Manifold and intake testing <> stock-ported-Boss w/stock vs CAI intake

01bluesnake

Established Member
No tune changes for anything? That has to have an impact on the results.

Mike

No tune changes. I'm sure it has an effect on the gains, but to do the mod and loose 5whp through almost all the power band sucks, and not sure how much cam timing could gain back vs more cam timing on the stock manifold.

So the cold air is worth roughly 6 hp/torque. If you need every bit of h.p and can find one cheap I guess it's ok.

Ya, the cold air kit actually picked up power on the car and was upwards of 6whp peak, and even more gains through the graph vs stock CAI graphs. I can do a overlay of the two if you would like to view that better, just let me know. Also note the test was with the insert in for a no tune needed install.

AiraidCAIvsStockCAI_zps3fd245c7.png

Last edited:

13GBstang

Established Member
Looks like a lot of fun.. Swapping parts on the fly on the dyno must have been a blast!! (Definitely jealous :rockon:)

That being said...

How many people put a Boss Intake/cold air kit on without properly tuning for it?

01bluesnake

Established Member
Looks like a lot of fun.. Swapping parts on the fly on the dyno must have been a blast!! (Definitely jealous :rockon:)

That being said...

How many people put a Boss Intake/cold air kit on without properly tuning for it?

Not sure, but AFR's were fine, so it is possible if people wanted to. Sometimes people like to do mods and not have to get a tune to drive their car and would rather do a few mods then retune at a schedule they can work around.

Torchy

Established Member
Thanks for the info man:beer:

BTW what are specs on your battery?

86merc

Established Member
Less than a 3hp gain over the stock IM with the Airaid.

Depends on the run. One I am looking at was a good 8-10hp. I guess we could take the average of the runs in each combo and see how they compare that way. But not easily done. Once again the factory intake shows it is a pretty good piece.

stockvsAiraidcaihpait_zpse937a4ad.jpg

We also did a back to back run with the Airaid where the only difference was the hood open and shut. With the hood shut the AIT went up almost 5 degrees and power suffered. The fans we had just don't replicate the car driving at speed. But sure seems the open air filter was able to breath easier, on the dyno, with the hood open. And the engine performed better this way. So anyone know of a wind tunnel with a dyno in it that we can borrow for more testing? lmao

Was the tune tweeked for the Boss IM? If not, its not a great comparison as the tune need to be tweeked and the cam timing adjusted for minimal torque loss and maximum hp gains.

Regardless, nice work! I had a stock intake that I ported and I didnt notice a difference at all besides the whistle I heard.

You can also the say the tune was not tweaked for the stock intakes as well. So it is possible to say that if the tune tweeks increased power and torque of both intakes it may keep the graph looking much the same with higher numbers. With out tuning and more dyno time it is hard to say what the outcome would be. We just ran out of time on the dyno. Maybe in the future we will get a car back on the dyno with a custom tune on both a stock and Boss intake. We will see what happens.

No tune changes for anything? That has to have an impact on the results.

Mike

From the start we said this would be a test of the intakes using the same tune. Both intakes had the same A/F ratio and timing that was very similar. As Drew's tune was set up with an additional amount of timing. Just no cam changes in the tune.

That being said...

We had a fun day. The intake and cold air kit swaps are very easy on these cars. Drew did most of the work and had the changes made in minutes. The rest of the time was talking shop, horse power and listening to the car scream on the dyno to the tune of 7,200 rpm or so. :rockon:

Last edited:

01bluesnake

Established Member
Also, big thanks to Mike (86Merc). Without him the dyno test would not of been performed as he provided the tested intakes and we split dyno fee's. Would like to also send a thanks to Hans @Deansperformance for letting us use the dyno for most of the day and being the great person he is, although he wont see this hahaha.

Last edited:

86merc

Established Member
Great team effort for sure! :beer:

We need to do this again soon. haha

01bluesnake

Established Member
Definitely lol. Just have to think of some more combo's to run test on. I think a TB test would be nice test, just have to sell my CJ T body so i can pick up the Accufab or ford 90mm.

86merc

Established Member
Ya. Or maybe a Boss versus Cobra Jet intake test. If they ever get the thing out! haha

We will have to come up with some ideas for sure.

01bluesnake

Established Member
Ya. Thought about that, just not sure my car would do a valid test as they really demand high R's. It would still be interesting to see what they do up to 7300 or so. Maybe i can dial in the cam timing for those and get as most out of them as possible.

86merc

Established Member
Why do you think I asked how hard it would be to change the valve springs while in the car? haha

But ya. I agree though. Maybe some new stuff will come out to the market place and we can get our hands on the stuff.

01bluesnake

Established Member
I may end up with valve springs anyways for the turbo, but much later on in the year if not next when the motor gets built. The trigger wheel upgrade would also be needed and really don't feel like pulling my trans because im sure ill spend more money and throw in a new clutch lol.

Black11gt

Established Member
First of all this is a FANTASTIC write up for sure. Thank for taking time to swap parts in between runs and running it on the dyno after each mod. However i dont feel that hope is all lost for those looking to get the Boss IM. With a good Full exhaust setup and a T/B, they may be able to make up for that down low tq and have the boss IM start screaming at 5500 where it wants too. Personally, i want to make power where it matters most (while racing someone in the lane next to me) so it really does depend on how the car will be used, and i dont mind losing some down low for something up top. :)

86merc

Established Member
Drew originally made this thread in an attempt to get someone to let us borrow a Accufab as to be included in the testing. But didn't happen. I don't think it would show much of a gain anywhere anyways. L/T headers and off road mid pipe should pick up the power and torque nicely through out the graph. Boss intake or not.

cobra199711

Established Member
Love this thread... With the hood open or closed what was the power difference with CAI vs stock? Sorry if I missed that

Users who are viewing this thread