Make your own Oil Seperator for $21

Status
Not open for further replies.

WDW MKR

Established Member
hmwave said:
What I don't get with mine is it never fills past approx. 1cm, with a filter or without.

I empty it, it fills to 1cm and stops.
I empty it, it fills to 1cm and stops.
Ad infinitum.

Why doesn't it fill more?

Every application is different, but filling the catch can effectively shrinks the wide spot in the line. This results in less pressure drop and the performance of the can falls off.

WDW MKR

Established Member
slimpickuns said:
Why bother with parts that weren't really designed for the application and look "ghetto"? For ~$80 you can get a SWEET PCV catchcan.

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/showthread.php?t=187522

Works like a charm...doesn't fill up after an ounce is collected...no filter media concerns...no synthetic concerns...and it's anodized.

I agree... it's better to spend once and buy the parts that were designed for this purpose. The Home Depot/Lowes cans will work, but I'd rather have quality parts under my hood.

GotGrunt

Established Member
I just took the filter out of my separator after reading about how it could clog/collapse since I run synthetic oil. It is actually doing a better job now with it removed :thumbsup:

CWD

Established Member
Agree!

GotGrunt said:
I just took the filter out of my separator after reading about how it could clog/collapse since I run synthetic oil. It is actually doing a better job now with it removed :thumbsup:
I have done the same and works great! :coolman:

CWD

Established Member
Icu812

Pics are still up PM if any more Questions. Charles

turbocake

Established Member
GotGrunt said:

Does it collect more or less oil?
:beer:

GotGrunt

Established Member
turbocake said:
Does it collect more or less oil?
:beer:
About the same, if not more... Definitely fills up higher and doesn't "stop" after an inch like before...

V8Mustang

Established Member
I read an article in the latest Car Craft about octane requirements and one thing that was interesting is that according to their sources, an engine's octane requirement goes up about four points after 10K miles due to build up in the combustion chamber. The seperator will help keep things cleaner.

Crowley

Okey doke
Established Member
Romans8:28 said:
I have had the exact same setup since I first bought my car.........

remove the filter and you will catch more oil ;)

SO from that part above, you can remove the filter from it and just use the container?

thanks,
Crowley

CWD

Established Member
Correct

Crowley said:
SO from that part above, you can remove the filter from it and just use the container?

thanks,
Crowley
Filter easily unscrews. I chipped mine off and screwed the housing back in just with the element removed.

Romans8:28

Established Member
Crowley said:

thanks,
Crowley

Yes, exactly...... the container becomes the "catch can"

IMO the filter poses such a significant pressure restriction that the vapor flow is greatly reduced and could actually cause PCV system issues. Remember the filter we are discussing was for use in compressed air systems under much greater pressure and much higher flow rates

gregs 03 cobra

Established Member
I unscrewed the whole filter assembly, can I leve the whole thing out or do I need to put part of it back into the catch can? As it sits now I have just the 2 hoses and the glass container.....

Crowley

Okey doke
Established Member
BTW .. did anyone put a breather filter in on the passenger side with this setup?

thanks,
Crowley

04MystiCobra

Tuning L&M heart
Established Member
Have any of you pulled your blower/intercooler off before!?!?!
There is soooo much oil in the intercooler. It took a while to clean out all the oil that had been building up. It's so dirty in there. No way thats good.

V8Mustang

Established Member
04MystiCobra said:
Have any of you pulled your blower/intercooler off before!?!?!
There is soooo much oil in the intercooler. It took a while to clean out all the oil that had been building up. It's so dirty in there. No way thats good.

There is a good article in the last Hot Rod about detonation and one thing that was interesting is that on average engines need 4 octane points more after only 10K miles than when they were new due to carbon build up. This is a perfect example of one of the reasons for that.

04MystiCobra

Tuning L&M heart
Established Member
Which way did you guys face the arrow on the separator? Going into the valve cover or the larger line going off behind the blower?

GotGrunt

Established Member
04MystiCobra said:
Which way did you guys face the arrow on the separator? Going into the valve cover or the larger line going off behind the blower?
The flow arrow should be going from the PCV valve to the back of the blower.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread