Manifold and intake testing <> stock-ported-Boss w/stock vs CAI intake

ViciousJay

Established Member
I feel this test is great but also flawed. If the tune is set for the stock manifold, the other two the ported and boss intake were to be set for failure.

My feeling on reading it all is the ported intake flowed a bit more then stock so you could see the power difference. The boss IM flows a bit more then the ported stock IM, and you pass the perameters for the tune for the stock manifold, so the power was not as it should be for the boss intake. Does that make sense?

correct me if im wrong but when tuning for the Boss IM all they do is richin up the a/f a little. There really isn't all that much that goes into tuning those

ViperBlueCobra

5.0 FTW
Established Member
correct me if im wrong but when tuning for the Boss IM all they do is richin up the a/f a little. There really isn't all that much that goes into tuning those

Man I don't know for sure. But I would think it would be like leaving the stock tune on and putting a cold air intake on the car.

01bluesnake

Established Member
I feel this test is great but also flawed. If the tune is set for the stock manifold, the other two the ported and boss intake were to be set for failure.

My feeling on reading it all is the ported intake flowed a bit more then stock so you could see the power difference. The boss IM flows a bit more then the ported stock IM, and you pass the perameters for the tune for the stock manifold, so the power was not as it should be for the boss intake. Does that make sense?

I think i understand what your trying to get at, but the only thing left out on the dyno's was playing with VCT. The AFR and Ignition timing was near identical through all the runs. The ported manifold actually lost power from the stock by a decent amount, but the Boss performed as expected. The test were all repeated multiple times for consistency and were almost all exact. There's really nothing else you could do except maybe play with cam timing, which may of brought up power a little on all of the manifolds.

Man I don't know for sure. But I would think it would be like leaving the stock tune on and putting a cold air intake on the car.

With adding a CAI, what your looking for is correct AFR, which all the runs had and were consistent through the part changes.

86merc

Established Member

None of the intakes were tested on a flow bench. So we do not know if the porting improved or hurt the flow. The only thing we know is that the ported intake made less power than the stock intake using the same tune.

The point of the test was to see what the hardware did to power. So the only thing changed was the hardware. We may do some other tests in a couple of months. Tuning, CAI with and with out the insert and hopefully a aftermarket 85mm throttle body on a stock and Boss intake. When we nail things down we will be sure to post about it.

ViperBlueCobra

5.0 FTW
Established Member
None of the intakes were tested on a flow bench. So we do not know if the porting improved or hurt the flow. The only thing we know is that the ported intake made less power than the stock intake using the same tune.

The point of the test was to see what the hardware did to power. So the only thing changed was the hardware. We may do some other tests in a couple of months. Tuning, CAI with and with out the insert and hopefully a aftermarket 85mm throttle body on a stock and Boss intake. When we nail things down we will be sure to post about it.

I gotcha.

Just curious of you fine tuned the car with the boss intake and then ran the other manifolds without change I wonder how significant the changes would be.

01bluesnake

Established Member
I gotcha.

Just curious of you fine tuned the car with the boss intake and then ran the other manifolds without change I wonder how significant the changes would be.

The only problem is that dialing vct in wouldn't be gains from just bolting on the manifold, but instead be gains from changing cam degree which would be technically a hardware change. Playing with vct would be like a cam change except that we can dial them in through electronics vs installing and degreeing a new cam. Any benenit from just the manifold is what we were looking for.

ViperBlueCobra

5.0 FTW
Established Member

The only problem is that dialing vct in wouldn't be gains from just bolting on the manifold, but instead be gains from changing cam degree which would be technically a hardware change. Playing with vct would be like a cam change except that we can dial them in through electronics vs installing and degreeing a new cam. Any benenit from just the manifold is what we were looking for.

Ok.

And this is just me playing devils advocate. By no means am I trying to cause issues.

The stock manifold is set up and designed for the current cam or hardware, correct?

Lets go old school push rod thinking....

Lets say you want to change intake manifolds from the stock 302 manifold to say an Anderson box style intake... Without changing say the cam... What type of results would we see? I bet the little old stock 5.0 with e7 heads would probably lose power and torque.

The intake manifold flowing more is only one piece of the puzzle. If you don't change all the "hardware" to go with it the results are flawed.

01bluesnake

Established Member
I see what you are going after, but your example isnt even a close comparison of the intake setups we tested or the flow ability of the heads. Try using an example of a stock 302 manifold then one with doing some minor port work, I bet you would see a power gain due to the fact they were very restrictive stock. The volumetric efficiency of the stock manifold is very good, and directly shows that. The small port work that was done obviously hurt velocity enough to cause a power loss. I'm not sure why you want to say the test was flawed, but the results are what they are. We didn't strap on a sheetmetal intake manifold designed around boost or a wild n/a setup, just a mildly ported stock manifold and a boss.

Also by your theory, the boss manifold should of made less power than the ported because it didn't support the right cams or hardware.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread