Kenne Bell 2.6 or Wipple 140ax?

WDW MKR

Established Member
03InThe11s said:
and at what power level does the KB 2.6/2.8 overtake the smaller displacement blowers? boost is kind of useless, as one blower might effeciently make 17lbs on a small displacement motor, with stock heads, cams and everything, but might only be able to make 10 effecient lbs of boost on a larger displacement, better flowing motor.

It's not so much the power level, as that can be dependant on a lot of things, but rather the CFM going through the blower. The larger blowers seem to take over at the pulley ratio and associated CFM that produces 17-18 psig on your average stock-engine Cobra with stock manifolds.

I agree that the difference isn't always something to write home about. The biggest selling points to me include lower IAT2, same boost with a larger upper pulley (belt traction), and the numerous reports of these larger blowers have much better top-end pull.

Last edited:

kirks5oh

kirks5oh
Established Member
these threads are killing me. everyone goes back and forth, back and forth.
i'm looking for 550-600rwhp on the stock motor, at 17psi at the very most. i've been leaning towards the whipple, and then the KB 2.6, now i'm not sure anymore. the only reason (and i know its dumb) i'm leaning away from the whipple, is that i love the scream of the blower. that being said, i've heard the KB 2.6 is not as loud as the 2.2 was???

help!!

FSTMRFR

FaST MotheR Fuc keR
Established Member
well, you are gonna have to choose your way....I had to do the same thing...I went KB 2.6.....and am very happy....but ultimately no one can make your decision for you....you have heard all the pros and cons of each blower....now it is time to choose....

03InThe11s

i meant 10s :)
Established Member
kirks5oh said:
that being said, i've heard the KB 2.6 is not as loud as the 2.2 was???

well, i heard one earlier tonight, guy just pulled his 2.2 in favor of a 2.6 (that is what i like to call "having too much money") and they sounded identical to me. all though, his 2.2 was never that loud at idle, but at full throttle :rockon:

FSTMRFR

FaST MotheR Fuc keR
Established Member
I think that my pully'd eaton was louder than my 2.6 KB... speaking of being louder....I want to put a cog drive on my KB...so it will be louder...anyone know of a kit that will work on the KB?

Blue_Oval

Established Member
the newer KB's aren't teflon coated right? its a different kind of coating that doesn't get stripped by spraying fuel and nitrous through the blower. the rotors don't touch anything, so a frictionless coating like teflon is not needed.

if i'm wrong, please correct me

fast black gt

FSTMRFR said:
I think that my pully'd eaton was louder than my 2.6 KB... speaking of being louder....I want to put a cog drive on my KB...so it will be louder...anyone know of a kit that will work on the KB?

The cog Drive on a kb i have heard will screw it up.

03InThe11s

Established Member
Blue_Oval said:
the newer KB's aren't teflon coated right? its a different kind of coating that doesn't get stripped by spraying fuel and nitrous through the blower. the rotors don't touch anything, so a frictionless coating like teflon is not needed.

if i'm wrong, please correct me

well, i know some are coated, and some are not. and when i hear a reputable, and knowlageable person say that spraying fuel through a twin screw blower will hurt it, then i'll believe it. untill then, i will turn a deaf ear on all the know-it-alls that claim all the bs about it stripping the rotors. same guys usualy talk about things they know nothing about, which leads me to believe, they know very little about much of anything.

IamMike

exUSAFmike
Established Member
I'd like to hear more from Whipple owners on the sound factor. I've been reading and reading and doing more reading on the different SC's out there, and have settled into a twin screw as the logical choice, at least for me. From what I gather reading different things about the KB and WP looking at dyno's the power and boost from them won't be noticeable. Esp for someone running a stock engine looking for more power w/o having to do up the internals ect. Even then it would seem as someone mentioned, according to dyno sheets I've seen, it's gonna take quite a bit to tilt anything in WP's direction, and w/ the new "H" from KB that may be a moot point.

Whipple is coming in more expensive of the 2, but from what I read you get better customer service plus less hassle w/ oil issues. KB's website is much better and more informative as far as numbers and dyno sheets. Crappy support in finding authorized installers.

Whipple's website is pretty sucky. Of course as I type this I was trying to get on their site and its not loading.....

neither is cheap, but both seem to be the superior blower to Paxton's and other diff types of blowers.

I'm really interested in how much different whipple's sound. I wish I could listen to a comparision. I can't get on whipple's site yet, but IIRC don't they offer a longer warranty than the 1 yr from KB? that is def food for thought as well.

Venomous01

Building Boost
Established Member
If we are talking stock engine the highest I would go is 2.3L Whipple and 2.4L/2.6L KB. The only reason I would go 2.6L KB is b/c of the lower IATs. The dyno sheets are compariable for all 3, but IATs vary slightly.

Right now I am looking at dropping a Ford GT built 5.4L motor in my car with the other option being a VT stroked and bored 302 5.0L built shortblock and if I do so I would probably go with the 2.8L KB and aim for 700rwhp on pump and 900rwhp on race gas. The 2.8L will shine on a fully built motor...

Last edited:

redline

Established Member
i have a very good question . i have comp cams . with all supporting mods. and i feel that the car has less power . the question would be go with a kb or whipple ? or just take the cams out and do a kb or whipple. the cams are stage 3.

03InThe11s

Established Member
redline said:
i have a very good question . i have comp cams . with all supporting mods. and i feel that the car has less power . the question would be go with a kb or whipple ? or just take the cams out and do a kb or whipple. the cams are stage 3.

umm, i would leave the cams alone. they make power, as the stockers are pretty mild. if they are infact not making power, that means either your tune is off, or something else is wrong. keep the cams, make sure they are degreed properly, do a compression test, and then toss on a twin screw. unless, of course, you want to give them to me, and in that case, i'll take em :beer: :banana:

redline

Established Member
well i had 2 different tuners look at my car . my opinion is that the car needs a bigger blower . reason and i might be wrong ,but the cams stay open longer which in turn drops boost . at first i thought just get bigger motor like stroker. but i think that wouldnt solve the problem .all i know it is a costly experience.but if i do decide to take the cams out . they will be for sale .

03InThe11s

Established Member
well, your blower producing less boost now is actualy a good thing. boost only shows restriction, backpressure, if you'd like. reducing boost while maintaining your blower speed is making your engine more effecient. now, a bigger blower will be able to take advantage of the cams, and their increased flow, and therefor make more power. alot more power. plus a camed 4 valve sounds so awsome!

have you had it dyno'ed since the cams? did it make more power on the dyno? the reason it could feel down on power is because larger cams usualy make power higher in the rpm range. you could have lost some of the tq down low, and therefor it feels weak. but up top you should feel the additional ponies.

Users who are viewing this thread