Kenne Bell blowers for 96-98 cobra

J.Kincaid

Established Member
ill try it......it wont be for another couple months but what the hell ill give it a try. sounds like a decent setup plus im not trying to run 15psi i just want to run 12psi or so and no get heat soaked all the time. When it is time for my kb upgrade i will shoot you a pm my friend and we will work things out i promise.

Just let me know, but to be fair if somebody decides to do this before you're ready, then I'll have to send them the kit.

Thanks,
Joe

Last edited:

J.Kincaid

Established Member
One of you needs to jump on this ASAP! He's offering a $500+ part for free.

It will be like driving your car in the crisp winter air. Joe's kits are well known and work. Sure it's not cooling it post blower but it will still have the same positive effects pre blower.

Thanks for the kind words my friend. You're right, with this kit it would be like driving around in the winter.

- Joe

Very tempted to do take up Joe on his offer since I was planning on installing my KB this coming weekend...

Just let me know.

- Joe

if you dont i will lol:banana:

I'm doing this as a first come first served kind of deal. So if you think you can get the necessary parts together let me know.

- Joe

If you can get Mark Olsen to test, he would be the best in my opinion. If he is not interested I would like be considered for this kit. I'm no Mark, but I could do right by the kit as far as installation and testing goes.

Mods are in sig. The 97 Pacific Green Cobra, not the 96 black vert.

Like I said, I'll ship this kit out to anyone who's serious about installing this setup on their KB Cobra.

Anyone interested, check Ebay for the necessary parts. Also, you can pick up a new Lightning IC pump for $84.00 shipped. Just let me know and I'll get you the info on it.

Thanks,
Joe

Mystic-SVT

snuggle fest, mmmmm!
Established Member
Joe,

If I end up doing this would I have to run a front mount heat exchanger or would the air to water intercooler act as the heat exhanger? If so then all I would need would be an intercooler pump, lines, air to water intercooler, your killer chiller kit, reservoir, and of course a working a/c system correct?

J.Kincaid

Established Member
Joe,

If I end up doing this would I have to run a front mount heat exchanger or would the air to water intercooler act as the heat exhanger? If so then all I would need would be an intercooler pump, lines, air to water intercooler, your killer chiller kit, reservoir, and of course a working a/c system correct?

No, you would not run a heat exchanger, everything else I bolded is correct.

- Joe

BFFB10

Established Member
Kb2.1

I have a stock 1997 Cobra with CAI, ATI Damper, MSD coils, BBK H-pipe w/cats, Mac CB, Heads were clean up, still stock. KB 2.1l, 6Speed, 410gear. Running on 98 oct. 403RWH and 300plus RWT, Still the MAN on AUTOBAHN and Back Roads.:beer: You will never be the best and win all the time, :rockon: enjoy the mountment.

scottg

it's good to be blown
Established Member
I have a stock 1997 Cobra with CAI, ATI Damper, MSD coils, BBK H-pipe w/cats, Mac CB, Heads were clean up, still stock. KB 2.1l, 6Speed, 410gear. Running on 98 oct. 403RWH and 300plus RWT, Still the MAN on AUTOBAHN and Back Roads.:beer: You will never be the best and win all the time, :rockon: enjoy the mountment.

Nice HP numbers. No headers?

mwolson

Gray beard
Established Member
If you can get Mark Olsen to test, he would be the best in my opinion. If he is not interested I would like be considered for this kit. I'm no Mark, but I could do right by the kit as far as installation and testing goes.

I finally read this thread, and it is really tempting. I know it would help a lot. But here in Cali, the smog laws are so draconian, I'd have to pull it all off every two years or bribe a test-only smog tech, which is getting harder to do, not that I would know anything about that. :nono:

And I am coming up on my smog test next year, so I think I'll have to pass on this opportunity.

I am also back working on the gauge upgrade circuit, and I don't want to put that back on the backburner again like I have for the past year.

But then again, Jack, do you know what the process is to get a CARB EO number for a kit such as this if one were to put a kit together?

JP_Stang

Established Member
I know some of you guys say that you don't drive the car much and that will definitely save it much longer. But, I just don't know why you would take the chance of installing something on your car that will create so much heat. Those IAT's would be enough in itself to scare me away. If you are dead set on a twin screw type blower, I would do the Eaton swap so that you will have somewhat controlled IAT's.

Also, those that would just put a meth kit on, you might want to check out what Posi Performance says in the Blower Bistro under "Meth or Not" thread. Posi and his friends own the fastest Eaton cars in the nation, and he states that he has never seen any changes to IAT's on these types of blowers from using meth. He also stated that he never saw IAT changes with nitrous either, but did see HP gains obviously.

Might be something to think about before going through with this blower.

OH3BLKSVT

Screwed by the twins
Established Member
i had a 97 cobra with a Paxton Novi2000 that thing laid down about 460 at 10lbs was fast and fun but now my 03 cobra with the eaton might be a little less hp but the power is there waaaaaay quicker and feels twice as fast! just my .02

do the c swap, build the motor, TS and call it a day!

KoBra_98

TT04 98KoBra 70Boss302
Established Member
I am also very interested in this thread. Just finished my KB install last month.

racecougar

MN12 parts guy
Established Member
I know this is my first post here, but I stumbled across this post and thought I'd chime in. I've been messing around with KB's 2.1L for a few years now.

...and just for the OP's info- the 2.1 does not whine at all.

It depends on what drive ratio you're running. I'm running a 2:1 drive ratio on the 2.1L on my 5.0L 4V stroker, and it definitely whines at 10 psi. Here is an in-car video if you'd like to hear it:

Shootout 2011 :: Run3incarsmaller.mp4 video by racecougar - Photobucket

Doesnt the 2.1 lack a bypass valve as well?

The centri route is most likely safer in the long term because you can drive it without being in boost.

Yes, the base 2.1L kit doesn't have a bypass valve. That doesn't mean that you're constantly driving around in boost though. You won't see boost without a high throttle position and/or a good deal of load.

Also, those that would just put a meth kit on, you might want to check out what Posi Performance says in the Blower Bistro under "Meth or Not" thread. Posi and his friends own the fastest Eaton cars in the nation, and he states that he has never seen any changes to IAT's on these types of blowers from using meth. He also stated that he never saw IAT changes with nitrous either, but did see HP gains obviously.

Might be something to think about before going through with this blower.

I'm assuming his comments were on intercooled setups, correct? That makes a BIG difference. He's correct...meth injection typically doesn't show any big gains on the '03-04 Cobra setups. However, it does make a BIG difference on our non-intercooled KB setups. On my setup in particular, at 5 psi, I was seeing ACT's reach 110-120 degrees above ambient by the end of a pass. By adding meth injection, I'm now able to run 10 psi, and the highest ACT's I've seen at the end of a pass are only 40-50 degrees above ambient. Needless to say, I've been able to pick up a great deal of power due to the cooling ability of meth injection. The car was making 320 something rwhp at 5 psi before meth injection. It's currently at 478 rwhp at 10 psi with a 625ml/min nozzle.

All of this is crammed in a '90 Cougar XR7, by the way.

P1110830.jpg

mwolson

Gray beard
Established Member
If you put meth before an intercooler, the interooler will actually heat up the air charge to very near the intercooler water temperature, after the meth has cooled it. If you inject the meth after the intercooler, it does help cool the charge further.

Sharksfan81

Established Member
Hey guys, I am new to this forum and I am curious of those of you who got the KB, how would this work for a car I use as my daily driver? Would it really be a problem with all this heat soak talk? I don't want to just blow up my block. I don't plan on running a lot of boost, just the 6psi kenne bell kit with their tune on my 98 cobra.

Also how hard is it to setup a water/meth injection kit for this setup? I have never used meth as my last car had a procharger with a intercooler. I would prefer not to use it at all and just keep my car a fun daily driver. I will take it to the track once maybe twice a year.

I realize with the KB i am looking at about 375 for HP and with the procharger intercooled I would most likely be in the 425 range on the stock block. But I really want to try a Kenne bell this time... Just sucks they don't have a intercooler for it.

mwolson

Gray beard
Established Member
I have been daily driving mine since it was installed in July of 2006, and have put about 35K miles on her. My only real problem with the blower to date is the KB idler pulley has started to howl like a banshee when cold. I just bought a replacement from KB and it will be going in soon.

I am running 6PSI with a custom tune, since three KB tunes did not work on my car for me. (My car is a cast iron b!tch to tune, it turns out.) I would recommend relocating the IAT sensor after the blower, and getting a custom tune rather than leaving the IAT sensor in the stock location and running the KB tune. But I am sure the KB tune will be good for you, assuming your car is not the shrew mine can be.

I also hate the FMB, so if you are going with a custom tune, you should junk the FMB and put in 42" injectors. If you do that, don't forget to index the fuel pressure regulator to boost rather than vacuum. The KB instructions are not clear about that.

I put a PLX DM-200 OBD gauge in my car. I use it to watch both the ECTs and IATs. On a hot summer day, my IATs easily hit 250*. I just try to stay out of boost on days like that, although the ACT tables in my tune pulls plenty of spark when that happens. I notice I am way down in power when that happens, but the motor is protected.

My tune is pretty conservative, which is probably why I haven't had any trouble with my stock bottom end over the years. I am putting down 342/357 to the ground. I wouldn't expect 375. But it is a blast to drive because of the flat torque curve. The boost and torque comes on fast, so I don't feel like I need more axle ratio. I'm right at the limit of my stock sized Nitto 555Rs with the stock 3.73s.

The more horses you squeeze out of a stock bottom end, the less likely it will be that you engine will last. If you want to play, be prepared to pay.

I can spank the local M3s at the lights around here, which was the objective. The only real downside, is the KB will leave you wanting MORE!

That's why there's an intercooled KB Teksid terminator motor very slowly coming together on the engine stand in my garage...

Sharksfan81

Established Member
I have been daily driving mine since it was installed in July of 2006, and have put about 35K miles on her. My only real problem with the blower to date is the KB idler pulley has started to howl like a banshee when cold. I just bought a replacement from KB and it will be going in soon.

I am running 6PSI with a custom tune, since three KB tunes did not work on my car for me. (My car is a cast iron b!tch to tune, it turns out.) I would recommend relocating the IAT sensor after the blower, and getting a custom tune rather than leaving the IAT sensor in the stock location and running the KB tune. But I am sure the KB tune will be good for you, assuming your car is not the shrew mine can be.

I also hate the FMB, so if you are going with a custom tune, you should junk the FMB and put in 42" injectors. If you do that, don't forget to index the fuel pressure regulator to boost rather than vacuum. The KB instructions are not clear about that.

I put a PLX DM-200 OBD gauge in my car. I use it to watch both the ECTs and IATs. On a hot summer day, my IATs easily hit 250*. I just try to stay out of boost on days like that, although the ACT tables in my tune pulls plenty of spark when that happens. I notice I am way down in power when that happens, but the motor is protected.

My tune is pretty conservative, which is probably why I haven't had any trouble with my stock bottom end over the years. I am putting down 342/357 to the ground. I wouldn't expect 375. But it is a blast to drive because of the flat torque curve. The boost and torque comes on fast, so I don't feel like I need more axle ratio. I'm right at the limit of my stock sized Nitto 555Rs with the stock 3.73s.

The more horses you squeeze out of a stock bottom end, the less likely it will be that you engine will last. If you want to play, be prepared to pay.

I can spank the local M3s at the lights around here, which was the objective. The only real downside, is the KB will leave you wanting MORE!

That's why there's an intercooled KB Teksid terminator motor very slowly coming together on the engine stand in my garage...

This was a great response and I really appreciate it. Thank you for all the information. I see you are in San Jose, as I am too. Where did you go to get it tuned? Also I would absolutely love to get a ride in your car sometime if you were ever willing. Just around the block with you driving, I'll buy ya a tank of gas! Would be really cool to get an idea of what exactly a Kenne bell feels like. Anyways Thank you again for the good info.

encasedmetal

WHINO!
Established Member
This was a great response and I really appreciate it. Thank you for all the information. I see you are in San Jose, as I am too. Where did you go to get it tuned? Also I would absolutely love to get a ride in your car sometime if you were ever willing. Just around the block with you driving, I'll buy ya a tank of gas! Would be really cool to get an idea of what exactly a Kenne bell feels like. Anyways Thank you again for the good info.

Mark tunes his own car using SCT pro racer software

racecougar

MN12 parts guy
Established Member
Also how hard is it to setup a water/meth injection kit for this setup? I have never used meth as my last car had a procharger with a intercooler. I would prefer not to use it at all and just keep my car a fun daily driver. I will take it to the track once maybe twice a year.

Installing a meth injection setup isn't difficult at all. Run a 2-1/2 gallon trunk-mounted tank and you will not need to refill it often, even on a daily driver. I'm running a 625 ml/min nozzle (at 6 PSI, I'd recommend a 375 ml/min nozzle), and yet it takes much much longer than you'd expect to go through a tank. The power you can pick up with the cooler air charge (assuming you've relocated your IAT sensor and have a good tune) makes meth injection VERY worthwhile on these non-intercooled KB's.

...I would recommend relocating the IAT sensor after the blower, and getting a custom tune rather than leaving the IAT sensor in the stock location and running the KB tune...

...I also hate the FMB, so if you are going with a custom tune, you should junk the FMB and put in 42" injectors. If you do that, don't forget to index the fuel pressure regulator to boost rather than vacuum. The KB instructions are not clear about that...

x2 to both of those suggestions. I wouldn't even consider running the stock injectors with their FMU. Stick a set of 42# injectors on it and get it tuned.

Drill and tap the blower manifold for a threaded IAT sensor before even beginning the install. Honestly, KB should have done this from the start.

manifold-IMRCdeletes.jpg

undersidemanifold-IMRCdeletes.jpg

Last edited:

mwolson

Gray beard
Established Member
Drill and tap the blower manifold for a threaded IAT sensor before even beginning the install. Honestly, KB should have done this from the start.

I am pretty sure KB would have had a MUCH harder time getting a CARB EO number if they had relocated the IAT sensor, and gone to bigger injectors. I'd bet dollars to donuts that is why they didn't do it.

The other bit of advice I forgot to give is to do an IMRC delete while you are at it. With the KB, you really don't need them and they are a PITA for maintenence.

I usually use the dyno at TPS Motorsports when I do my tuning. It's a new load bearing dyno, and it is nice to tune on. Vince does the tuning down there and he'll do a good job for you. I don't trust my old ears to hear detonation very well anymore, so I no longer tune for others. I'd hate to blow someone else/s motor

If you want to meet down at TPS, I'll introduce you and give you a ride in my car, no problem. There's still a "little" rubber on my Nittos...

Mon-Wed is better than Thu-Sun for me.

Users who are viewing this thread