Magnum XL going in

kcobra

MUSTANG MANIAC
Established Member
I just want to hear if you can row the gears as fast as you can without missing shifts or grinding. Those are the woes of the MT82 I hate.

darreng505

Established Member
I just want to hear if you can row the gears as fast as you can without missing shifts or grinding. Those are the woes of the MT82 I hate.

No missing. No grinding. Constant feel and feedback throughout RPM range and during high speed braking/cornering. The RXT clutch is great. It has a higher engagement point though (which i noticed under WOT as i was revving by accident for leaving my foot on the gas a fraction too long - muscle memory from old clutch) so you have to lift off the gas sooner when upshifting but its a smoother, faster shift overall.
Ill post more pics late tonight or tomorrow.

Last edited:

poof100

Established Member
What shifter are you using with the magnun? The stock Tremec one? I've found only Steeda makes a shifter for it right now. Talked to George of MGW and Barton at Mustang Week and neither of them have plans right now for a shifter. Are you using the stock Tremec knob or another one? Do you know the thread pitch of the handle?

Thanks

darreng505

Established Member
I'm using the stock/integrated shifter. It feels great. Below you will see my custom Boss 302 shift knob. The thread size of the stock shifter arm is M12x1.75

tremec-shifter1.jpg

tremec-shifter2.jpg

Last edited:

darreng505

Established Member
Here are some follow up pics of the trans etc.

New Kmember, trans, billet mount mounts
kmember1.png

Different angle
trans2.png

Trans Mount
transmount.png

Bellhousing
bellhousing1.png

Driveshaft w/joint
drivershaft2.png

poof100

Established Member
I'm using the stock/integrated shifter. It feels great. Below you will see my custom Boss 302 shift knob. The thread size of the stock shifter arm is M12x1.75

tremec-shifter1.jpg

tremec-shifter2.jpg

Thanks man, looks awesome! Thanks for confirming on the Thread size, that helps with my Speed Dawg shift knob order. Where did you get your shift knob from? I'm doing the White with Black racing stripe one for my Magnum XL that is going into my White Boss 302.

What did you do about a shift knob retainer?

On the k member pics on your next post, what K member are you running, BMR? Car looks kickass!

Last edited:

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
Darren, if you still have the MT82 can you get a measurement for me? I'm looking to see how far it is from the bellhousing face (where it mates with the back of the engine) to the output shaft fixed flange face (where the driveshaft attaches to it).

mt82.jpg

Looks like if you square off the flange at the back and extend it out far enough you could then get a straight measurement to the bellhousing face. I'm asking because I'm interested to see how close this tranny relates to the TR6060. Ultimately I'm wondering about an adapter that would allow the '13/'14 GT500 carbon fiber driveshaft to retrofit to GT/Boss cars that are still running an MT82.

Thanks either way.

Tob

Punisher1401

Established Member
I did this swap on my 05 Saleen awhile back. Excellent setup. Shifts are butter smooth. The ratios are very different from the MT82 and takes a little relearning of the driving habits. Trans is durable!!

kcobra

MUSTANG MANIAC
Established Member
I'm guessing the Boss 302 LS uses this 6060 and you could purchase all you need from ford? Please chime in if different.

Tyler72

Established Member
No, the Boss LS still uses the MT-82 unfortunately. Although honestly I don't have any problems with it. Mine shifts great. My complaints are A. the clutch system that doesn't work so well over 7000 RPM, and B. the sloppy shifter linkage. Once these issues are addressed, its really not a bad setup.

The Boss 302S road race car has the TR6060, the same as the GT500.

JUIC3D

Boost Junkie
Established Member
No, the Boss LS still uses the MT-82 unfortunately. Although honestly I don't have any problems with it. Mine shifts great. My complaints are A. the clutch system that doesn't work so well over 7000 RPM, and B. the sloppy shifter linkage. Once these issues are addressed, its really not a bad setup.

The Boss 302S road race car has the TR6060, the same as the GT500.

I had the same complaints. It was a long journey but the following has 100% transformed my driving/clutch experience.

a) change fluid often, 1-2 times per month, 1 $5 can from auto parts store
b) remove helper spring
c) installed clutch return spring
d) mgw shifter
e) Amsoil mtg fluid swap
f) jhr stainless replacement line.
g) bleed brake system every 5k miles.

With all that, i'm able to shift at 7500 routinely on motor and on nitrous and have 0 nibble or cold shift issues.

Hope that helps

Punisher1401

Established Member
^ interesting list. Had my first experience with the pedal stuck down on a 7000+ rpm shift during the Coyote cruise at Mustang Week. Gonna need to do something to address that.

Users who are viewing this thread