Misbadged - Help me Out

1Kona_Venom

US Army (Ret)
Established Member
Premium Member
Good read
I'm not worried about devaluation of my GT500. Nor am I worried about the brand integrity of SVT or Ford Performance.

What bothers me is this "respect all builds" crap that some people push about cars and trucks. If I'm looking at a car with Cobra badges on it and it isnt a genuine SVT product, yeah I'm going to scoff at the owner's decision. I sure won't try to stop you, but you'll be the one having to explain why your GT is wearing Cobra badges at the local meet-up. Yes, you will be THAT guy.

Kinda like trans people. They wanna dress like a chick, live as a chick and be treated like one and still have male anatomy, more power to em. Their life, live as they wish. But they're deluding the shit out of themselves if they think they won't catch shit for it. Because ITS WEIRD.

Or guys that wear nothing but Harley gear riding a metric bike. They can buy and wear the Harley costume, but unless the bike was built by Harley, they're a poser. Sorry, just reality.

People that have 1000HP Coyotes make way more power than my stockish GT500. I damn sure respect that build. So why throw a Cobra badge on it? Thats ego insecurity right there. Expecting people to automatically "respect your build" when it's not a Cobra or GT500 is ridiculous.

You could put a Cobra badge on a jigsaw powered dildo if it made you happy. But just because an owner has the right to decorate their property as they want doesnt mean I dont have the right to express how large I feel the phagotry factor is when they ask me.

Sent from my SM-G975U using the svtperformance.com mobile app

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Some of you are paying WAY more attention to what others choose to do with their cars. It's only a car, folks. Take a deep breath. Now let it out. In the end, getting pissed or offended because some dude does something to his car that bothers you personally is, well, a waste of your time. You can laugh at what someone else does and move on. Or shake your head and move on. But to actually get upset? I don't get it. Okay, now again, just take a deep breath. Let it out.
upload_2020-3-7_7-32-30.png

1 Alibi 2

Veteran,...retired Navy !
Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
I've always looked @ fender wings as a " SAI S/S " conversion add on.
No wings on mine.
I've always looked @ aftermarket hoods, ( all of them ), as something you do because your blower won't fit under a stock hood, a reason beside cosmetics.
Stock hood on mine.
S/S rocker stripes are part of a S/S conversion, adding them to a non SAI conversion seems dishonest to me.
OEM rocker stripes on mine.
...................To my eye, less is usually plenty.
In a free society, one can express themselves as they see fit, there should be wrong !!

Bullitt1448

Established Member
I wonder how many ‘57 Chevy Belairs with all the options started life as a 150 or a 210? Not too many people seem to get their panties in a knot about those clones.

stang910

Established Member
Some of you are paying WAY more attention to what others choose to do with their cars. It's only a car, folks. Take a deep breath. Now let it out. In the end, getting pissed or offended because some dude does something to his car that bothers you personally is, well, a waste of your time. You can laugh at what someone else does and move on. Or shake your head and move on. But to actually get upset? I don't get it. Okay, now again, just take a deep breath. Let it out.
View attachment 1626913
This is exactly right. I used to be like that when I was younger. Throughout the years I've worked on so many cars I've realized they are only cars no matter what your working on. If you strip a mustang down to the unibody it's nothing more than a body in white ready to make it whatever you want.

I've owned and sold so many cars and trucks losing money every time. Eventually you have to start asking yourself why.

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
A tribute car is a different story, and they’re usually older muscle cars that are expensive if original but relatively easy to make from a standard model.
On your new GT500, the guy probably liked the SS styling and wanted to replicate that. Would be good to see pics.
I probably wouldn’t keep the badges or SS script, but I think the ‘side wings’ do look good and several places places like BPS make them without saying Super Snake. Ditto on the side stripe, as you could replace the SS script with GT500. I’d personally leave the SS over the top stripes as they look better than standard GT500.
Good luck on getting your new 500, throw some pics up here when you get her home.
-J

Bullitt1448

Established Member
A tribute car, a clone, an aper, a recreation, call it what you will, it's all the same. someone has taken one car and made it look like something that it isn't. There are plenty of '99-04 Mustangs out there that look like 03-04 Cobras, so what? lots of 65-66 fastbacks made to look like GT350's so what? Most of us do something to personalize our rides, there are very few pure stock cors out there. Hell how many 03-04 Cobras arwe wearing the snake instead of the horse in the grill? Willing to bet more snakes than horses out there on that model. Someone out there soon will clone a 2020 GT500, so what? What about companies like Reveloution? They make great products, Love to have one myself if I could afford it and I am willing to bet there are a lot of clone haters out there that would be drooling over a Reveloution car if they could afford/justify one too.

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
A tribute car, a clone, an aper, a recreation, call it what you will, it's all the same. someone has taken one car and made it look like something that it isn't. There are plenty of '99-04 Mustangs out there that look like 03-04 Cobras, so what? lots of 65-66 fastbacks made to look like GT350's so what? Most of us do something to personalize our rides, there are very few pure stock cors out there. Hell how many 03-04 Cobras arwe wearing the snake instead of the horse in the grill? Willing to bet more snakes than horses out there on that model. Someone out there soon will clone a 2020 GT500, so what? What about companies like Reveloution? They make great products, Love to have one myself if I could afford it and I am willing to bet there are a lot of clone haters out there that would be drooling over a Reveloution car if they could afford/justify one too.
As far as the 03-04 Cobra's go, adding the Cobra grill badge to.... wait for it.... a COBRA is a VASTLY different undertaking than taking a non-Cobra and doing the same.

At the core of it, to me, is the concept of deceit. Attempting to pass off to the world the notion that your car/truck/bus/motorcycle is something that it is not. Of course, the act of adding a higher level badge to a lower level car is harmless. Its the intent of gaining the accolade of owning a rarer, typically more powerful car from people who dont know your ride isnt as advertised that I take issue with.

I do not buy the idea that its a way for fans of a particular level of car that cant afford it to participate in the ownership experience. The "it looks cool" only holds so much water.

But by all means, if adding a Cobra to a non Cobra car, or SS badges to a classic Malibu or Z06/ZR1 badges to a base Corvette makes you feel like an owner of the genuine article, have fun.

Ill still think those people are posers.

ajaf1656

Established Member
I guess some people are just prone to the wadding of the panties. Imagine how life must be for this sad pathetic people. Please leave your car stock for their sake.

BAS

Established Member

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member
I've always looked @ fender wings as a " SAI S/S " conversion add on.
No wings on mine.
I've always looked @ aftermarket hoods, ( all of them ), as something you do because your blower won't fit under a stock hood, a reason beside cosmetics.
Stock hood on mine.
S/S rocker stripes are part of a S/S conversion, adding them to a non SAI conversion seems dishonest to me.
OEM rocker stripes on mine.
...................To my eye, less is usually plenty.
In a free society, one can express themselves as they see fit, there should be wrong !!

What about wheels?
:D

1Kona_Venom

US Army (Ret)
Established Member
Premium Member
Me and the wife got back with the "new car" in question that I asked about in Post#1

It is OUR belief, and always has been,

.........any false portrayal through the application of words, hieroglyphics, letters or symbols that falsely reflect a higher trim level, shall not be exercised in our household.

Wing badges and the rocker panel SS stripe will be removed

Here is the car in question

https://www.svtperformance.com/threads/my-2013-the-keeper.1184040/

Bullitt1448

Established Member
I have removed badges, decals, stickers trim from most of my vehicles. Debaged my fox, took the 5.0 badges off, does that mean I am trying to emulate a lower trim level? By op's logic that would be bad, I took the gt badges and lettering off my '01 Bullitt, does that mean I am lowering the value of all the V6 cars out there? I took the FX4 decalas off my F150, am I trying to convince others that I have a lower trim level truck? no. I just prefer the clean look, I am not trying to convince anyone else of anything. I suspect that others that add badges aren't trying to fool anyone, they just like the look those badges bring.

SSSSSSSSSSSSVT

Established Member
My car is a 2011 GT and now has cobra badges on it. I don't have them on there to trick people that I have a GT500, I have it because it's what I like.
View attachment 1626892

Nice car but the snakes got to go. Only Shelby’s should wear those Cobras. Put the 5.0 badges on and be proud of what you own. Fooling people that it’s a Shelby is lame.

stang910

Established Member
Nice car but the snakes got to go. Only Shelby’s should wear those Cobras. Put the 5.0 badges on and be proud of what you own. Fooling people that it’s a Shelby is lame.
Honestly I would have, but I had an issue with the grille. Since Ford molds the grille with the shape of the snake emblem you can't just remove it without cutting and remolding the grille. Anything you put over it 1 would have to be huge and 2 would simply look stupid.

I built the car for me and nobody else so the quality of the job I did will always come over anything you guys or anybody else have to say. IMO The 13/14 GT500 is easily the best looking S197 , but the GT got the better drivetrain. I built what I feel like Ford should have built.

In the end everybody has their thing. Some people will buy something because they either don't have the time or the skill and I have no issue with that. Then you have guys like me that can repair and paint a show quality car, build it to handle over 1000hp and then turn around and tune it the exact way you want it to drive.

You guys think I'm a poser for putting something as silly as an emblem on my car to make it look the way I want and I think you guys are posers because this hobby is about hot rodding and 90% of you can't do 10% of what I've done to my car. So the next time you guys take your car to the shop to have that CAI tuned that you just installed and are proud of I hope you think of me.

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member
I'm replacing the motor in my 2001 Bullitt. I have a 1999 Cobra motor, trans and IRS to put in it and I'm still considering a Coyote motor. If I do that, what should I do? I really don't want my car to make other people feel bad, but it won't be a GT, Bullitt or Cobra anymore.

It's still a Bullitt (GT) regardless of what you do to it.
Ask yourself this:
If I sell it, would I advertise it as a Bullitt?

SSSSSSSSSSSSVT

Established Member
Honestly I would have, but I had an issue with the grille. Since Ford molds the grille with the shape of the snake emblem you can't just remove it without cutting and remolding the grille. Anything you put over it 1 would have to be huge and 2 would simply look stupid.

I built the car for me and nobody else so the quality of the job I did will always come over anything you guys or anybody else have to say. IMO The 13/14 GT500 is easily the best looking S197 , but the GT got the better drivetrain. I built what I feel like Ford should have built.

In the end everybody has their thing. Some people will buy something because they either don't have the time or the skill and I have no issue with that. Then you have guys like me that can repair and paint a show quality car, build it to handle over 1000hp and then turn around and tune it the exact way you want it to drive.

You guys think I'm a poser for putting something as silly as an emblem on my car to make it look the way I want and I think you guys are posers because this hobby is about hot rodding and 90% of you can't do 10% of what I've done to my car. So the next time you guys take your car to the shop to have that CAI tuned that you just installed and are proud of I hope you think of me.

That doesn’t explain the cobras on the fenders. Other grills besides the Shelby grill will also work on your car. It’s not like you don’t have a choice. Like others have said I could care less about what people do to their cars, I just put this into the same category as the guy with a Honda Civic with BMW logos on it or the V6 mustangs with over the top stripes.

As far as the drivetrains go, the GT500s came with the Ford GT engine. This will forever cement this car as something special. You can make a 5.0 with 1000hp and it will still never have the notoriety as the 5.4L in the GT500. Again I think you need to focus on what you have and stop comparing it to something that it will never be.

Users who are viewing this thread