Kenne Bell 2.6 or Wipple 140ax?

T-Bolt

Official 'ring tow rig...
Established Member
Only thing I don't like about the KB is the oil changing situation. How do you get the oil out?

04blackSVT

Established Member
Screamin Cobra said:
You will not regret the whipple, it definately is a high quality blower :rockon:
Mad props for both, KB's and Whipples are sick either way.
KB:beer:Whipple

+1, I don't regret my whipple.

Buds03Cobra

Established Member
Were is the best place to order the KB from. I just picked up an 03 with 22,000 mile. It has a slp cold air and loud mouth cat back. The rest is stock I have $5,000 to spend. I want 600 to 630 rwh and want it to hold up. Head me down the righ road guys.

I have had many built fox cars. The last one ran in the mid 11,s
This 03 is all new to me and I want to do it right.

That gos the same for were to get a wippel and what to add to make it all work corectly.

Last edited:

EVILNSS

EVILNSS
Established Member
im in the same situation trying to decided.... but recently i just say a 2.8L kb put down 688 to the wheels on 27lbs of boost... WHY? u could run a whipple at 17or 20lbs and have 650.....i don't know im still stuck...

JoyRydn 03

Established Member
Alb Cobra said:
I have heard good things about both of them from a friend of mine. He has a 02 Lightning and has ran both. He has also had problems with both. He had the KB first and had to have it rebulit by KB (out of pocket money), then swichted to the Whipple. He also had some problems and had to have it replaced (free of charge). He said the reason he stuck with the Whipple is because their customer service is second to none. With that being said he helped me make up my mind when I upgrade. Don't know if this helps but customer service means a lot IMO.

AMEN! This just helped me to make up my mind. It seams the debate is not about the performance since they're both very very close and being that every car is different and so are the tunes you will see a combination of different performance across the board. At the end of the day 80% of the people installing the Big KB or Whipple's run on the street with a Stock motor futher pushing limits that I personally care not too approach. If I could use "HISSMAN" as an example of what I'm after. His set up runs a Whipple 2.3 @ a safe 15.8 PSI and makes 587 to the tire. That's plenty for me. Seems like the biggest concern is SOUND!! KB's do sound better! But what do you do! Can't have cake and eat it too.

And I heard the Whipple Customer Service team is awesome! And thats the icing on the cake. I don't want someone telling me my $3500 blower is garbage because I overfilled it with the suppiled oil!!!! $1300 please for a rebuild!

FSTMRFR

FaST MotheR Fuc keR
Established Member
call KB direct, talk to James@KB, good guy!!! I am in same boat you are...I am a SERIOUS fox guy with a new toy (04 cobra) and really did not know anything about them...still dont know alot...but, I went KB and am EXTREMELY happy with the 2.6!!!

Buds03Cobra said:
Were is the best place to order the KB from. I just picked up an 03 with 22,000 mile. It has a slp cold air and loud mouth cat back. The rest is stock I have $5,000 to spend. I want 600 to 630 rwh and want it to hold up. Head me down the righ road guys.

I have had many built fox cars. The last one ran in the mid 11,s
This 03 is all new to me and I want to do it right.

That gos the same for were to get a wippel and what to add to make it all work corectly.

roach4047

Established Member
Many ford trucks are running 10 sec quarter miles with these mod motors installed correctly all inluded with extra road manners and improved handling skills for daily driving events!!! They're more expensive to mod it seems but they're fun.:beer:

Last edited:

kirks5oh

kirks5oh
Established Member
wow. i've read every one of these KB vs. whipple threads and they seem to go back and forth EVERY time. i'm looking for close to 600rwhp on a safe tune with the stock shortblock. i was convinced to go with the whipple before the 2.6/2.8's came out. now, i'm leaning towards KB. it sounds like as more info comes out on this blower, people are getting great results. and i can't stand the fact that the whipple doesn't scream.

great thread guys.

Whipple Charged

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
jlauth said:
I love whipple and have always wanted to have one on my future terminator. I have heard that you dont want to spray a whipple car, because should a backfire occur it is going to distroy the blower because of the composite hosing. I belive that this 2.8 KB that is out is a bad ass blower and cant wait to see what type of power can be made with one.

There absolutely no truth to the fact that you can't run spray through the Whipple. The housing is cast aluminum and is as strong as the KB 2.6 and 2.8 housings. The ribs from side to side are far stronger than ribs front to back. Our 980 race blower was cast magnesium and some ran over 600 1/4 mile passes at boost levels exceeding 60psi and typically 50% of the fuel going through the SC. That is severe pressure, but the casting never fatigued. These motors back fired all the time, since they revved past 11,000rpm, they commonly broke valves, etc and the psi would exceed 100psi!

In some areas, where you cannot add reinforcement, then a billet piece would be stronger, but you can easily design a cast aluminum piece such as the rotor housing to have similar strengths to that of an extruded piece. KB's and Autorotors are not machined from one piece of billet material, they are extruded housings that are machined after the extrusion. I know, our main engineer designed and patented the concept, which then sold it to Opcon.

Each has it's own place, but the notion that the cast housing can't take certain pressures or nitrous or something like that is completly false. I hope this clears up any misunderstanding.

Thank you,
Dustin Whipple

FSTMRFR

FaST MotheR Fuc keR
Established Member
well either way, its deffinately a helpful write up...

Whipple Charged said:
There absolutely no truth to the fact that you can't run spray through the Whipple. The housing is cast aluminum and is as strong as the KB 2.6 and 2.8 housings. The ribs from side to side are far stronger than ribs front to back. Our 980 race blower was cast magnesium and some ran over 600 1/4 mile passes at boost levels exceeding 60psi and typically 50% of the fuel going through the SC. That is severe pressure, but the casting never fatigued. These motors back fired all the time, since they revved past 11,000rpm, they commonly broke valves, etc and the psi would exceed 100psi!

In some areas, where you cannot add reinforcement, then a billet piece would be stronger, but you can easily design a cast aluminum piece such as the rotor housing to have similar strengths to that of an extruded piece. KB's and Autorotors are not machined from one piece of billet material, they are extruded housings that are machined after the extrusion. I know, our main engineer designed and patented the concept, which then sold it to Opcon.

Each has it's own place, but the notion that the cast housing can't take certain pressures or nitrous or something like that is completly false. I hope this clears up any misunderstanding.

Thank you,
Dustin Whipple

Potentsnake04

AF gunner/cobra pilot
Established Member
VERTIBLEMENACE said:
i am trying to save up like a mofo for a kb!

Same Here, Im just going to save the money I make from my next deployment for a bigger blower.... Hopefully the 2.8 will still be considered one of the latest blowers when I return....

TEABG

Banned
If you spray the Whipple OR Kenne Bell you will strip the Teflon coating on the rotors FYI

FSTMRFR

FaST MotheR Fuc keR
Established Member
TEABG said:
Check out this thread, is it just me that the Kenne Bell 2.6 is not all that. 20 PSI HAHAHH

seems like 600 ponies to the ground is alot to me...6000ft elevation, wow, I am surprised that he made it over the 600rwhp....but I think its bitchen!!!

TEABG

Banned
FSTMRFR said:
seems like 600 ponies to the ground is alot to me...6000ft elevation, wow, I am surprised that he made it over the 600rwhp....but I think its bitchen!!!

20 PSI 600 RWHP with a Kenne Bell 2.6, you can do that with a 2.3 Whipple.

Venomous01

Building Boost
Established Member
TEABG said:
20 PSI 600 RWHP with a Kenne Bell 2.6, you can do that with a 2.3 Whipple.
We'll see... I might do 600 to the wheels on my new setup with the Whipple @ 17psi... I will keep you posted.

Users who are viewing this thread