Make your own Oil Seperator for $21

Status
Not open for further replies.

CWD

Established Member
Yes

adamb258 said:
could you simply remove the filter from it and use it that way?
That will work. Better than factory and nothing at all. When I pulled my Supercharger to send it to be ported I couldn't believe how much oil was in the inlet!

badboy

Done with it!
Established Member
WDW MKR said:
Great write up! Just be aware that those filter are not rated for synthetic. There have already been cases of collapsing the filter and restricting flow. The best thing to do is run the same or larger containment w/out a filter. The effective "wide spot" in the line will provide enough pressure drop to remove the bulk of the entrained liquid.

I have this setup. It collects about 3/4" of oil real quick and then stops. I think the filter must get clogged up or something. I just put a new filter in but I think I will try it without the filter when this one stops working.

GotGrunt

Established Member
Here's a pic of my setup. Cost me around $20 in parts. Can't get any easier than this when it comes to installation :rockon:

sonic172vy.jpg

CWD

Established Member
Looks good!

GotGrunt said:
Here's a pic of my setup. Cost me around $20 in parts. Can't get any easier than this when it comes to installation :rockon:

sonic172vy.jpg
Make sure you have clearance between the engine and master cylinder! That motor "rocks" LOL! Just wanted to make sure you had thought about that. Good job! :coolman:

GotGrunt

Established Member
CWD said:
Make sure you have clearance between the engine and master cylinder! That motor "rocks" LOL! Just wanted to make sure you had thought about that. Good job! :coolman:
Thanks! I've checked it a few times, seems fine :beer: I routed it that way to make it easy to get to...

Last edited:

CWD

Established Member
You are welcome!

Hope it works out well for you, mine works great as pictured, no problems. I am amazed at how much oil is now not going thru the engine!! :coolman:

BBCOBRA

Established Member
I took the filter out of mine after seeing someone post about this filter clogging. mine has more that doubled in the amount of oil in the container in a week. I think the filter that comes on these things is really to filter air and catch water mostly. It will work without the filter. A larger catch can would probably be ideal though. I may look into getting a better one later.
for now this one is at least rmoving a considerable amount of oil.

later

GotGrunt

Established Member
BBCOBRA said:
I took the filter out of mine after seeing someone post about this filter clogging. mine has more that doubled in the amount of oil in the container in a week. I think the filter that comes on these things is really to filter air and catch water mostly. It will work without the filter. A larger catch can would probably be ideal though. I may look into getting a better one later.
for now this one is at least rmoving a considerable amount of oil.

later
Would taking the filter out really stop more oil? I would think the aerated oil "mist" would pass right through the separator w/o a filter in there :shrug:

Last edited:

Brad

Banned
What is the benefit of doing this? I understand what it's doing but what is the benefit in no oil entering the blower/motor

GotGrunt

Established Member
Prevents detonation, and the buildup of oil and crud in the intake tract/intercooler...

Brad

Banned
GotGrunt said:
Prevents detonation, and the buildup of oil and crud in the intake tract/intercooler...

That's what I was thinking, but just wanted to hear someone who really knew what they were talking about say it.

So all you're doing is installing a catch can/filter in the middle of the vacuum line that goes from the valve cover to the back of the blower correct?

Looks like I'll be making one tomorrow :beer:

Last edited:

GotGrunt

Established Member
Brad said:
That's what I was thinking, but just wanted to hear someone who really knew what they were talking about say it.

So all you're doing is installing a catch can/filter in the middle of the vacuum line that goes from the valve cover to the back of the blower correct?

Looks like I'll be making one tomorrow :beer:
Yep. Can't get any easier. Get some 3/8" hose, a few barbed fittings... and of course the separator. It look me literally 10 minutes to rig it up. The hard part is getting it to sit the way you want it (ie. cut the hoses to the proper length). Good luck :beer:

Brad

Banned
GotGrunt said:
Yep. Can't get any easier. Get some 3/8" hose, a few barbed fittings... and of course the separator. It look me literally 10 minutes to rig it up. The hard part is getting it to sit the way you want it (ie. cut the hoses to the proper length). Good luck :beer:

I'm going to be forced to polish the top of the separator assuming it's metal, some custom brackets are also in order... Def a rainy sat project tomorrow... :)

x14

Established Member
CWD said:
Aftermarket Mfg's sell this unit/ Steeda etc. what do they use and or do they disclaim use with synthetic oils?

The one sold by Steeda is made by Amflo with 150psi and about 25 SCFM. Pretty much the same as everyone else's. There's no disclaimer about not using synthetic oil.

CWD

Established Member
Worked great so far!

I have had no problems with leaving the filter in so far. Unit is catching oil and working smoothly. :coolman:

BBCOBRA

Established Member
I also used the Campbell hauisfield air line filter. When I put mine in, it caught about 1/4 to 1/2 inch in the plastic container. I emptied it at the last oil change. It continued to catch some oil. Like I said earlier I saw a post by somebody that took out the filter because the filter stated that it's not designed for synthetic oils. I took the filter out two weeks ago and just changed oil again yesterday. I've probably put around 1200 miles on it with no filter inside the container. when I emptied it yesterday it was 3/4 full. I do beleive there could be an airflow problem as soon as these filters are exposed to oil. I'll jsut continue to run mine with no filter as it catches alot of oil that way.

Brad

Banned
Where is this oil coming from. I'm not familar with what this vacuum line even does other than come out of the valve cover and go into the back of the blower.

GotGrunt

Established Member
Brad said:
Where is this oil coming from. I'm not familar with what this vacuum line even does other than come out of the valve cover and go into the back of the blower.
It's the PCV system. It's used for crankcase ventilation. It sucks in fresh air from the passenger side valve cover and blows it out of the drivers side into the intake to burn all the vapors that exist in the crankcase. Aerated oil sometimes flows up and into the motor from there. This separator is used to collect the oil and separate it from the air before it enters the motor.

Last edited:

StngStr

Mustang-less
Established Member
GotGrunt said:
It sucks in fresh air from the passenger side valve cover and blows it out of the drivers side into the intake to burn all the vapors that exist in the crankcase.

Are you sure about this? So you're saying that it sucks fresh metered air from the intake tube (PVC valve hose connects to intake tube) then into the passenger side valve cover and then blows out the drivers side valve cover and into the blower? For some reason that sounds fishy to me. I thought that the passenger side valve cover pvc was for air to vent OUT into the intake tube and then be burned via combustion. Maybe I was wrong?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread