More than half of all new car loans in Canada financed for 84 months

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Problem with low interest rates through like Ford Credit, is you don’t get the huge discounts like I got on mine. At least that’s the way I understand it.

Ford offers some rebates if you pay cash or finance through an outside bank, or they offer you a lower interest rate (and sometimes with a couple rebates), or all their public rebates if you finance through Ford Credit at standard rates.

1.) If you choose option #1, then Ford gives you some rebates and you can finance it or pay cash, and it's no different to them.
2.) If you choose option #2, then Ford takes the rebates, and buys down the interest rate. So in their mind, it's all the same.
3.) If you choose option #3, you'll have the highest amount of rebates, however the interest rate will be higher as well. In this case, Ford Credit is prospering from the mark up on the rate.

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
Ford offers some rebates if you pay cash or finance through an outside bank, or they offer you a lower interest rate (and sometimes with a couple rebates), or all their public rebates if you finance through Ford Credit at standard rates.

1.) If you choose option #1, then Ford gives you some rebates and you can finance it or pay cash, and it's no different to them.
2.) If you choose option #2, then Ford takes the rebates, and buys down the interest rate. So in their mind, it's all the same.
3.) If you choose option #3, you'll have the highest amount of rebates, however the interest rate will be higher as well. In this case, Ford Credit is prospering from the mark up on the rate.
I borrowed $10k to get a additional $1k off. Made 1 payment and paid it off, so I still saved almost $900.

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I borrowed $10k to get a additional $1k off. Made 1 payment and paid it off, so I still saved almost $900.

Out of curiosity, did your dealer instruct you to make one payment then pay it off, or did you do that by choice? Also, did they tell you that you had to finance $10,000, or did you just randomly come up with that number?

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
I guess that extra "o" was too expensive as well
cool-funny-salty-meme.jpg

Serpent

Bike or Cobra?
Established Member
I'm very interested in a left over Focus ST or Fiesta ST, (leaning heavily towards the FoST). Is it possible to get one with 60 months or less @ 0% financing? Planning maybe to put $5k down.

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
Out of curiosity, did your dealer instruct you to make one payment then pay it off, or did you do that by choice? Also, did they tell you that you had to finance $10,000, or did you just randomly come up with that number?
They mentioned making 1 Nick, and I believe it was 10k to get the additional rebates. I walked in with a check ready to buy it outright.

Kiohtee

Established Member
They mentioned making 1 Nick, and I believe it was 10k to get the additional rebates. I walked in with a check ready to buy it outright.

That's a little fishy, but maybe Volvo is different, so I'll let Nick finish what he's getting at before chiming in. Just to see if I'm right. Lol

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I remember back when the norm for an auto loan was 36 month & 48 months. Then as vehicle prices increased, we saw 60 months. And then came 72 month loans. And now we see 84 months. With prices north of $40K, it was inevitable that we'd see 84 months to make the purchase of a $50K+ vehicle "affordable". The terms is directly related to the high cost of the vehicles we drive. I would never get a 7 year note on a vehicle. Depreciation on a new vehicle increases the sting. I've leased my last 4 vehicles and I'll likely continue to lease.

Corbic

Established Member
Premium Member
I remember back when the norm for an auto loan was 36 month & 48 months. Then as vehicle prices increased, we saw 60 months. And then came 72 month loans. And now we see 84 months. With prices north of $40K, it was inevitable that we'd see 84 months to make the purchase of a $50K+ vehicle "affordable". The terms is directly related to the high cost of the vehicles we drive. I would never get a 7 year note on a vehicle. Depreciation on a new vehicle increases the sting. I've leased my last 4 vehicles and I'll likely continue to lease.

Vehicles also only lasted 3-4 years back then and warranties used to be 3/36k powertrain and in many cases that’s how long some engines lasted.

Average registered vehicle age is now 11 years old.

tones_RS3

I like members members.
Established Member
Premium Member
...and after reading this thread I remember why I prefer a used car. Today's vehicle prices are off the charts. It's crazy.
You're right though, they really are!

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I'm very interested in a left over Focus ST or Fiesta ST, (leaning heavily towards the FoST). Is it possible to get one with 60 months or less @ 0% financing? Planning maybe to put $5k down.
Yes. But you give up $4k in rebates.. probably not worth it.
That's bullshit. See below.
Interesting, the last 2 I did they asked for 3 payments before doing a refinance
After a customer makes one payment, the dealer gets to keep some of the reserve paid to them by Ford Credit, after 3 payments the dealer keeps all of it.

Sent from my potato using Tapatalk

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
Yes. But you give up $4k in rebates.. probably not worth it.That's bullshit. See below.After a customer makes one payment, the dealer gets to keep some of the reserve paid to them by Ford Credit, after 3 payments the dealer keeps all of it.

You lost me. They said if I financed $10k I’d get a additional $1k off. The truck had a sticker of just shy of $47. I paid $42,200 with tax, tag and everything. Am I missing something here?

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
You lost me. They said if I financed $10k I’d get a additional $1k off. The truck had a sticker of just shy of $47. I paid $42,200 with tax, tag and everything. Am I missing something here?
They get paid by Ford Credit to send them finance deals. You had to finance through Ford Credit in order to get the "Ford Credit Retail Customer Cash" rebate of $1,000. You couldve financed $5000 or less, then paid it off before your first payment. Since you financed $10k, made a payment, then paid it off...the selling deal was able to collect more money from Ford.

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
They get paid by Ford Credit to send them finance deals. You had to finance through Ford Credit in order to get the "Ford Credit Retail Customer Cash" rebate of $1,000. You couldve financed $5000 or less, then paid it off before your first payment. Since you financed $10k, made a payment, then paid it off...the selling deal was able to collect more money from Ford.

Ah, I still did good. Thanks for the insight. I get free oil changes...lol

Users who are viewing this thread