Manifold and intake testing <> stock-ported-Boss w/stock vs CAI intake

twistedneck

Established Member
great thread.. I bet the ported factory intake had potential but as you said with the same tune it lost probably due to less turbulent flow or who knows why really. in theory a ported intake would have greater cfm and more balanced flow numbers...

also shows there is no reason to shift a stock coyote over 6600-6700.

wonder what a ported boss intake does? also, w/o a tune that boss intake really takes a hit below 5500.

01bluesnake

Established Member
Love this thread... With the hood open or closed what was the power difference with CAI vs stock? Sorry if I missed that

I didnt think to do a run comparison open and closed, but it made a difference for sure when it was open VS closed with the Airaid CAI the run that we did. I'm not sure the stock CAI would benefit being that it only draws air through the front scoop unlike an open filter setup that can draw from all around.

Last edited:

01bluesnake

Established Member
great thread.. I bet the ported factory intake had potential but as you said with the same tune it lost probably due to less turbulent flow or who knows why really. in theory a ported intake would have greater cfm and more balanced flow numbers...

also shows there is no reason to shift a stock coyote over 6600-6700.

wonder what a ported boss intake does? also, w/o a tune that boss intake really takes a hit below 5500.

Ya, in theory it should flow more, but the velocity is not there and is likely key to why power dropped off throughout the whole curve. Definitely not, my shift light is set for 6800 at the track. Ya, im not sure if i want to port a Boss intake after these results lol, but might be worthwhile since the manifold also has longer runner lengths to help keep velocity up.

Shaun@AED

Great write up.
I have seen ported IM's lose power as well BTW. Same dyno (mine), same day. Make a few passes, remove intake, let customer port it, re-install and re-dyno.

Seems to happen when too much material is removed and the port ends up not being as smooth of a finish as stock.
The ones I've done that have picked up power (and other tuner buddies) have very minimal work with a lot of smoothing using cross buffs.
Finishing Products

TiVCT changes will also play a large role, but I like that no modifications where done for this test series. Just hardware.

01bluesnake

Established Member
Great write up.
I have seen ported IM's lose power as well BTW. Same dyno (mine), same day. Make a few passes, remove intake, let customer port it, re-install and re-dyno.

Seems to happen when too much material is removed and the port ends up not being as smooth of a finish as stock.
The ones I've done that have picked up power (and other tuner buddies) have very minimal work with a lot of smoothing using cross buffs.
Finishing Products

TiVCT changes will also play a large role, but I like that no modifications where done for this test series. Just hardware.

Thanks. The finish is pretty smooth on the runners and inlet, after i snapped the pics i went and finished up with fine 3M scuff pad. I think it's a problem of removing to much material as you said, slowing the air. Ya, i would of liked to go in and adjust cam timing, but ran out of time.

01bluesnake

Established Member
Sorry if missed it but you dynoed with the airaid intake with the hood open?

It was actually just a single run that we did because i really wasnt expecting different results, but actually got some. I'll see if i can dig up that file and lay it over the open hood run. The only thing is that the car is sitting still, and even though there were fans, impossible to duplicate high speed driving air flow.

EDIT: Not seeing the file for that run, may of deleted it when we were on the dyno

Last edited:

cbrtrx

Established Member
It was actually just a single run that we did because i really wasnt expecting different results, but actually got some. I'll see if i can dig up that file and lay it over the open hood run. The only thing is that the car is sitting still, and even though there were fans, impossible to duplicate high speed driving air flow.

Yes on my car when I closed the hood on the dyno the airaid lost the 5hp that I gained from it and made the same power as the stock one. I will say though that my ported intake manifold did pick up power on two seperate cars though with no tune changes.

01bluesnake

Established Member
Yes on my car when I closed the hood on the dyno the airaid lost the 5hp that I gained from it and made the same power as the stock one. I will say though that my ported intake manifold did pick up power on two seperate cars though with no tune changes.

I think that's about what we lost as well, somewhere around 4-5whp. We didn't have any gain in power from the ported manifold, but maybe mine was a little more extensive to where i slowed the air too much.

86merc

Established Member

EDIT: Not seeing the file for that run, may of deleted it when we were on the dyno

Here is the ported intake with the stock air box (blue), Airaid with the hood closed (red) and the Airaid with the hood open (green). The blue run was the second pass we made.

stockboxairaidopenandclosedhood_zps7594a690.jpg

Bowtie-X

Oh No.. not a NOOB again.
Established Member
Re: Manifold and intake testing &lt;&gt; stock-ported-Boss w/stock vs CAI intake

That loss of tq with boss is chunky. Not low 10 ish like how some peoples try to make it seem.

Thanks for the testing:thumbup:

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

Chameleon76

Formerly Bad_302
Established Member
No tune changes.
Ya, the cold air kit actually picked up power on the car and was upwards of 6whp peak, and even more gains through the graph vs stock CAI graphs. I can do a overlay of the two if you would like to view that better, just let me know. Also note the test was with the insert in for a no tune needed install.

AiraidCAIvsStockCAI_zps3fd245c7.png

Great write up. I didn't read everything but do you plan on doing a test with the insert out (tuned) ?

01bluesnake

Established Member
I think that im pretty much done for testing currently, but do plan on picking up a MMR manifold soon for my own setup. I would love to get on the dyno with it to see how it compares with a baseline and then with the cam's dialed in. It might be a better alternative for some people VS the cobra jet. With the MMR, it allows use of the stock T body. By the time you add in a TB and custom CAI for the cobra jet, you can easily be passed the price of the MMR. One big plus is that the MMR is boost friendly under higher levels.

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
I think that im pretty much done for testing currently, but do plan on picking up a MMR manifold soon for my own setup. I would love to get on the dyno with it to see how it compares with a baseline and then with the cam's dialed in. It might be a better alternative for some people VS the cobra jet. With the MMR, it allows use of the stock T body. By the time you add in a TB and custom CAI for the cobra jet, you can easily be passed the price of the MMR. One big plus is that the MMR is boost friendly under higher levels.

Do you plan I using the stock ported IM with tunning updates to take advantage of the extra aor flow? Or you gonna just skip it an just go with the mmr?

ViperBlueCobra

5.0 FTW
Established Member
I feel this test is great but also flawed. If the tune is set for the stock manifold, the other two the ported and boss intake were to be set for failure.

My feeling on reading it all is the ported intake flowed a bit more then stock so you could see the power difference. The boss IM flows a bit more then the ported stock IM, and you pass the perameters for the tune for the stock manifold, so the power was not as it should be for the boss intake. Does that make sense?

Users who are viewing this thread