Misbadged - Help me Out

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member
I honestly don't care. I bought the car for $1,600 because I like the new edge body style and the Bullitt is the closest to what I want the car to look like in the end.

No one said you cared.
You said you didn't know what to call it. I'm telling you a Bullitt is a Bullitt. Just helping with your conundrum.

Makobra

Mostly Peaceful
Established Member
personally I don't get it. mustangs are cool but the special ones are still mustangs.
misrepresenting a car isn't wrong its just kind of dumb.

be original but I guess if you can't do that do what you want.

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
i'm considering this for my cobra. i'm deleting the sideskirts and i traded the hood and bumper for V6 stuff :D
I was tempted to do this when I had to rebuild my front end from the track damage I incurred nearly 5 years ago.

Remove all Shelby badges, V6 bumpers and hood, Mustang grill and decklid badge... it was very tempting....

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
I can understand peoples view points on both sides of this debate.

My personal take is it should not matter how people decide to badge their car as long as they do NOT try and say it is the real thing and so long as they do NOT try to dupe people when selling the car.

I had a 98GT. When the movie gone in 60 seconds came out I could not afford a 67 Eleanor. So, I took the design ques from Eleanor and applied them to my 98GT. I put a body kit on it. I put GT350 side stripes on it. I redid my interior in leather and had GT350 embroidered into the front seats. I put the Shelby GT350 fender emblems on it and I even installed a set of Halibrand wheels that came from the company that made the wheels for the movie car. However, I NEVER passed it off as a Shelby or any type of special edition Mustang. I ALWAYS told people it was 98GT that I tried to make look like Eleanor.

A lot of people thought it was cool. However, there where those VERY few who were pissed it had GT350 badging on it. All I could say is tough S#!T if they did not like it. It was my car and I built it that way because I liked how Eleanor looked. I never passed it off as anything other than a 98GT. So hatters could kiss my you know what because I was honest.

Now if someone is a liar about what it really is then I "DO" have a problem with that.

Eleanorangle_edited.jpg

Eleanorrearside_edited.jpg

Eleanor1.jpg

Eleanor2a.jpg

TerminatoRS

Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
At the core of it, to me, is the concept of deceit. Attempting to pass off to the world the notion that your car/truck/bus/motorcycle is something that it is not. Of course, the act of adding a higher level badge to a lower level car is harmless. Its the intent of gaining the accolade of owning a rarer, typically more powerful car from people who dont know your ride isnt as advertised that I take issue with.

This^

Great example: I attended a judged car show with a Terminator-specific section. I was 1 of 3 at a show of 250-300 Mustangs. Guy rolls in and parks next to me. Naturally, I stroll over to investigate. First thing I notice are the incorrect front brakes. Then his door opens and I see the wrong interior. In fairness, the owner immediately stated that it was a GT with Cobra body parts and that he told the person parking the cars it wasn't real. However, had he won some kind award over me, you're damn right I would have been pissed. Not necessarily at the owner since he was upfront, but at the successful scam he would have pulled off thanks to the uninformed judges and spectators.

Yes, most of us have modified our vehicles in some way. By the same token, most of us haven't also modified the badge on the fender. Why? In my opinion, this is because we recognize that there's something more that comes with owning a certain tier/trim/level of a vehicle. In the OP's case, he could strap every SS part to the car if it makes him happy, but it'll never be a true SS in my eyes. In my case, the '03 Cobra came out when I was 18. I couldn't afford it then, but I still had the itch and got a GT. When I was 25, I bought my Cobra. I had moved half way across the state to an unfamiliar town for a promotion, worked 60+ hours a week, and basically lived for the weekends when I could go home and be with people I knew. The way I see it, I earned the Cobra and the accolades that came with it. Don't get me wrong; I enjoyed the hell out of the GT too, but it lacked that exclusivity/rarity/"special" factor I craved. No, I don't think it has anything to do with status as it's certainly not an expensive or plush vehicle. I could strap every Cobra part to a GT, but nobody's going to knock at my door and hand me an SVT certificate. The total Cobra production number won't increase a notch. Same story with the OP's car, a Hellcat, a Z06...etc. Make it what you want, but just don't pass it off as something it's not.

Makobra

Mostly Peaceful
Established Member
and to me for a GT guy to pretend like he's a cobra guy all that really does is diminish the qualities of the GT.
I didn't really want a cobra because the additional cost just wasn't worth it to me but the one I came across needed a good home and had a fair price.

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
The bull shit silver gt 350

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com
Well thank you for stepping up to the plate and owning it. That's your opinion and you're entitled to it.

Good thing:

a) I didn't build the car to please you.
b) You didn't spend your money to build it.
c) Your opinion doesn't mean S#!T to me.

Thank you for playing anyway.

Sent from my SM-G950U using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Users who are viewing this thread