mt82 to 6R80 step by step with pics

saunupe1911

Established Member
I see it's the 2012 shifter judging from pics. Dang! My biggest request is manual control of the 6R80. That streetfighter shifter with the ugly T handle won't cut it. I'm hoping the 2015 5.0's will have paddle shifters that can be retrofitted into S197's

3 oh 2

Established Member
just got my car back from ford service they installed a new mt82 because my original onr was getting stuck in 4th so tomorrow I will start my 6r80 conversion also I should have it running by saturday

bob450

Established Member
today i drove my car on public road with manual ecu on fail safe mode very slowly!!!
unfortunely the gear selector doesnt seems to engage manually 123d but i can drive i dont know wich gear, reverse neutural and park also work...i can drive to dealer to flash new eec....

i also post how to build an auto trans filler:beer:

a>

2013-04-11 19.25.52 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

:beer:

Last edited:

BryanW

Established Member
This thread is awesome! I'm going to be doing this swap in my 2011 Shelby as soon as we can figure out what all is needed. Doing this is a way better option than any manual trans, and cheaper. The 6R80 is the best thing to happen to a Mustang since the 5.0!

I own a 2011 GT auto, i buy my cars based on the drivetrain. Cummins so i bought a dodge, 3.8 turbo so i bought many buick grand nationals, 5.0 so i bought my first mustang 2 years ago.

Dude, this 6r80 is nice to drive! Im a HP guy and this trans is the best ive had and ive owned over 130 cars from old to new.

Im thinking of just buying a wrecked 5.0 auto for the drivetrain and stuffing it into a old poncho. New 5.8 with a auto but they wont build it for me:beer:

stang910

Established Member
After a couple months of actually having all my parts I finally got around to starting my MT82 to 6R80 swap. I spent about 8-9 hours doing it all today and I'm just about done with it. I still need to hook up the trans cooler lines to the cooler, modify my center console to fit chrome shifter bezel, and I'm going to get the auto brake reservoir and need some converter nuts. Hopefully early next week I'll get the new PCM flashed and be all done.

bob450

Established Member
good luck! any questions just ask !!
tuesday i will get my new eec flash at dealer:banana::banana::banana:
the trans cooler lines are hard to install best result disconnect quick plug with special tool the grill should be remove ac cooler move to install trans cooler...

Bud

Established Member
After a couple months of actually having all my parts I finally got around to starting my MT82 to 6R80 swap. I spent about 8-9 hours doing it all today and I'm just about done with it. I still need to hook up the trans cooler lines to the cooler, modify my center console to fit chrome shifter bezel, and I'm going to get the auto brake reservoir and need some converter nuts. Hopefully early next week I'll get the new PCM flashed and be all done.

Glad to hear it is finally coming together, haven't thrown my transmission in yet either, but should be soon.

bob450

Established Member
we sould maybe start a new tread :idea:

RACE TO START ENGINE WITH auto trans LOL :beer::dancenana:

stang910

Established Member
good luck! any questions just ask !!
tuesday i will get my new eec flash at dealer:banana::banana::banana:
the trans cooler lines are hard to install best result disconnect quick plug with special tool the grill should be remove ac cooler move to install trans cooler...

I already have the lines and cooler in place, just not hooked up. The Paxton kit has you modify the lines in that area and I left those parts at the house today. I didn't have to move the condenser or radiator to get the cooler in, I just slid it in between them from the bottom. That was the easy part, actually connecting the lines will be a challenge I'm sure.

Glad to hear it is finally coming together, haven't thrown my transmission in yet either, but should be soon.

Thanks. So you have your new trans already? Did you get the 4r70w conversion?

stang910

Established Member
I had a Ford tech come by and program my auto ECU and keys but it resulted in a no start. Even though the keys were programmed when he checked it it was showing a transmitter mismatch. So I turned the PATs off in the tune and still no start. Finally gave up for tonight and will try again when he gets some more time.

bob450

Established Member
i went to dealer today i dont have the body strategy on my trans that is a pain in the a** :cuss:can not locate on body valve the strategy if anyone want to share their code one on their auto trans it will be very appreciate we only see the 13 digits but missing 12...:poke:

need 13 digits strategy+
12 digits body

thank:rockon:
dan

bob450

Established Member
finally my car is runnung ................................. perflectly!!!:banana::banana::banana::banana::banana:
:pepper::pepper::pepper::pepper::pepper::beer:

the tech copy the trans info from a f150 and she.... work perfectly. i only have abs light and advance track minor ussue to fix

i hope stang910 will be able to accomplish the same result:rockon:

i will post later a final step by step with alot of pictures and number references:rolling::pop:

Last edited:

Bud

Established Member
Awesome news! Thanks for putting this all together, I'm sure that the steps you put together will help me when trying to swap to a manual ECM.

Enjoy the fast new ETs! :banana:

bob450

Established Member
thank duece212 i can teach you how to trick manual ecu to work with any trans give me few time i will post schema:beer:

bob450

Established Member
i been driving my car for day 2 everithing is ok exept for abs module (code u201a:57-8b-abs calibration non compatible) :shrug:
it is not a bad thing because my advance track is always off :banana::banana:

also my gear is 3:55 the thec can not select this gear because auto has only3.31 or 3.15 choice.

i like to tank my ford tech Luc:beer:

plus the bama team for their amazing support they have a bunch info on ecu and technical advise when i was asking very technical question they have always a fast response :rockon::beer:

stang910

Established Member
I finally got my car running! Drove it around a little bit and the car runs and shifts great. Programming the PCM was the one thing I was worried about since there's no information about it, but it isn't a big deal. You need the transmission solenoid strategy and the solenoid body ID which can be found on the drivers side of the 6R80 and you can use your VIN code. Not sure why bob450's ABS isn't working, but mine is doing just fine. When I ordered all my parts I found an auto car that had the same build date as mine on the net and I ordered my harness and PCM using the VIN code from that car. Maybe that's why I don't have any issues. Anybody thinking of doing this swap and needs info on it feel free to ask. It's a pretty straight forward swap.

Users who are viewing this thread