Magnum XL going in

darreng505

Established Member
Thanks, I was figuring either them or Excessive. EB3 used to sponsor my softball team years ago! I'm also in Northwest PW county, Gainesville. Do you ever hit up Kohls in Fair Lakes or Coffee n Cars in Great Falls? Not sure if the NVMC still exists these days.

Never been! But my car is no longer street legal so I couldn't bring it. I had excessive do a couple things for me but not sure if they're still around.

Steve. Ill get some pics up! Glad to see your car doing well in its makeover too.

Grant808

Established Member
The gearing is not even close to the gearing of the mt82. The magnum t56 would be perfect with 4.10's IMO.

-Thomas

The car is a road racer. I doubt he'll feel the car is sluggish. These cars can use a lot taller gearing on high speed tracks.

Darren, If you're still planning on a S/C for the car...you might even need something taller.

darreng505

Established Member
The car is a road racer. I doubt he'll feel the car is sluggish. These cars can use a lot taller gearing on high speed tracks.

Darren, If you're still planning on a S/C for the car...you might even need something taller.

Yeah either SC or coyote stroker 351. So probably a 3.55 or 3.31 then?

poof100

Established Member
Never been! But my car is no longer street legal so I couldn't bring it. I had excessive do a couple things for me but not sure if they're still around.

Steve. Ill get some pics up! Glad to see your car doing well in its makeover too.

What do you all have done to the car to not drive it on the street? Just curious. Excessive moved out of their big shop and they share a shop now with some Porsche tuner up in Chantilly, I forget the name of it.

Splatter

Established Member
When I crunched my MT 82 syncros I thought the only solution was a the Tremec box. But, when you make the gear tables you can see that the ratios are so long compared to MT82 ratios. Was thinking of a 4.55 rear end but went with the MGW shifter and new syncros instead and am happy so far.

darreng505

Established Member
What do you all have done to the car to not drive it on the street? Just curious. Excessive moved out of their big shop and they share a shop now with some Porsche tuner up in Chantilly, I forget the name of it.

My car has non-DOT competition slicks on it.
Off road exhaust.
expired safety sticker
won't pass emissions
6pt harnesses
:rockon:

When I crunched my MT 82 syncros I thought the only solution was a the Tremec box. But, when you make the gear tables you can see that the ratios are so long compared to MT82 ratios. Was thinking of a 4.55 rear end but went with the MGW shifter and new syncros instead and am happy so far.

The tremec solves a number of important problems the MT-82 creates, for my uses.

1. Direct shift. The tremec's direct mounted shifter eliminates the shifting problems that will foul any competitive race and is part of the reason I lost some gears in the Getrag to begin with.
2. Stronger. The tremec is twice as strong as the MT-82 and can handle much higher horespower/torque.
3. Gearing. The MT-82 1:1 5th gear means I top out at 152+ mph. I need to go faster than that....6th gear is useless in a road race. The tremec will pull to 180 in 5th. Also, I need to go up to 115 in 3rd gear to avoid some awkward shifting and loss of RPM's on the track at certain sections. In the MT-82, there are parts of VIR I'm stuck at 7500rpm in 3rd going sub-100. If I shift to 4th, I lose rpm's for a short distance and can get passed. With the tremec I can manage rpm's all the way from turn 1 to turn 6a in 3rd gear without the extra upshift/downshift/upshift I have to do in the MT-82. Very important.

Those are just 3 key reasons.

Last edited:

poof100

Established Member
My car has non-DOT competition slicks on it.
Off road exhaust.
expired safety sticker
won't pass emissions
6pt harnesses
:rockon:

Ah gotcha. There are ways around the off road exhaust and safety sticker, but the slicks might be an issue :burnout:

darreng505

Established Member
Here ya go Steve. First round of pics.

Old MT-82 (R.I.P) :burn:
mt82.jpg

Tremec Care Package :banana:
carepackage.jpg

RXT :bowdown:
mcleod.jpg

Flywheel with soon to be applied ARP bolts :D
flywheel.jpg

Eric@jpc

Established Member
Any one interested it doing the swap shoot me a PM or call and i can help you work out all the details. We offer the swap with just about any clutch you could want.

I also have some packages with just the Trans and Driveshaft for those of you that already have clutches or just want to purchase 26 Spline Discs

kcobra

MUSTANG MANIAC
Established Member
Anxious to here how you like it. I'm considering this swap next year since the MT-82 is garbage in my mind. I've never missed a shift with an old T-56 and I can shift those like an auto tranny. With this MT-82 I have to slow down to make it work. I hate it.

darreng505

Established Member
Apparently the flywheel, clutch swap triggered a crank sensor relearn need. My tuner almost bricked the car because the car's ECU was a "few versions behind" the IDS flash device that issued the relearn. They had to update the ECU version AND the SCT tuner device versions and got everything running again.

Close call.

Today, it goes on the dyno for some WOT pulls to see if the ECU and engine are happy. My limited time driving the car below 3k RPM with the RXT clutch and new trans have been great. Can really feel the difference. More confident feel.

Real test comes at the track this weekend.

thebull

150 or Bust
Established Member
Apparently the flywheel, clutch swap triggered a crank sensor relearn need. My tuner almost bricked the car because the car's ECU was a "few versions behind" the IDS flash device that issued the relearn. They had to update the ECU version AND the SCT tuner device versions and got everything running again.

Close call.

Today, it goes on the dyno for some WOT pulls to see if the ECU and engine are happy. My limited time driving the car below 3k RPM with the RXT clutch and new trans have been great. Can really feel the difference. More confident feel.

Real test comes at the track this weekend.

Hell yeah...Enjoy!!

darreng505

Established Member
I'll get some pics up tomorrow. Day 1 at VIR with the new trans went well. Too much traffic to beat my best time, but turned in a 2:13 nonethless. It pulls strong but revs lower in certain areas of the track and I have to go to a higher gear.
To offset that part is I can stay in the same gear longer in parts of the track without upshifting in the MT-82 and losing RPM's. So there's somewhat of a tradeoff here I need to study more.
Need to restructure all my shifts to keep the RPMs where they need to be.
But I didn't get passed by anyone, so the boss holds up great.

Last edited:

hkerekes

Established Member
I'll get some pics up tomorrow. Day 1 at VIR with the new trans went well. Too much traffic to beat my best time, but turned in a 2:13 nonethless. It pulls strong but revs lower in certain areas of the track and I have to go to a higher gear.
To offset that part is I can stay in the same gear longer in parts of the track without downshifting in the MT-82 and losing RPM's. So there's somewhat of a tradeoff here I need to study more.
Need to restructure all my shifts to keep the RPMs where they need to be.
But I didn't get passed by anyone, so the boss holds up great.

When i tracked mine at VIR using 3rd 4th and 5th really sucked. 2:13 is moving. Did you see an attractive woman driving a Fiat 500 Abarth?

Users who are viewing this thread