Just ordered 2.9 Whipple!! 1st owner!!

Alb Cobra

Established Member
What does the small vacume line that also ran to the JLT intake tube go to? It looks like it runs around the back of the blower to ???.

Pretty sure it is to the boost bypass actuator, if we are talking about the same thing. It goes to the intake tube or you can leave it open to the atmosphere. I have ran it both ways.

04sleeper

Runs On "Liquid Gold"
Super Moderator
Is there any data out there that would show what kind of CFM a KB or Whipple twin screw is moving at a given PSI? The reason I ask is based off of my recent project which involved removing my JLT CAI, making the intake length as short as possible, and replacing the previous restrictive filter with one that meets the CFM requirements of my motor. I have a strong foundation with forced induction in general, but my expertise is with turbos, not blowers; specifically postivie displacement blowers found on our Cobras. My new set up is basically the JLT rubber boot from the single blade TB, my BA2400 MAF, and the 14" K&N mounted onto the billet end of the MAF. There was just enough room to squeeze all of that in so that filter fit in there with NO modifications to any sheet metal. I also removed the P/S valve cover hose and replaced that with a K&N breather.
You have just created a vacuum leak. By doing this, you are letting unmetered air into the intake and there is no way for the engine to add extra fuel because it doesn't know it is getting it. This will cause your car to run lean and possibly damage the engine depending on your current tune.

You would have to run a breather on both valve covers, or better yet a catch can, and get the car retuned for this to work properly.

What does the small vacume line that also ran to the JLT intake tube go to? It looks like it runs around the back of the blower to ???.
Follow it and find out. LOL. It's not that hard to trace.

Last edited:

turbov6joe

Defensor Fortis
Established Member
You have just created a vacuum leak. By doing this, you are letting unmetered air into the intake and there is no way for the engine to add extra fuel because it doesn't know it is getting it. This will cause your car to run lean and possibly damage the engine depending on your current tune.

You would have to run a breather on both valve covers, or better yet a catch can, and get the car retuned for this to work properly.

Follow it and find out. LOL. It's not that hard to trace.

A vacume leak how??? Those holes in the VC's are post MAF anyhow...they were never in the metered loop to begin with. Besides, the air going in or out of the valve covers doesn't need to be metered, it's for overpressure. I'm not sure what your talking about with that response:shrug: I do have breathers in both sides, but am not sure what that has to do with anything. Please explain further. I inquired about the small line so I could either plug the line or plumb it into somewhere else if it's truely needed...or if it's some more emissions crap like the other larger hoses into the VC's.

turbov6joe

Defensor Fortis
Established Member
Pretty sure it is to the boost bypass actuator, if we are talking about the same thing. It goes to the intake tube or you can leave it open to the atmosphere. I have ran it both ways.

Ok, I'll have to trace it somemore to confirm. I doubt it's to the bypass...it was never hooked to a true vacume/boost source to begin with. On the JLT intake tube there is a small barb that it hooked to. I think it's for emissions, but I have to confirm this yet.

baginoman

Mind over Matter
Established Member
I still cant believe not one 2.9l owner has posted anything, including a vid.:nonono:

D3 Racing

Freak Show
Established Member
Is this possible the first one:

[nomedia="http://wwwmyoutube.com/watch?v=WOebjiyn-aI"]wwwmyoutube.com[/nomedia]

Hope the link works posting from my phone since govt computers won't let me on SVTP and had to retype the address by hand, it was just uploaded about 13 hrs ago, maybe someone knows more about the car made 727/633 at 19 psi

D3 Racing

Freak Show
Established Member
Is this possibly the first one:

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WOebjiyn-aI"]YouTube - Jr's RET Tuned 2.9 Whipple[/nomedia]

Hope the link works posting from my phone since govt computers won't let me on SVTP and had to retype the address by hand, it was just uploaded about 13 hrs ago, maybe someone knows more about the car made 727/633 at 19 psi

Last edited:

MalcolmV8

Established Member
Is this possibly the first one:

YouTube - Jr's RET Tuned 2.9 Whipple

Looks awesome but details are few. Says built motor with cams. Wonder if that's on pump gas? Wonder how much lower HP will be on stock heads/cams.

D3 Racing

Freak Show
Established Member
Now we just need someone with a "stock" motor to try this out. 19# doesn't help out either, would like a 93 octane tune that makes over 600 easily, don't want to worry about where I go and if I have a can of Torco with me.

MalcolmV8

Established Member
Now we just need someone with a "stock" motor to try this out. 19# doesn't help out either, would like a 93 octane tune that makes over 600 easily, don't want to worry about where I go and if I have a can of Torco with me.

Same here except we only have 91 in Kansas City.

mach1033

Established Member
Spoke with a rep at whipple today and they only make a 3.5 pulley for this blower which will net 18 to 19lbs of boost. Reichard makes a 4 inch but then there might be a hood clearance issue. I'm ordering the 2.9 on monday along with the 4 inch pulley and I will see if it clears my hood. Also my motor is all stock. I have all the supporting mods needed for the upgrade so we will see what she makes. I will post a new thread when I get all this done.

Blk4V00GT

Established Member
Spoke with a rep at whipple today and they only make a 3.5 pulley for this blower which will net 18 to 19lbs of boost. Reichard makes a 4 inch but then there might be a hood clearance issue. I'm ordering the 2.9 on monday along with the 4 inch pulley and I will see if it clears my hood. Also my motor is all stock. I have all the supporting mods needed for the upgrade so we will see what she makes. I will post a new thread when I get all this done.

Why such a large upper? You already have a different lower?

And how much boost you planning to run?

Users who are viewing this thread