My Barn Find

sonic_4.6

Cobra Commander
Established Member
Best find out why it was detonating and make sure that's been corrected or those new pistons will end up like the old ones.

This is detonation damage.:nonono:

I'm willing to bet the cause was a 14-16 year old that went WOT everywhere he went. :lol1:

It's a completely different engine that is now being used.

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
I'm willing to bet the cause was a 14-16 year old that went WOT everywhere he went. :lol1:

It's a completely different engine that is now being used.

Those early 2.3L cars had really crumby EGR and vacuum spark management, plus any oil burning would lower the already low regular gas octane and ping like crazy.

Too bad you couldn't sneak an EFI intake, fuel and spark management system on there from a wrecked Ranger somewhere.

Nice progress so far I have to say.

I bought a new Pinto in 71. That got rear ended and totaled by an 18 wheeler. I did not die in a ball of flames for some reason, car was almost 1/2 it's former size, but did not catch fire.
Then I bought a used 72 that I put a header and a glass pack on and beat the living hell out of it.

Sheared the input shaft off doing a WOT clutch drop at some unGOdly RPM.

Overall I think I owned about 5 of them between me and my girl friend(now wife).
Then I switched over to 2.3L mustang IIs and modded one for auto cross in H/ stock.... Same basic car.

WP64

I Couldn't Care Less...
Established Member
Glidden kicked serious pro-stock ass with his Pinto. My second car was a '72 Pinto with a 289 swapped in, so I have a bit of a soft spot for them. I can't remember the last time I saw a Pinto/Bobcat on the road though. Good luck with the new project!

glidden_pinto_detail.jpg

A high school friend of mine's Dad ran a Comp Eliminator and D/G Pinto in the mid-1970's, it ran 8.97@155, his families Pinto racer was the schnitz. I'll see if I can get him in here to post a couple pics.

Last edited:

sonic_4.6

Cobra Commander
Established Member
Small update. Exhaust is on, everything is bolted up, accessories are on, pretty much everything is ready except the rear suspension and carburetor. Got the battery hooked up and all the lights seem to work except the cluster for some reason. Oh well.

0507122024.jpg

P1000041.jpg

Also got my vintage plates on, which are era correct.

P1000060.jpg

P1000066.jpg

jrd699

All men not created equal
Established Member
funny, till douche calls cops, on the cops.. Shoulda taken him for "questioning"

sonic_4.6

Cobra Commander
Established Member
Installed Speedway Mini-Stock Pinto leaf springs and a pair of new shocks lastnight. Busted some bolts off, but other then that everything bolted up good. I also tried draining the tank, but only a small amount came out. Tomorrow I'm going to crank on it and see if it starts. That's pretty much all that's left.

Old vs new
P1000076.jpg

They were shot
P1000078.jpg

New springs on, painted black.
P1000080.jpg

P1000082.jpg

Back on the ground for the first time.
P1000085.jpg

P1000087.jpg

sonic_4.6

Cobra Commander
Established Member
It's pretty neat to hear all of the random Pinto stories every time I go to buy a part for the car. Most of them are quite funny. Piece of shit cars. :D

Users who are viewing this thread