Kenne Bell blowers for 96-98 cobra

encasedmetal

WHINO!
Established Member
for you guys that have a KB on your cobra. Consider picking up the biggest air to water intercooler you can fit under the hood. You can usually find one fairly cheap on Ebay. Then get one of our KC kits. The air entering the intake would be about 38~40 degrees all year round. This would be a true intercooled setup.

We did a kit like this many years ago and it worked extremely well. If the intercooler is not to restrictive you'll actually pick up a couple more pounds of boost, and it will prevent heat soak and timing retard. Of course you'll have to run a reservoir and an IC pump. If you shop around you could put this together for about $250~$300.

I can put the KC kit together for you guys for $450.00 (normally $550.00). This would cost more than a meth kit, but you'd never have to worry about mixing/running out of meth and your temps would be much cooler too.

- Joe

not to rain on your parade but your system nor any systen works to IC a B head PD blower setup. heads will not allow for IC valley clearance and a air to air is a terrible PITA on these. would be a good thing for the 99+ cars though.

mustangsvt281

Established Member
not to rain on your parade but your system nor any systen works to IC a B head PD blower setup. heads will not allow for IC valley clearance and a air to air is a terrible PITA on these. would be a good thing for the 99+ cars though.

i was reading a write on someone building a air to water intercooler for a non intercooled kb setup on a fox body. it was on corral, i cant find the link now but the guy actually finished it and said it lowered temps up to 100 degrees. Pretty neat write up, i mean you could intercool the kb for our cars but the money in fab work you work spend would be crazy, i think you would be better off doing the c head swap and getting the 2.8 KB

encasedmetal

WHINO!
Established Member
I read his thread when he did and yes it worked but he spent I think almost a year doing it and it looks ugly as **** crammed in the bay IMO.

Mystic-SVT

snuggle fest, mmmmm!
Established Member
i was reading a write on someone building a air to water intercooler for a non intercooled kb setup on a fox body. it was on corral, i cant find the link now but the guy actually finished it and said it lowered temps up to 100 degrees. Pretty neat write up, i mean you could intercool the kb for our cars but the money in fab work you work spend would be crazy, i think you would be better off doing the c head swap and getting the 2.8 KB

I read his thread when he did and yes it worked but he spent I think almost a year doing it and it looks ugly as **** crammed in the bay IMO.

Heres the writeup you guys are talking about. Its a good build IMO but I just don't see how it could work on our cars.

http://forums.corral.net/forums/mem...-bell-fox-air-air-intercooler-build-list.html

Last edited:

J.Kincaid

Established Member
Obviously I didn't make my self clear. I'm talking about placing an air to water intercooler before the intake, just like the Vortech setup. Instead of 110-120 degree air entering the supercharger, you'd have 38~40 degree air entering the supercharger. The air would be denser too, so you'd pick up a couple of pounds of boost. This would be a true intercooled setup.

- Joe

mysicman

Resident Pill Pusher
Established Member
Any pics of a copleted project car or the kit you are refering to. Sounds interesting for sure.

J.Kincaid

Established Member
Any pics of a copleted project car or the kit you are refering to. Sounds interesting for sure.

I don't. This was many years ago. I would be willing to put my money where my mouth is. If someone wants to pick up the necessary pieces - air to water intercooler, reservoir, and IC pump, then I'll provide the KC kit free of charge.

They'd have to provide data, and pics though. since this kit would work for anyone running a Vortech kit, I'd have to take your CC info and if you don't install this kit on your KB setup within 45 days, then I'd charge your CC. Another words I don't want someone taking this kit for free and selling it, or putting it on their Vortech setup.

- Joe

96S/Cobra

Established Member
So your saying that with your vortech, your car can still drive/run pretty normal if your just driving around non-wot? That's good info too.

Simply put...yes. With the Vortech, anything above 3.5-4K or so and it pulls like a freight train as well, just like the KB does from idle to 5k or so (again, refering to the 1.5L that I had)

It's a completely different powerband between the two, and I truly enjoy both blowers. For a basically stock street car (motor wise) the KB is a great option.

mysicman

Resident Pill Pusher
Established Member
I don't. This was many years ago. I would be willing to put my money where my mouth is. If someone wants to pick up the necessary pieces - air to water intercooler, reservoir, and IC pump, then I'll provide the KC kit free of charge.

They'd have to provide data, and pics though. since this kit would work for anyone running a Vortech kit, I'd have to take your CC info and if you don't install this kit on your KB setup within 45 days, then I'd charge your CC. Another words I don't want someone taking this kit for free and selling it, or putting it on their Vortech setup.

- Joe

Sounds like a good oportunity for somebody who's already running a KB to give it a try:beer: If it works as well as you claim it might just start a new trend....

Any takers?

SVTContique

Putting the intercooler before the supercharger isnt going to help much, sure it might drop the intake air temps a bit but most people relocate the IAT sensor after the charger which is where the heat soak actually occours.

Simply put, the KB is a weak design, i went through all the same questions and back and forth before i bought my Procharger.... its 100x better.

J.Kincaid

Established Member
Putting the intercooler before the supercharger isnt going to help much, sure it might drop the intake air temps a bit but most people relocate the IAT sensor after the charger which is where the heat soak actually occours.

Simply put, the KB is a weak design, i went through all the same questions and back and forth before i bought my Procharger.... its 100x better.

Like I said I've done this and it works. If you can feed the charger cold air it will make a big difference. I wouldn't be willing to give away a free kit if I didn't know so. I sale a lot of these kits for the factory charged vehicles, and I don't really expect to make much with the SN95 Cobras.

- Joe

scottg

it's good to be blown
Established Member
If I had a KB setup already, I'd be down but I don't. Someone please step up to the plate and see if it works. This would be a great addition I think.

encasedmetal

WHINO!
Established Member
Mark Olsen would be the man to try it since he tunes his own car it would be more revealing, plus he's a hell of a technical guy.

STAMPEDE3

SAULS BROTHER
Super Moderator
If you cool the inlet air to 40° or so you will feel a difference.

A big difference from 95° air in the summer.
Everyone knows the car runs stronger in the dead of winter, you will now have that year around.

mustangsvt281

Established Member
Like I said I've done this and it works. If you can feed the charger cold air it will make a big difference. I wouldn't be willing to give away a free kit if I didn't know so. I sale a lot of these kits for the factory charged vehicles, and I don't really expect to make much with the SN95 Cobras.

- Joe

ill try it......it wont be for another couple months but what the hell ill give it a try. sounds like a decent setup plus im not trying to run 15psi i just want to run 12psi or so and no get heat soaked all the time. When it is time for my kb upgrade i will shoot you a pm my friend and we will work things out i promise.

earico

It's 4:20 somewhere...
Established Member

- Joe

One of you needs to jump on this ASAP! He's offering a $500+ part for free.

It will be like driving your car in the crisp winter air. Joe's kits are well known and work. Sure it's not cooling it post blower but it will still have the same positive effects pre blower.

goat-ee

Established Member
If you can get Mark Olsen to test, he would be the best in my opinion. If he is not interested I would like be considered for this kit. I'm no Mark, but I could do right by the kit as far as installation and testing goes.

Mods are in sig. The 97 Pacific Green Cobra, not the 96 black vert.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread