Make your own Oil Seperator for $21

Status
Not open for further replies.

hmwave

Established Member
The purge comes out of the PCV valve and into the blower so the arrow should point in the same direction as the flow.

Greg, when you get all of yours dialed in I'd like to ride in yours, see if its time for me to spend more cash on mine! ;-)

carfax

Established Member
i have it on my car and it works great its just another thing to do to make sure the engine last.

CWD

Established Member
Agreed

04tiresmoke said:
i have it on my car and it works great its just another thing to do to make sure the engine last.
No reason not to and why pay the crazy prices I have seen from performance vendors?

TheHolyCobra

Widened 10th Wheel Guy...
Established Member
Just did this mod today and WOW, this thing works well. It cost me around $20 from AutoZone as said at the beginning of this thread. Within my 20 minute drive around town and such I have already begun to collect oil in the catch can. I pulled the filter out as well because it would take too much pressure to push the oil through that tiny filter and I doubt all that pressure buildup is good for the engine. I will get my camera back from my cousin and post up some pictures of my setup as soon as I can (I routed the lines a little differently that cleans them up and hides them out of the way).

THS

aaronyarracs

why not run another line to pass side valve cover and cap the line on the inlet tube and t into the inlet side of the seperator

Last edited by a moderator:

50 BMG

Socialpath media
Established Member
Thought I'd bring this back up instead of starting a new thread.

I found a seperator for the passenger side on Sean Hyland's site:
http://www.seanhylandmotorsport.com...=1054&osCsid=5d7d95eb0f1d75aa73dcd80b533139e6

Then there are multiple drivers side seperators:
http://www.accmachtech.com/pcvcatchcans.htm

Now I don't really care about the cost argument right now... What I'm interested to know is if there would be a point in running both of them. I'm making a basic assumption that the passenger side PCV line is still feeding oil into the TB etc. Is this correct or am I thinking about it all wrong (and the drivers side unit alone will in fact remove all the oil)?

Last edited:

CWD

Established Member
Driver's side is all you need.

I recently pulled my TB and inlet was totally clean of any oil! Works!

50 BMG said:
Thought I'd bring this back up instead of starting a new thread.

I found a seperator for the passenger side on Sean Hyland's site:
http://www.seanhylandmotorsport.com...=1054&osCsid=5d7d95eb0f1d75aa73dcd80b533139e6

Then there are multiple drivers side seperators:
http://www.accmachtech.com/pcvcatchcans.htm

Now I don't really care about the cost argument right now... What I'm interested to know is if there would be a point in running both of them. I'm making a basic assumption that the passenger side PCV line is still feeding oil into the TB etc. Is this correct or am I thinking about it all wrong (and the drivers side unit alone will in fact remove all the oil)?

rmgtc01

Established Member
All of those seem a bit pricey. Is it worth the extra money for the look/quality or does it not make a difference from the do it yourself version?

50 BMG

Socialpath media
Established Member
Now another question:

I like the clean look of the passenger side unit. I want to know if it would be better to just run the SHM unit (or comparable unit) on the passenger side... will it get rid of all the oil compared to the drivers side unit?

CWD

Established Member
Pricy is right!

rmgtc01 said:
All of those seem a bit pricey. Is it worth the extra money for the look/quality or does it not make a difference from the do it yourself version?
I do car shows all the time and have never gotten a negative comment on the "do it yourself version"! Installed as instructed in this thread it is not noticeable. It works and save the money and use the difference for another mod.!

ricksterman

Established Member
Just did this today since it took me 2 cans of cleaners to get all the oil out of the intercooler after only 15K miles!

Good write-up, but a couple of things might improve the instructions. You don't need #MP3207 3/8" hose end because there is already a two-sided barb in the repair kit (maybe this changed?). You will however need another 3/8 fitting, since the repair kit only has one. Autozone or Pepboys carry these (air line fittings) by themselves or buy 2 #MP3314. Also get 5-6' of 3/8 fuel line since 3' is not long enough if you are going to run the line around the master cylinder. And lastly TAKE OUT THE FILTER. The warning on the bottle clearly states that it isnt meant for synthetic oils, in case there was any question about this still. Overall I think this is one of the best and cheapest mods anyone can do, and I wish it would become a sticky! Thanks for doing all the work CWD great job!

CWD

Established Member
Thank you very much!

ricksterman said:
Just did this today since it took me 2 cans of cleaners to get all the oil out of the intercooler after only 15K miles!

Good write-up, but a couple of things might improve the instructions. You don't need #MP3207 3/8" hose end because there is already a two-sided barb in the repair kit (maybe this changed?). You will however need another 3/8 fitting, since the repair kit only has one. Autozone or Pepboys carry these (air line fittings) by themselves or buy 2 #MP3314. Also get 5-6' of 3/8 fuel line since 3' is not long enough if you are going to run the line around the master cylinder. And lastly TAKE OUT THE FILTER. The warning on the bottle clearly states that it isnt meant for synthetic oils, in case there was any question about this still. Overall I think this is one of the best and cheapest mods anyone can do, and I wish it would become a sticky! Thanks for doing all the work CWD great job!
I emptied mine today and got a 3/4 container full of oil out of it! I recently pulled my throttle body to put on the new Truflow C&L Inlet pipe and the inlet to the supercharger was clean! I use synthetic oil and have no problems. I did remove the filter sometime back..works better.

mkkrs1

Established Member
04MystiCobra said:
Have any of you pulled your blower/intercooler off before!?!?!
There is soooo much oil in the intercooler. It took a while to clean out all the oil that had been building up. It's so dirty in there. No way thats good.

Did you actually remove the supercharger or how did you do it to clean the intercooler

lukem80

Established Member
I just installed 3 cheap oil separators on 3 different 03 cobra's (all are running Mobil 1 with motorcraft filters)

2 are driven daily.. 1 is a weekend car but all posted the same results

I used clear line that was purchased from Home Depot (just temporary)

here are the results from one car after about a months worth of driving (less than a 1,000 miles)

pretty much.. not a drop in the pass side... but the PCV valve on the drivers side... thats the one that seems to let the oil in... the separator is doing its job.. but it isn't 100% efficient at keeping oil out of the intake.... maybe two cheap ones in the same line or one bigger (more expensive) catch can would be in order to keep most or all of the oil out of the intake

CWD

Established Member
Cleaning the intercooler

mkkrs1 said:
Did you actually remove the supercharger or how did you do it to clean the intercooler
Yes you would have to pull the supercharger to clean it. Good idea when sending it to Steigmier for porting! Till then idea is to keep the oil out by doing this mod. You can remove the throttle body and see the oil in the inlet that is going thru the engine.

CWD

Established Member
No need for the passenger side

lukem80 said:
I just installed 3 cheap oil separators on 3 different 03 cobra's (all are running Mobil 1 with motorcraft filters)

2 are driven daily.. 1 is a weekend car but all posted the same results

I used clear line that was purchased from Home Depot (just temporary)

here are the results from one car after about a months worth of driving (less than a 1,000 miles)

pretty much.. not a drop in the pass side... but the PCV valve on the drivers side... thats the one that seems to let the oil in... the separator is doing its job.. but it isn't 100% efficient at keeping oil out of the intake.... maybe two cheap ones in the same line or one bigger (more expensive) catch can would be in order to keep most or all of the oil out of the intake

You are right as the oil will blow by if container gets too full. Easy to empty and I noticed your separator was at a tilt which it should be verticle. Perhaps for a pic...There is more turbulunce than you may realize going on in that line under boost! A larger container would be better or as you mentioned two inline oil separators. At some point however they also would have to be emptied. Still much better than nothing. Mine is not a daily driver so no issue for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread