Magnum XL going in

JUIC3D

Boost Junkie
Established Member
One of my chief issues with the Getrag unit was shifting into 5th at 7300rpm was like trying to pry a rusty hood open with a crow bar. The magnum doesn't have this affliction. Same effort across gears across rpms. I run constantly between 5500-7500 on track. However because of my 3.90 rear gears I use primarily 3rd & 4th only. Maybe dropping to 2nd once briefly on turn 4 at vir.

Ya, like I said--I had the TR6060 in my vette and absolutely loved that transmission and was very excited to see it offered in the S197. On bottle my car made ~660whp/700wtq and that transmission never skipped a beat with 7000rpm shifts. With the twin disc clutch I was able to log shift times of right at .1 with a full lifting of the throttle. Tremec ftw!

Thanks for the information. I can't wait to place the order for mine :beer:

MGW

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
looks awesome!

we will be putting a t56 magnum xl in our mgw boss track car end of the year( if we do not get the 302s ). I will have a better shifter for it I promise ...if your car is down a while and you want to pop that oem shifter off for me for a week I will get you a free one made when we release it .if interested give me a call 706-793-1770 or email me [email protected]

regards
George

:beer:

JUIC3D

Boost Junkie
Established Member
looks awesome!

we will be putting a t56 magnum xl in our mgw boss track car end of the year( if we do not get the 302s ). I will have a better shifter for it I promise ...if your car is down a while and you want to pop that oem shifter off for me for a week I will get you a free one made when we release it .if interested give me a call 706-793-1770 or email me [email protected]

regards
George

:beer:

Wow George that is great news! That was my single biggest point of contention in going to a tremec--the lack of a MGW shifter for it. Sign me up for the shifter waiting list please! :beer:

NVR2L8

Established Member
Can anyone tell me who sells the complete package (tranny, bellhousing, clutch, flywheel and all parts needed), and at a decent price. I need to do a quick turn-key install.

TIA

JUIC3D

Boost Junkie
Established Member
Bought my T56 Magnum XL trans and RST clutch from JPC as well. Excellent transaction and it arrived faster than they said it would. Very satisfied

heatsoaked12

Established Member
I just had this tranny put in my 12 gt500. Still under break in period but quite noisy at times. Anyone else notice this?

JUIC3D

Boost Junkie
Established Member
Noisy how? The T56 is definitely more visceral than the MT82, that is for sure. I like it though, it makes the car feel like a mustang instead of a BRZ.

blackbeast12

Dr. Frankenstang
Established Member
I just had this tranny put in my 12 gt500. Still under break in period but quite noisy at times. Anyone else notice this?

let me start by saying mine does not make any noise but i attribute that to the fact that when i had my mt-82 and upgraded to an mgw shifter i blanketed the tranny tunnel with dynomat both topside and bottom side.The reason why most manufacturers go with remote mounted shifters is to remove the noise associated with top mounted shifters such as the magnums and a few other tremecs. So its normal to have more noise from these trannys because of the shifting mechanism / tranny literally being attached to the trans tunnel. Secondly the tremec crossmember mount uses a harder durometer rubber then the mt-82 does for less deflection. This translates into a little more noise as well. In short its a big brawny beast of a tranny leaning more on the side of strength and reliability rather then civility. that being said, there are things you cant do to improve its civility. Dynomat it as i explained earlier. Also make sure that the factory rubber boot that seals off the road noise from the cabin is used. I have heard of occasions where guys forgot to install them during the swap and were wondering why the noise was so loud!

Boot:

imagejpg1_zpsf01ea11c.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread