Magnum XL going in

darreng505

Established Member
Hi,
I am putting the Tremec Magnum XL transmission etc. in my '12 Boss.
Was looking for anyone who has done this already and can provide some info on what to expect.

I got the McLeod RXT clutch as well. Any tips on that is appreciated (e.g. how does it drive, shift, etc)

I got the 2.66 gears in the trans.

D

AZBOSS

Established Member
Hi,
I am putting the Tremec Magnum XL transmission etc. in my '12 Boss.
Was looking for anyone who has done this already and can provide some info on what to expect.

I got the McLeod RXT clutch as well. Any tips on that is appreciated (e.g. how does it drive, shift, etc)

I got the 2.66 gears in the trans.

D

You might PM YellowBoss on BMO, he has one in his car now.

I have the RXT for the MT-82 and it's got quite a bit of holding power. The engagement is more aggressive than the stock clutch. Takes more throttle to slip it smoothly, but with the ceramic friction material of the RXT it's not an issue for longevity. I suggest removing the clutch assist spring from the pedal assembly (you can find a number of DIY threads on this here and other S197 forums).

Are you going to have the retailer swap out the 5th/6th gear set for the .80 5th in the 2.97 box?

Last edited:

darreng505

Established Member
You might PM YellowBoss on BMO, he has one in his car now.

I have the RXT for the MT-82 and it's got quite a bit of holding power. The engagement is more aggressive than the stock clutch. Takes more throttle to slip it smoothly, but with the ceramic friction material of the RXT it's not an issue for longevity. I suggest removing the clutch assist spring from the pedal assembly (you can find a number of DIY threads on this here and other S197 forums).

Are you going to have the retailer swap out the 5th/6th gear set for the .80 5th in the 2.97 box?

You know, I will ask them about that.

So the RXT is not as smooth shifting as the stock clutch?!?

EDIT: Done. I ordered it with the 5th/6th gears from the 2.97 set. Gonna take longer to build, but should be worth it.

Last edited:

AZBOSS

Established Member
You know, I will ask them about that.

So the RXT is not as smooth shifting as the stock clutch?!?

EDIT: Done. I ordered it with the 5th/6th gears from the 2.97 set. Gonna take longer to build, but should be worth it.

Great news on that 5th/6th gear swap out. That's going to make 5th a bit more useful at the track.

The RXT shifts just fine it's just that the engagement from a stop is more aggressive than the stock clutch--it will take some getting used to. Mine is great. The pedal effort is a lot less than stock--feels better to me with that pedal assist spring removed but it works fine with it, as well.

Last edited:

darreng505

Established Member
Magnum arrived at the shop by freight this morning. That, and a bevy of other upgrades will be completed next week. Also adding the high RPM comp pulse ring while I'm at it.

- Magnum 2.66 close ratio trans
- McLeod RXT twin disc clutch
- High RPM comp pulse ring
- BMR lowered K-member (lowers motor 1/2")
- JPC motor mounts for BMR k member
- Toyo RS1 competition full slicks
- Boss LS gauge pod and 3 gauges
- MM camber plates over my 18000-C struts
-

poof100

Established Member
Magnum arrived at the shop by freight this morning. That, and a bevy of other upgrades will be completed next week. Also adding the high RPM comp pulse ring while I'm at it.

- Magnum 2.66 close ratio trans
- McLeod RXT twin disc clutch
- High RPM comp pulse ring
- BMR lowered K-member (lowers motor 1/2")
- JPC motor mounts for BMR k member
- Toyo RS1 competition full slicks
- Boss LS gauge pod and 3 gauges
- MM camber plates over my 18000-C struts
-

Is JPC doing the Magnum install for you? Just curious. This is the next mod on my list.

poof100

Established Member
No. Jpc is offering free shipping on the full kit so I'm having my local perf shop do the work.
Jpc is about 80miles from me.

Ok sounds good. Yeah, they are about 70-75 miles or so from my in NoVa but my Boss is there now with them. Out of curiosity, who is your local shop if you don't mind me asking?

darreng505

Established Member
Ok sounds good. Yeah, they are about 70-75 miles or so from my in NoVa but my Boss is there now with them. Out of curiosity, who is your local shop if you don't mind me asking?

EB3 Motorsports in Manassas. They've worked on my boss since I got it. Great bunch of guys. They are 5 miles from me.

GrabberOrange

Established Member
Does the engine need to be lower (BMR lowered K-member (lowers motor 1/2")) for this transmission to work properly?

Blazer707@TBR

Master Ford Tech
Authorized Vendor
The gearing is not even close to the gearing of the mt82. The magnum t56 would be perfect with 4.10's IMO.

-Thomas

poof100

Established Member
EB3 Motorsports in Manassas. They've worked on my boss since I got it. Great bunch of guys. They are 5 miles from me.

Thanks, I was figuring either them or Excessive. EB3 used to sponsor my softball team years ago! I'm also in Northwest PW county, Gainesville. Do you ever hit up Kohls in Fair Lakes or Coffee n Cars in Great Falls? Not sure if the NVMC still exists these days.

Users who are viewing this thread