Manifold and intake testing <> stock-ported-Boss w/stock vs CAI intake

Mr. Mach-ete

Liberals Suck
Established Member
My 5.0 is going in Tuesday to JPC for a Boss manifold, throttle body upgrade, cooks long tubes, 3 inch catless X, barton shifter, motor mounts, shifter cable upgrade, dyno tune.

Currently I'm sporting JLT CAI, stock manifold, stock TB, stock exhaust manifold, BBK cat deletes, stock H, JPC over axle pipes, JPC stainless race mufflers, JPC canned catless tune. I'll ask Tommy to do a before and after dyno run to compare the difference in performance upgrades.

01bluesnake

Established Member
ALL graphs up on first page! i can go select areas or compare any graphs if someone once to see any other overlays, areas of loss, or comparison.

Last edited:

steveofiveo

Established Member
Did you adjust the tune for the Boss to stock intake swap ?

What was the AFR on all runs ? where they close ?

Did you use the same air intake on all runs ? I thought the air intake could not be swapped between intakes ?

I forgot to say it earlier GREAT JOB ! ! !

thx

S

BPatterson

Established Member
Manifold and intake testing &lt;&gt; stock-ported-Boss w/stock vs CAI intake

Shows pretty much what we've known all along. The Boss IM shines from 65-7500. The tq loss is huge though through the bottom end and mid-range. The Boss is really a track only mod. If you only plan on going to the track once or twice a year, you'll hate the Boss during everyday street use.

Ratinacage

Established Member
Shows pretty much what we've known all along. The Boss IM shines from 65-7500. The tq loss is huge though through the bottom end and mid-range. The Boss is really a track only mod. If you only plan on going to the track once or twice a year, you'll hate the Boss during everyday street use.

Thanks great info guess I will pass on the boss IM

01bluesnake

Established Member
Did you adjust the tune for the Boss to stock intake swap ?

What was the AFR on all runs ? where they close ?

Did you use the same air intake on all runs ? I thought the air intake could not be swapped between intakes ?

I forgot to say it earlier GREAT JOB ! ! !

thx

S

Thanks! The AFR's stayed steddy 12.4-5 throughout all the runs. AFR's got logged as well as coolant temp, air temp, and total timing to make sure all runs were as equal as possible.

All the manifold and intake setup's got listed in the graphs, but i just added headers to explain what each one was.

Ya, we knew the boss would have tq lose down low and gains up top, but wanted to do it so that it could be a closer gain from same dyno's, same day, within hours apart and all the factors like weather would be the same.

Need4Speed03

Established Member
Was the tune tweeked for the Boss IM? If not, its not a great comparison as the tune need to be tweeked and the cam timing adjusted for minimal torque loss and maximum hp gains.

Regardless, nice work! I had a stock intake that I ported and I didnt notice a difference at all besides the whistle I heard.

01bluesnake

Established Member
Was the tune tweeked for the Boss IM? If not, its not a great comparison as the tune need to be tweeked and the cam timing adjusted for minimal torque loss and maximum hp gains.

Regardless, nice work! I had a stock intake that I ported and I didnt notice a difference at all besides the whistle I heard.

No, nothing was tweaked on cam timing side. Im sure all the manifolds could of been tweaked to gain some more power, but wanted to demonstrate a bolt on no tune gain or loss. If if wasn't so late, i would of went in and did some cam timing, but finished up the runs around 8pm and called it a night.

BPatterson

Established Member
Manifold and intake testing &lt;&gt; stock-ported-Boss w/stock vs CAI intake

Yes....thank you for doing this! Same dyno, same day testing is hard to argue with!

cobra199711

Established Member
Great job

So the cold air is worth roughly 6 hp/torque. If you need every bit of h.p and can find one cheap I guess it's ok.

Users who are viewing this thread