Make your own Oil Seperator for $21

Status
Not open for further replies.

GotGrunt

Established Member
StngStr said:
Are you sure about this? So you're saying that it sucks fresh metered air from the intake tube (PVC valve hose connects to intake tube) then into the passenger side valve cover and then blows out the drivers side valve cover and into the blower? For some reason that sounds fishy to me. I thought that the passenger side valve cover pvc was for air to vent OUT into the intake tube and then be burned via combustion. Maybe I was wrong?
I'm pretty sure, someone chime in if I'm wrong :??:

LCCOBRA

Established Member
GotGrunt said:
It's the PCV system. It's used for crankcase ventilation. It sucks in fresh air from the passenger side valve cover and blows it out of the drivers side into the intake to burn all the vapors that exist in the crankcase. Aerated oil sometimes flows up and into the motor from there. This separator is used to collect the oil and separate it from the air before it enters the motor.

Sounds right to me and I plan on doing this mod in a few months and is better then paying steeda $50 for something that cost $20 to make

StngStr

Mustang-less
Established Member
But wouldn't that mess with the reading of the MAF? The MAF sensor measures air volume/flow? and adds/removes fuel or timing or something. Wouldn't sucking that air into the pass side valve cover mess that up? I always though that the pvc valve on the pass side valve cover was one way = OUT, not one way = IN.

Anyone know for sure?

Brad

Banned
StngStr said:
But wouldn't that mess with the reading of the MAF? The MAF sensor measures air volume/flow? and adds/removes fuel or timing or something. Wouldn't sucking that air into the pass side valve cover mess that up? I always though that the pvc valve on the pass side valve cover was one way = OUT, not one way = IN.

Anyone know for sure?

Well the air doesn't vanish, it ultimately ends up getting dumped back into the rear of the blower. So all metered air is being driven into the motor via the blower.

I'm just basing this off of what I've read, I have no first hand experience as to how this work, but what he said makes sense to me.

Last edited:

Mike_Hawk

Too Much Juice
Established Member
StngStr said:

Anyone know for sure?
If you're using a breather filter on the passenger side, yes, you'll be bringing in some unmetered air. Not TOO much, just some. If you still have it connected into the intake, no problems about unmetered air.

The separator is added in-line with the driver's side PCV. Airflow doesn't change. The only difference is that it'll go through the separator as well.

The passenger side has no valve whatsoever, only the driver's side. So theoretically, air can flow either way on that side.

These were my findings from doing this. :read: Please correct me if I'm wrong.

hmwave

Established Member
If the filter were blocked and restricting crankcase airflow what would the effect on the motor be?

V8Mustang

Established Member
hmwave said:
If the filter were blocked and restricting crankcase airflow what would the effect on the motor be?

Poor piston ring seal and possible engine oil seal damage.

CWD

Established Member
Removed filter

hmwave said:
Cut away from threaded housing then reinstalled. Catching about same amount of oil but with all the comments ..just to be safe!

WDW MKR

Established Member
GotGrunt said:
Would taking the filter out really stop more oil? I would think the aerated oil "mist" would pass right through the separator w/o a filter in there :shrug:

The oil is simply suspended in the passing air. When you create a wide spot in the line by installing a catch can, the pressure drop causes the liquid to fall out because it is heavier than the air. Lowering the pressure of a substance effectively raises the temperature required to boil, or flash to a gas. For instance, several substances that are in a gas form at atmospheric pressure will liquify with nothing more than a few inches of water column of pressure (less than 1psig).

Last edited:

Brad

Banned
Are you guys sure there is a point to this mod? I was recently at a machine shop, they rebuild blowers, do heads, build race motors, etc. I ran this mod by them and their response was, “that’s stupid.” Their explanation was along the lines of there never being enough oil in line to have a negative impact. They also said worst case is there is a minuet amount of oil making its way into the blower, and all that’s going to do is improve the rotor seal in the case, which makes sense when you think about it.

BBCOBRA

Established Member
Well my question to them would be have they owned a 03 / 04 cobra or blown lightning (they have the same problem). I don't have the filter in mine, just the plastic bowl. After an oil change I emptied my oil catch can (campbell hausfield air filter), it was half full, this is more than a minute amount I believe, I then drove the next couple of weeks. This past week I had to empty it again. It was almost full. This is several ounces. This was after 1300 to 1400 miles. I drive 55+ miles a day one way, mostly highway. I'm satisfied that it is needed. I may get a larger or better quality oil catch can sometime in the future.

Later

hmwave

Established Member
What I don't get with mine is it never fills past approx. 1cm, with a filter or without.

I empty it, it fills to 1cm and stops.
I empty it, it fills to 1cm and stops.
Ad infinitum.

Why doesn't it fill more?

BBCOBRA

Established Member
mine did that when I first installed it. It collected may be 1/4 to 1/2 inch in the bowl then stopped. I removed the filter and it kept on filling up until I emptied it at my next oil change. Who knows?
The last time it just about filled up in a coupel of weeks (see my last post). I'm sure driving conditions has alot to do with it. I'm not sure when the most oil passes, cruising or WOT passes, but I do alot of highway driving, cruising at 70-75 , 50 + (one way)miles daily to and from work.

Brad

Banned
BBCOBRA said:
Well my question to them would be have they owned a 03 / 04 cobra or blown lightning (they have the same problem). I don't have the filter in mine, just the plastic bowl. After an oil change I emptied my oil catch can (campbell hausfield air filter), it was half full, this is more than a minute amount I believe, I then drove the next couple of weeks. This past week I had to empty it again. It was almost full. This is several ounces. This was after 1300 to 1400 miles. I drive 55+ miles a day one way, mostly highway. I'm satisfied that it is needed. I may get a larger or better quality oil catch can sometime in the future.

Later

1400 miles is what, about 18 hours of driving? So maybe 1/8th of a cup of oil into the motor after all that time? I'm not really worried about it too much. I don't think you need to own an 03 cobra or lightning to answer this question. Their answer made sense to me, a little oil in the intake only improves vacuum/seal on the blower.

WDW MKR

Established Member
Brad said:
1400 miles is what, about 18 hours of driving? So maybe 1/8th of a cup of oil into the motor after all that time? I'm not really worried about it too much. I don't think you need to own an 03 cobra or lightning to answer this question. Their answer made sense to me, a little oil in the intake only improves vacuum/seal on the blower.

The oil buildup can also lead to decreased performance and detonation. Just ask the TurboBuick guys that clean the oil residue out of their intercoolers and throttle body every spring. I can see liquid oil improving the seals, but not the "sludge" that results from vapors in the PCV system. Catch cans have been an industry standard for several years on FI vehicles.

Also, the reason some people only see a certain level of accumulation with the filter in place is that the pressure drop reaches a point that minimizes performance of the catch can/filter.

Brad

Banned
WDW MKR said:
The oil buildup can also lead to decreased performance and detonation. Just ask the TurboBuick guys that clean the oil residue out of their intercoolers and throttle body every spring. I can see liquid oil improving the seals, but not the "sludge" that results from vapors in the PCV system. Catch cans have been an industry standard for several years on FI vehicles.

Also, the reason some people only see a certain level of accumulation with the filter in place is that the pressure drop reaches a point that minimizes performance of the catch can/filter.

Interesting to know, although I've never seen too much "sludge," built up on my intercooler.

CWD

Established Member
Synthetic oil

I wonder what different effect Synthetic oil may have vs Regular oil entering the engine? As much oil as my separator collects, more than likely you are running more oil thru your engine than you may think sludge build up or not. Thats what got me to thinking about synthetics..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread