I've lost over 40 lbs since winter.

Red Turtle

ALWAYS WATCHING
Super Moderator
The shoulders are worked in a variety of exercises- thus there is no need to have a single day solely based on them. When you bench, curl, etc the shoulders are involved in the movement. I tell you this to avoid overtraining, which would happen when you repeatedly exercise your muscles before they have fully recovered.

Splitting the routine this way allows you more regular training, as the day after training your pushing muscles are still recovering, you can utilise and train the pulling muscles.

I would suggest doing a push/pull type of split in terms of how you work muscle groups.. i.e:

Work Back w biceps
Legs
Chest w triceps/shoulders

Working your chest directly after having shot your arms w a tricep workout the day before is unessesary and just wasting time to put it mildly. You would see significantly more gains if you group the proper muscle together rather than continuously training a "spent" muscle group.

His shoulders will be fine, as he does legs the next day giving his shoulders 48hrs rest. I disagree that you do not need to dedicate a full workout to shoulders. The shoulder is very complex and needs a variety of excersises to develop fully. Press, front raises, side raises, rear's and shrugs are classic shoulder routines.

OP, you have made great progress and now that you are enjoying working out, change it up. It is great that you watch your calorie content and limit to 2000, however you stated that may be comprised of anything as you only watch the total caloric intake for the day. If your diet could be changed to include a better mix of choice foods, you will drastically change again over the next 4-6mo's. Remember, now that you have lost the fatty your goals are changing. If your workouts are intense, on Tues and Thurs you are most likely burning well over 1000 calories during your 2hrs. Your body is most likely storing food rather than burning on these days due to the intesity of the workout, or even worse canabizing on muscle to feed itself. Now that you understand the benefits and enjoy working out, don't fear the calories (so long as we aren't talking about Fries, shakes, and chicken wings). Your metabolism and workout intensity will burn them off so long as you don't go on a binge.

ririck

Schrute Farms Beets
Established Member
His shoulders will be fine, as he does legs the next day giving his shoulders 48hrs rest. I disagree that you do not need to dedicate a full workout to shoulders. The shoulder is very complex and needs a variety of excersises to develop fully. Press, front raises, side raises, rear's and shrugs are classic shoulder routines.

OP, you have made great progress and now that you are enjoying working out, change it up. It is great that you watch your calorie content and limit to 2000, however you stated that may be comprised of anything as you only watch the total caloric intake for the day. If your diet could be changed to include a better mix of choice foods, you will drastically change again over the next 4-6mo's. Remember, now that you have lost the fatty your goals are changing. If your workouts are intense, on Tues and Thurs you are most likely burning well over 1000 calories during your 2hrs. Your body is most likely storing food rather than burning on these days due to the intesity of the workout, or even worse canabizing on muscle to feed itself. Now that you understand the benefits and enjoy working out, don't fear the calories (so long as we aren't talking about Fries, shakes, and chicken wings). Your metabolism and workout intensity will burn them off so long as you don't go on a binge.

That's what I was thinking, because shoulders are a huge muscle group, and the shoulder muscle that gets worked out pretty constantly is the anterior deltoid, but i completely agree about not overtraining certain muscles, etc.

He made a good point about training with a good split, and alternating pushing/pulling exercises though

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
drink a gallon of cold water a day regardless ...it speeds up ur metabolism good for ur skin ..keeps those kidneys flushed

its amazing how much better you feel when you drink just water vs all soda/monster/etc.

ive cut out all energy drinks from my diet. I still have a soda with lunch (a can of coke just goes well with a sammich and chips).

ririck

Schrute Farms Beets
Established Member
its amazing how much better you feel when you drink just water vs all soda/monster/etc.

ive cut out all energy drinks from my diet. I still have a soda with lunch (a can of coke just goes well with a sammich and chips).

Yeah, i agree.

I'll drink a diet Mt. Dew on OCCASION, But it's usually water.

I used to drink a ton of monster Mixx'd and Assault, but I realized that's pretty unhealthy and ridiculous, especially since I already make my own supplement stack, and didnt need all the crap that's in monster going through my kidneys too

ririck

Schrute Farms Beets
Established Member
*playing the worlds smallest violin*

Good info in this thread, this has actually started me to workout again lol.

Any thought to p90x?

I like it for a cardio based workout, but it's never really going to be a good " strength" training workout. However, I really like the ab ripper x, it's fun.

Sniperdog

Less than Premium Member
Established Member
I weighed @ 194 and started running, 4-6 miles, 4-5 times a week,., more often @4.5miles., but have done 9 a few times. I now weight 168 :-D and plan to keep it up, I have never had a six pack, but would like to get close :shrug:

Stephen4036

Established Member
your gf is pretty cute.. im sure she likes the progress too.. and if she doesnt send her my way :)

black92

Hot rod Lincoln
Established Member
*playing the worlds smallest violin*

Good info in this thread, this has actually started me to workout again lol.

Any thought to p90x?

Another workout would be Insanity. I've done two weeks of it and then hurt my wrist on the job, getting ready to start it back up.

I'm 5'10" and weighed 160lbs in highschool. Went to college, stopped working out and kept eating like no tomorrow. Finally hit 210 two years ago(I'm now 26) and decided enoughs enough. Bought a used Bowflex, did the South Beach diet and got down to 185 were I've been ever since. I'm getting into road biking(did RAGBRAI this year, 3rd time) and starting the insanity workout. I'm wanting to do a small triathalon next year(sprint) and just get into shape. My problem is I hurt my knee my Sophmore year in HS and running doesn't go well with me, so I keep it short.

Congrats and keep it up!

AssassinoGrigio

Established Member
well

That's what I was thinking, because shoulders are a huge muscle group, and the shoulder muscle that gets worked out pretty constantly is the anterior deltoid, but i completely agree about not overtraining certain muscles, etc.

He made a good point about training with a good split, and alternating pushing/pulling exercises though

To each his own, so I say whatever you're comfortable with and works for you is great. I just don't personally agree w isolating the shoulder to one specific day when one day later the shoulders get worked again in that workout. To the poster who disagreed, its 24hrs rest, not 48. I certainly would never blast my shoulders only to work them out again 1 day later in a bicep/tricep workout as the shoulders are inevitably involved in any arm movement. It can be isolated just the same on a chest/tri day; or just simply space the workouts differently so theres not so much overlap between the same muscle(shoulders). You've done a great job so far, and I agree w not worrying about your diet too much to a certain degree. But if you could include just eating complex carbs rather than simple... you'd see another jolt of progress. I like how you're going about this, Rome wasnt built in a day- and training/eating the way you are is going to benefit you in the long run by not having any of those cravings that someone who was depriving themselves would get. Which would ultimately sabotage their diet.

Keep it up! One last suggestion is that if you really want to lose weight quickly while building leaner muscle- try lightening the weights to where you can do your normal workouts w seconds to NO rest in between sets. Essentially turning your session into double-duty w the cardio benefit. Its really fun as a change up for a month or two. This is where you can implement the push/pull method. Say benching then all of sudden doing a set of bone crunching bicep curls, etc. Bottom line is it burns you out quicker and optimizes time.

Last edited:

treynor

Confirmed Power Junkie
Established Member
Premium Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
Very nicely done - you'll thank yourself later in life for the good choices you're making now. Keep it up!

jordan0806

E85 and Psi
Established Member
Good stuff dude...keep at it...I myself have lost over 70 lbs since October of last year but have gone a slightly different direction...I'm 238 pounds and when I started I was 312.

My diet is crazy as well as my work outs. I want to drop to around 215 because I want to stay big but have some rip as well.

I admire your work ethic going into your workout.

I am currently at this level...

Last edited:

Red Turtle

ALWAYS WATCHING
Super Moderator
To each his own, so I say whatever you're comfortable with and works for you is great. I just don't personally agree w isolating the shoulder to one specific day when one day later the shoulders get worked again in that workout. To the poster who disagreed, its 24hrs rest, not 48. I certainly would never blast my shoulders only to work them out again 1 day later in a bicep/tricep workout as the shoulders are inevitably involved in any arm movement. It can be isolated just the same on a chest/tri day; or just simply space the workouts differently so theres not so much overlap between the same muscle(shoulders). You've done a great job so far, and I agree w not worrying about your diet too much to a certain degree. But if you could include just eating complex carbs rather than simple... you'd see another jolt of progress. I like how you're going about this, Rome wasnt built in a day- and training/eating the way you are is going to benefit you in the long run by not having any of those cravings that someone who was depriving themselves would get. Which would ultimately sabotage their diet.

Keep it up! One last suggestion is that if you really want to lose weight quickly while building leaner muscle- try lightening the weights to where you can do your normal workouts w seconds to NO rest in between sets. Essentially turning your session into double-duty w the cardio benefit. Its really fun as a change up for a month or two. This is where you can implement the push/pull method. Say benching then all of sudden doing a set of bone crunching bicep curls, etc. Bottom line is it burns you out quicker and optimizes time.

It was me who disagreed with you, and he is working shoulders out on Monday's, legs Tuesday's (which should not be utilizing shoulders) and back to upperbody on Wed. He has plenty of recovery for his shoulders. It is best to let the muscle recover 48rs before working out heavily again.

If your shoulders are sore or hurt after a tri/bi workout, then you are doing something wrong.

Last edited:

AssassinoGrigio

Established Member
lol

It was me who disagreed with you, and he is working shoulders out on Monday's, legs Tuesday's (which should not be utilizing shoulders) and back to upperbody on Wed. He has plenty of recovery for his shoulders. It is best to let the muscle recover 48rs before working out heavily again.

If your shoulders are sore or hurt after a tri/bi workout, then you are doing something wrong.

On Wed he says he does Bi's, tri's, not back to upper body; the shoulders ARE worked(especially anterior) in many arm movements re: biceps/triceps. Thats 24 hours of down time between. It's not at all about whether your shoulders are sore after a tri/bi workout- simply put it is the fact that one is training a muscle that has 24 hrs of downtime. If someone dedicates one full day to the shoulders- clearly they(shoulders) are going to be spent for at LEAST 2 days or 48 hours. If you ARENT sore still after only 24 hrs of rest you're not doing it right. Bottom line here is drawing the line on overtraining- the goal is to optimize our gains. Training the shoulders on such short rest is just a waste of time. I'll put it to you this way, person A lifts on the aformentioned split(straining the muscle on a consistent basis; 24 hrs or less). Person B lifts on a split consisting of blasting fully rested muscle fibers... now who do you think will see the most gains? Person B, all day, every day. Form and proper exhaustion of the muscle fibers takes the cake over inproper methods. Such as overtraining a muscle group. Conclusively its not whether the shoulders are sore after bi's/tri's its the fact that the shoulders ARE involved in the motions performed... overtraining = hindering gains. More likely than not, your anterior delts will get enough work and isolating them will not be necessary as well.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread