Misbadged - Help me Out

COOL COBRA

Hell Yes!
Established Member
Care to explain in detail? I’ll give you an example to break down for me.
Buddy of mine has a real 04 cobra that’s a dedicated race car. Nothing is original other than the body panels. It’s a Turbo coyote, powerglide, 8.8 solid rear, full drag suspension and gutted interior.
The other car is a race car as well but a GT. It has the same exact build, but looks just like my buddies 04 cobra other than the color.
So you have 2 cars that are the same but you think one shouldn’t have the badges because it started life as a GT?
Explain? Sure. No problem. Let's start with the FIRST WORD IN THIS THREAD TITLE. Misbadged. That's how I read it anyway.
Your reply to OP mentioned a completely different subject. Heavily modded cars.
I see no legit comparison.
And to quote you, "It's really that simple".
Y'all have a good day.

jpro

Disoriented Poster
Established Member
I have a regular GT performance package. However, it has GT350R stripes and spoiler. I don't pretend that it is an R...I still have the 5.0 fender badges on it and on the decklid I have a coyote badge. I like the spoiler and stripes...I don't think anyone would mistake my car for a snake.

Recon

Established Member
Your car, your money, your decision; until some starts paying for the mods on the car or maintenance, tell them to F off. My Challenger is a clone, and it has the graphics of the real thing. It also has 90% of the specific parts that come on a T/A. Only thing it doesn’t have is a VIN saying it’s a T/A or the secondary options plate saying Trans Am. Made the car what I wanted. No ones opinion matters about my car except my own.

Pick your poison.

1Kona_Venom

US Army (Ret)
Established Member
Premium Member
Well this tread is headed to the shitter in record time.
Probably would have fared better in the 13/14 section.

I like it....a lot of different view points that I never considered. And its got some activeity....more than I can say for the 13/14 Shelby section. I'll bet another "What Alcoas are these?" will be the highlight of this weekend....LMFAO!!!!

I will say the seller was upfront and 100% honest as soon as he picked up the phone and told me it was a "Tribute" car. I said, ya I know. So he started off on the good foot with me.

black4vcobra

Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
So how did the Chevy guy affect your life by changing a sticker? Sounds like you were just jealous that your neighbor (in your mind) upgraded the trim level of his truck without paying for it.

More then likely your neighbor just liked the look of the Z71 sticker better than the 4x4 sticker, which I do as well. In your mind you should pay thousands of dollars more for a sticker. In your neighbors mind he was gonna pay $50 for the sticker because all he wanted was the Z71 sticker.

Gonna have to say your neighbor buying a sticker makes a lot more sense to me.

Well I was like 7 at the time so it didn't affect my life at all! No jealously either as I didn't even know what a Z71 off road package was at the time.

He probably did like the looks of Z71 sticker better. However, I bet he kept getting asked questions if it was a Z71 or why he didn't buy a Z71 so he faked it.

Coiled03

Established Member
I'll put your precious Cobra and SVT bologna on an 87 Toyota Celica, if I want. Until one of you starts supplementing my income, your opinion means nothing on how I choose to spend my money.

Sheesh. Half the crap posted on this forum offends me everyday, but no one is altering their language or opinions for me. What makes anyone think that someone doesn't have the right to decorate their own car the way they want?

Anyone has the right to decorate their vehicle how they see fit.
Equally, anyone else has the right to call them out for being a wanna be poser, if they see fit.

Not that hard.

stang910

Established Member
Explain? Sure. No problem. Let's start with the FIRST WORD IN THIS THREAD TITLE. Misbadged. That's how I read it anyway.
Your reply to OP mentioned a completely different subject. Heavily modded cars.
I see no legit comparison.
And to quote you, "It's really that simple".
Y'all have a good day.
What I asked was a real question and I was just looking for your opinion On why it’s such a big deal.

I gave you an example of 2 car that are exactly the same but one is a GT and one is a cobra. Both have the appearance of a cobra. So in your eyes do both cars need to remove the cobra badges or is it ok for both to have them?

If it’s ok for both to have the cobra emblem because their both high modified that falls in line with what you already stated and I get it.

COOL COBRA

Hell Yes!
Established Member
What I asked was a real question and I was just looking for your opinion On why it’s such a big deal.

I gave you an example of 2 car that are exactly the same but one is a GT and one is a cobra. Both have the appearance of a cobra. So in your eyes do both cars need to remove the cobra badges or is it ok for both to have them?

If it’s ok for both to have the cobra emblem because their both high modified that falls in line with what you already stated and I get it.
Ok I'll state my opinion one last time, any more then we're just beating a dead horse. Remember, this is just my opinion. We might just have to agree to disagree.
First, why it's such a big deal. The word genuine is strong referring to anything. It's a stand alone word with no grey area. Genuine.
When a car is misbadged, especially a high-end pricey model being mocked, really seems cheap to me. And a slap in the face to the genuine car. And honestly I'm no fan of the over priced, low resale
SA produced Super Snakes. For several reasons. But, it's surely genuine.
Second, the example you gave is of two different cars. A Cobra and a GT. The way I see it, they will both be exactly that from coming off the line in Detroit up to and until they return to the ground as dust.
Third. You state both cars you mention are exactly the same but one is a Cobra, and the other a GT.
That's where my mind locks up. One is and always will be a Cobra, and the same applies to the GT.
Don't get me wrong, I'm no purist, all my cars are modded except one early Ford. And it'll probably be before it's over. Useing parts from other models? Hell yes! My Shelby has a SS hood on it.
But going as far as misbadging, that's where the line is crossed, again just one guy's opinion.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
For all you FBH's (fake badge Haters) out there, check out Ford's new electric SUV with a Mustang badge on the front grill. :D
LOL! I was waiting for a post mentioning the 'Mustang' SUV. So true, brother. What Ford is doing to the electric SUV is the ultimate slap for a lot of us, but....they can, and will, do anything they want with the Mustang badge, as can/will owners do with their own cars. I've seen so many over the top customizations that it usually doesn't bother me at all. Live and let live. ;)

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
Honestlly, there's only one member on this site that has EARNED the right to have a Mustang born as a GT wear the Shelby GT500/SVT badges. That person would be Lexiion. His GT was literally converted to GT500 specification by him, on his own down to the ECU/firmware. Engine, trans, harness, junction blocks, brakes... you name it, his car has it.

Short of projects like that? Nah, just a poser.

People are MORE than welcome to spend their cash on whatever and install whatever on their car. Bumpers, hoods, spoilers? Awesome.

Soon as SVT, Shelby or Cobra emblems get put on there its a clone owned by a poser. People looking for the satisfaction and status of owning something they dont actually own. I have more respect for the **** boi that buy's the base Mercedes A220 or Lexus IS300 and acts like he owns an S-Class or LC500. I respect the hell out of anyone that takes a clapped out car, stuffs a big ass V8 into it with boost and runs bitches over in Mexico, than a person who would take a base V6 Mustang and slap GT500 bodywork and emblems all over. Like this ****ing loser in Scottsdale, AZ:

dumbass.jpg

As for OP, he wanted to know if his non SS car should keep the badges. I think no. But, its 90% there by right of being a genuine GT500.

stang910

Established Member
Honestlly, there's only one member on this site that has EARNED the right to have a Mustang born as a GT wear the Shelby GT500/SVT badges. That person would be Lexiion. His GT was literally converted to GT500 specification by him, on his own down to the ECU/firmware. Engine, trans, harness, junction blocks, brakes... you name it, his car has it.

Short of projects like that? Nah, just a poser.

People are MORE than welcome to spend their cash on whatever and install whatever on their car. Bumpers, hoods, spoilers? Awesome.

Soon as SVT, Shelby or Cobra emblems get put on there its a clone owned by a poser. People looking for the satisfaction and status of owning something they dont actually own. I have more respect for the **** boi that buy's the base Mercedes A220 or Lexus IS300 and acts like he owns an S-Class or LC500. I respect the hell out of anyone that takes a clapped out car, stuffs a big ass V8 into it with boost and runs bitches over in Mexico, than a person who would take a base V6 Mustang and slap GT500 bodywork and emblems all over. Like this ****ing loser in Scottsdale, AZ:

View attachment 1626879

As for OP, he wanted to know if his non SS car should keep the badges. I think no. But, its 90% there by right of being a genuine GT500.
Not sure why that car bothers you other than it's ugly to look at. The guy that owns it is happy with it and he's a car enthusiast, just not that kind that you or a lot of other people will agree with. When big brother decides modifications to cars is no longer a freedom of ours we'll all be happy to have him on our side.

My car is a 2011 GT and now has cobra badges on it. I don't have them on there to trick people that I have a GT500, I have it because it's what I like. I can afford a GT500 and thought about replacing my GT with one, but it would be financially stupid for me to do that because of how much money I have in my car and how much money I'd have to put in a GT500 to make it comparable to my GT. So I built the car that I wanted and did it without the worry of devaluing a real GT500. In the end the car looks exactly how I want and also has the engine, trans and power adder that I want.
IMG_0789 (2).JPG

ajaf1656

Established Member
I'm replacing the motor in my 2001 Bullitt. I have a 1999 Cobra motor, trans and IRS to put in it and I'm still considering a Coyote motor. If I do that, what should I do? I really don't want my car to make other people feel bad, but it won't be a GT, Bullitt or Cobra anymore. Lol

Back in the day I had a GT with Cobra wheels and a Cobra front bumper, I had cool GT emblem in the grille opening but the wheels had the cobra emblems on the center caps.

Attachments

• BB1BBD27-E780-480D-A7C5-07198BC8FC62_1_105_c.jpeg
    BB1BBD27-E780-480D-A7C5-07198BC8FC62_1_105_c.jpeg
    190.2 KB · Views: 84

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
Not sure why that car bothers you other than it's ugly to look at. The guy that owns it is happy with it and he's a car enthusiast, just not that kind that you or a lot of other people will agree with. When big brother decides modifications to cars is no longer a freedom of ours we'll all be happy to have him on our side.

My car is a 2011 GT and now has cobra badges on it. I don't have them on there to trick people that I have a GT500, I have it because it's what I like. I can afford a GT500 and thought about replacing my GT with one, but it would be financially stupid for me to do that because of how much money I have in my car and how much money I'd have to put in a GT500 to make it comparable to my GT. So I built the car that I wanted and did it without the worry of devaluing a real GT500. In the end the car looks exactly how I want and also has the engine, trans and power adder that I want.
View attachment 1626892
I'm not worried about devaluation of my GT500. Nor am I worried about the brand integrity of SVT or Ford Performance.

What bothers me is this "respect all builds" crap that some people push about cars and trucks. If I'm looking at a car with Cobra badges on it and it isnt a genuine SVT product, yeah I'm going to scoff at the owner's decision. I sure won't try to stop you, but you'll be the one having to explain why your GT is wearing Cobra badges at the local meet-up. Yes, you will be THAT guy.

Kinda like trans people. They wanna dress like a chick, live as a chick and be treated like one and still have male anatomy, more power to em. Their life, live as they wish. But they're deluding the shit out of themselves if they think they won't catch shit for it. Because ITS WEIRD.

Or guys that wear nothing but Harley gear riding a metric bike. They can buy and wear the Harley costume, but unless the bike was built by Harley, they're a poser. Sorry, just reality.

People that have 1000HP Coyotes make way more power than my stockish GT500. I damn sure respect that build. So why throw a Cobra badge on it? Thats ego insecurity right there. Expecting people to automatically "respect your build" when it's not a Cobra or GT500 is ridiculous.

I'll put your precious Cobra and SVT bologna on an 87 Toyota Celica, if I want. Until one of you starts supplementing my income, your opinion means nothing on how I choose to spend my money.

Sheesh. Half the crap posted on this forum offends me everyday, but no one is altering their language or opinions for me. What makes anyone think that someone doesn't have the right to decorate their own car the way they want?

You could put a Cobra badge on a jigsaw powered dildo if it made you happy. But just because an owner has the right to decorate their property as they want doesnt mean I dont have the right to express how large I feel the phagotry factor is when they ask me.

Last edited:

Recon

Established Member
I'm replacing the motor in my 2001 Bullitt. I have a 1999 Cobra motor, trans and IRS to put in it and I'm still considering a Coyote motor. If I do that, what should I do? I really don't want my car to make other people feel bad, but it won't be a GT, Bullitt or Cobra anymore. Lol

Back in the day I had a GT with Cobra wheels and a Cobra front bumper, I had cool GT emblem in the grille opening but the wheels had the cobra emblems on the center caps.

There’s coyote badges you could use, or shave the GT badges off the fenders. The original Bullitt didn’t have fender badges.

Pick your poison.

Users who are viewing this thread