, which I want people to look at (so don't put the text over the your main focus) and over a background that is going to be hard to read.

The second pic I put the text over the blue sky and over the moving road. Which version do you think is better?

2010 UMD spring meet picture thread

bgood.png

bbad.png

Users who are viewing this thread