I've lost over 40 lbs since winter.

mustang_00

Established Member
congrats on the weight loss, that's really impressive!!

how'd you tag a chick like that as a former chubby dude? awesome personality? i don't mean it in a dick kinda way. just curious!

mustang_00

Established Member
try this:
Monday-Chest and Biceps
Tuesday-Legs
Wednesday-Off
Thursday-Shoulders and Triceps
Friday-Back
Saturday-Off
Sunday-Repeat cycle

Plenty of time to fully recover for each body part. This is what I do. You can do your cardio AFTER each workout. I would use Wednesday as a full day off. dont do anything.

i'd never do cardio after each workout. i save it for my days off. but, that's personal preference. not knocking your advice. i've heard your routine way back in the meso days, and i'm curious to know what you look like from it. do you have pix up??

WillyBob98

First On Race Day
Established Member
Awesome man!! That Jack3d is good stuff, but as you probably already know you need to be carefull with that stuff. Go on and off of it so your body does not build a dangerously high tolerence (sp?) for it. Good work!

faststang87

Smoke Em!
Established Member
Awesome job man, I am looking to lose weight for the Army. I can not figure out a good way to do it, but I am seeing some good ways on here. I have actually lost some weight and I keep going! :rockon:

ririck

Schrute Farms Beets
Established Member
congrats on the weight loss, that's really impressive!!

how'd you tag a chick like that as a former chubby dude? awesome personality? i don't mean it in a dick kinda way. just curious!

haha, you know how you always hear about girls loving to laugh? Well if you're fat, but you're not the typical kind of fat guy who just makes a fool of himself to make girls laugh, then that logic still applies, ha.

by "repeat cycle" I assume you mean taking Sunday off too, maybe im wrong. :shrug:

I thought he meant mix it up w/ an exercise from each group on that day, but you're probably right, which makes more sense

Awesome man!! That Jack3d is good stuff, but as you probably already know you need to be carefull with that stuff. Go on and off of it so your body does not build a dangerously high tolerence (sp?) for it. Good work!

Yeah i've heard about that, I'm on my off cycle right now. 3 wks on, 1 wk off.

Red Turtle

ALWAYS WATCHING
Super Moderator
Awesome job man, I am looking to lose weight for the Army. I can not figure out a good way to do it, but I am seeing some good ways on here. I have actually lost some weight and I keep going! :rockon:

Push Away's (from the table) are the best!! Reduce the daily calorie intake and the weight will come off. Avg. guy not doing any sort of excercise most likely burns 1500-2000 calories, so if you eat less then you will lose, eat about that you will stay the same, an if you eat more well then you will gain. Now add excercise to that it obviously it speeds it up.

It is not easy as most people have a satisfaction of eating certain foods and can't give them up. I try to eat clean during the week, train 4 days and then feel comfortable having my Beers on the weekend.

Logan2003Cobra

Established Member
Avg. guy not doing any sort of excercise most likely burns 1500-2000 calories, so if you eat less then you will lose, eat about that you will stay the same, an if you eat more well then you will gain. Now add excercise to that it obviously it speeds it up.

It is not easy as most people have a satisfaction of eating certain foods and can't give them up. I try to eat clean during the week, train 4 days and then feel comfortable having my Beers on the weekend.

+1

I've always gone to the gym (30-45 minutes of weights 3-5 days a week) but I added 45+ minutes of cardio before/after lifting and now work out 6 days a week; I've lost 29 lbs. over the last two months and have seen a slight increase in overall strength.

The real key though is my diet... I keep my calories under 1500/day, 7 days a week, and if I want to eat pizza, a burger, etc. I end up having to eat very good for the rest of that day.

I eat yogurt for breakfast, a nutrition/protein bar or shake mid morning, chicken or tuna & vegetables for lunch, another nutrition/protein bar or shake mid afternoon, and chicken or tuna & vegetables again for dinner. Once I'm close to my target weight/body fat % I will slowly add more calories to breakfast & lunch until I find the right balance.

Keep it up. :beer:

AssassinoGrigio

Established Member
hmm

This is what I go off of, but to each their own...

Full-body training, provided that the intensity is high and the routine is good, can produce some amazing results, but splitting lets you get more from less: more results from a shorter period of time spent in the gym. If you had to train all your body parts in one routine, it might take a full two hours. There's an advantage to keeping your daily routine short: higher intensity, better focus, more energy and strength, and a reduced likelihood of "overtraining." Plus, spending only 45-60 minutes a day gives you more time for other things. The following are a couple of basic tips to keep in mind when you're converting your old routine into a new one.

1.Definitely do cardio after weight training. By doing the weights first, you deplete your body of glycogen. Once depleted, your body can burn fat efficiently.

2.Work big to small. Your body's largest muscles include your legs, back and chest. When it comes to splitting, these body parts should be trained before you hit your smaller body parts such as your shoulders, biceps, and triceps. These smaller muscles function as support muscles for your basic lifts such as the bench press, squat, military press and so on. Tire these muscles out and you won't be able to grow your pecs, quads or lats effectively. For example, if you're working your back and your biceps, be sure to do your rows before your curls.

3. Get plenty of rest. Rest is just as important as training. Don't make the mistake of thinking that you're going to maximize muscle growth by training for two hours every day on 6 hours of sleep.

4. Keep intensity levels high. Regardless of your goal, you need to keep your intensity level as high as it can be. The whole point of training is to tear your muscles down, thus allowing for it to grow back larger and stronger. If you're training for maximum power, keep your rep schemes lower (no more than 6-8 reps per set). If you're trying to achieve superior shape, then higher reps is recommended. Regardless, keep your intensity high.

Last edited:

Red Turtle

ALWAYS WATCHING
Super Moderator
This is what I go off of, but to each their own...

Full-body training, provided that the intensity is high and the routine is good, can produce some amazing results, but splitting lets you get more from less: more results from a shorter period of time spent in the gym. If you had to train all your body parts in one routine, it might take a full two hours. There's an advantage to keeping your daily routine short: higher intensity, better focus, more energy and strength, and a reduced likelihood of "overtraining." Plus, spending only 45-60 minutes a day gives you more time for other things. The following are a couple of basic tips to keep in mind when you're converting your old routine into a new one.

1.Definitely do cardio after weight training. By doing the weights first, you deplete your body of glycogen. Once depleted, your body can burn fat efficiently.

2.Work big to small. Your body's largest muscles include your legs, back and chest. When it comes to splitting, these body parts should be trained before you hit your smaller body parts such as your shoulders, biceps, and triceps. These smaller muscles function as support muscles for your basic lifts such as the bench press, squat, military press and so on. Tire these muscles out and you won't be able to grow your pecs, quads or lats effectively. For example, if you're working your back and your biceps, be sure to do your rows before your curls.

3. Get plenty of rest. Rest is just as important as training. Don't make the mistake of thinking that you're going to maximize muscle growth by training for two hours every day on 6 hours of sleep.

4. Keep intensity levels high. Regardless of your goal, you need to keep your intensity level as high as it can be. The whole point of training is to tear your muscles down, thus allowing for it to grow back larger and stronger. If you're training for maximum power, keep your rep schemes lower (no more than 6-8 reps per set). If you're trying to achieve superior shape, then higher reps is recommended. Regardless, keep your intensity high.

This is a good informative post!! :beer:

To many times I see people in the gym giving a half ass effort and months later they look the same. When I train, I try and train to failure but in a very short time period. Large and small body part in less than 40min's. You also have to try and set goals, for example if you benched 225 8 times two weeks ago, then try and get 9 or 10 next. Maybe 235 for 8 reps, but if you aren't pushing yourself, you aren't going to change/get stronger.

Second, training one thing but Diet and Rest are as important. People just don't understand that you are not going to change by eating a breakast burrito from McD's, a 12" subway for lunch, and whatever for dinner! Small meals and feed the body while also increasing the metabolism.

Red Turtle

ALWAYS WATCHING
Super Moderator
+1

I've always gone to the gym (30-45 minutes of weights 3-5 days a week) but I added 45+ minutes of cardio before/after lifting and now work out 6 days a week; I've lost 29 lbs. over the last two months and have seen a slight increase in overall strength.

The real key though is my diet... I keep my calories under 1500/day, 7 days a week, and if I want to eat pizza, a burger, etc. I end up having to eat very good for the rest of that day.

I eat yogurt for breakfast, a nutrition/protein bar or shake mid morning, chicken or tuna & vegetables for lunch, another nutrition/protein bar or shake mid afternoon, and chicken or tuna & vegetables again for dinner. Once I'm close to my target weight/body fat % I will slowly add more calories to breakfast & lunch until I find the right balance.

Keep it up. :beer:

Sounds like you are on your way, but you may be starving yourself. If you are working out for 45min and then doing 45min of cardio, then you have burned calories for about 75-80min (first 10-15 bring the core up to burning rate). Depending on your intensity, you may be burning 500-750 in your workout alone and leaving the 750-1000 for the remainder of the day as well as your natural burning ability. This is going to restrict muscle growth/strength, but if you ultimate goal is to lean out then you are on the right path. Only problem is when you get there, it is going to be tough to eat the amount of calories to put on good dense muscle and stay at your body fat %.

AssassinoGrigio

Established Member
This is a good informative post!! :beer:

To many times I see people in the gym giving a half ass effort and months later they look the same. When I train, I try and train to failure but in a very short time period. Large and small body part in less than 40min's. You also have to try and set goals, for example if you benched 225 8 times two weeks ago, then try and get 9 or 10 next. Maybe 235 for 8 reps, but if you aren't pushing yourself, you aren't going to change/get stronger.

Second, training one thing but Diet and Rest are as important. People just don't understand that you are not going to change by eating a breakast burrito from McD's, a 12" subway for lunch, and whatever for dinner! Small meals and feed the body while also increasing the metabolism.

+1 to you as well for a good post.

You are very, very correct in that if the constant(weight) stays the same then the results will stay the same. However I would also like to say not to put too much credence into numbers. If you aren't able to do 235 for 8 reps on a given day, don't do it! Its okay! We all have our "dog" days. Its ok just start fresh the next time you train. Pushing too far will only set us back.

Oh and you def. hit the nail on the head as far as nutrition. Not many people seem to understand that 75% of what you look like is WHAT YOU EAT! You can workout 10 hours a day, but if you're eating slob... guess what? You will look like it. I really can't emphasize enough how important nutrition is, the genetic freaks notwithstanding.

One thing that will help most who get cravings and end up breaking their "diets" as a result is because they starve all day only to binge at night. Eat Five times a day! 3 meals, two snacks. This doesnt mean eat MORE, it means eat the same amount throughout the day. Not only do you boost your metabolism this way, but you curb those god awful cravings that de-rail everything.

For example- (assumes that you get up at 8 am)

8 am. Protein Shake w reduced fat milk
Banana

10 am. 10 almonds
Apple

12 pm Chicken Breast(rule of thumb is your meat should be about the size of a deck of playing cards) Brown Rice, Vegetables of choice(broccoli, Cauliflower, Asparagus, etc).

2 pm Celery & Hummus or Peanut Butter(healthiest one you can find)

5 pm Tuna(remember the rule of thumb), vegetables, brown rice

8 pm reduced fat Cottage Cheese or protein shake w water not milk
* The rule is DO NOT eat 2-3 hours before bedtime(I go to sleep at 11, so last snack at 8 or 9).

Tips: If you get one of those "cravings" we ALL get then eat a healthy snack. Wait 20 minutes. You probably wont be hungry anymore.

You can substitute breakfest w:

LOW sugar cereal w blueberries and coffee(watch the sugar)
Smoothie, blend 1 cup frozen berries, 1/2 banana, and 8 ounces fat-free milk
and 1/2 English muffin spread with 1 teaspoon light margarine
2 Pieces of whole wheat or double fiber bread(TOASTED), Egg whites, tomato and healthiest slice of cheese you can find.
Non-Sugary Oatmeal w fresh fruits from the berry family (straw, black and blue) and kiwi
etc

You can substitute for snacks:
Pear w almonds
2 Kiwis
Yogurt w raw nuts
Nectarine w almonds
Mandarin w almonds
Baby Carrots
Ricecakes(HEALTHY NON SUGARY w topping of choice)
Cottage cheese w toasted bread(provided you didnt eat bread earlier or later)
Raw nuts
Cherry tomatoes
Bean Salad
etc

You can substitue for meals:
Turkey sandwhich w low fat cheese, NO MAYO. If you must as little of the light mayo as you can. Try to flavor your sandwhiches w salsas and spices. I.e Mustard, mango salsa, hot sauce, etc etc
Include lots of veggies to keep you full.
Baked lays(dont eat doritos or cheetos etc they have way more calories and stuff you dont want
or
flank steak w veggies brown rice
or
A wrap w a lean cut of meat and veggies
or
tuna salad w as little mayo as you can muster, tostadas
or
etc you get the idea, stay away from processed foods as best you can and you're golden

Lastly. DO cheat one day a week. But for only one meal and try to keep it within reason. I.E a Burger and soda, no fries.

Last edited:

F8Lbite98

back once again
Established Member
The shoulders are worked in a variety of exercises- thus there is no need to have a single day solely based on them. When you bench, curl, etc the shoulders are involved in the movement. I tell you this to avoid overtraining, which would happen when you repeatedly exercise your muscles before they have fully recovered.

Splitting the routine this way allows you more regular training, as the day after training your pushing muscles are still recovering, you can utilise and train the pulling muscles.

I would suggest doing a push/pull type of split in terms of how you work muscle groups.. i.e:

Work Back w biceps
Legs
Chest w triceps/shoulders

Working your chest directly after having shot your arms w a tricep workout the day before is unessesary and just wasting time to put it mildly. You would see significantly more gains if you group the proper muscle together rather than continuously training a "spent" muscle group.

I hate to say but this way does not work for everyone. I use to group up my body parts together for workout. It took longer in the gym and didn't see as much results because by the time I would start my second body I would already be too tired to lift heavy weight or do the weight I needed to do. If you know how to specifically work just the one muscle on that day, you won't have to worry about your other muscle being spent the next day. I also tried super-setting them but that just took too much time going back and forth from one piece of equipment to another and couldn't hold up the equipment at the gym because other people at the gym don't want to wait.

I do:
Chest on Monday.
Shoulders on Tuesday.
Back on Wednesday.
Arms on Thursday.
Legs on Friday.
Abs/Calves/hamstrings on Saturday.
and take off on Sunday.

I may not always be on this routine day-wise but I do my workouts in this order. I have definitely seen a huge difference. I went from 180lbs with about 13-15% body fat to 205lbs with about 9-10% body fat in about 5 months. I worked my butt off at the gym and ate about 4-5k calories a day.

The only supplements I take are:

Pre-workout NO shake.
Serious Mass Protein.
Casein Protein before bed.

A lot of people at my gym or people I haven't seen in a while thing I'm on steroids because of how much muscle and size I have gained in a short period. I have just gained the muscle and size but busting my ass at the gym.

Congrats to the OP for losing the weight and all the other stuff. Keep up the great work. Just keep thinking every time you're in the gym what your goal is and how good it feels to see progress and that will always keep you motivated.

Red Turtle

ALWAYS WATCHING
Super Moderator
I hate to say but this way does not work for everyone. I use to group up my body parts together for workout. It took longer in the gym and didn't see as much results because by the time I would start my second body I would already be too tired to lift heavy weight or do the weight I needed to do. If you know how to specifically work just the one muscle on that day, you won't have to worry about your other muscle being spent the next day. I also tried super-setting them but that just took too much time going back and forth from one piece of equipment to another and couldn't hold up the equipment at the gym because other people at the gym don't want to wait.

I do:
Chest on Monday.
Shoulders on Tuesday.
Back on Wednesday.
Arms on Thursday.
Legs on Friday.
Abs/Calves/hamstrings on Saturday.
and take off on Sunday.

I may not always be on this routine day-wise but I do my workouts in this order. I have definitely seen a huge difference. I went from 180lbs with about 13-15% body fat to 205lbs with about 9-10% body fat in about 5 months. I worked my butt off at the gym and ate about 4-5k calories a day.

The only supplements I take are:

Pre-workout NO shake.
Serious Mass Protein.
Casein Protein before bed.

A lot of people at my gym or people I haven't seen in a while thing I'm on steroids because of how much muscle and size I have gained in a short period. I have just gained the muscle and size but busting my ass at the gym.

Congrats to the OP for losing the weight and all the other stuff. Keep up the great work. Just keep thinking every time you're in the gym what your goal is and how good it feels to see progress and that will always keep you motivated.

Yeah, we are all different. I could never do shoulders the day after chest. Personally my shoulders are still tender on Wed but back is all really pull related excercises.

I do

Chest/Tri's
Legs/calves
Back/Bi's
Shoulder's/calves

mone

Established Member
keep it up man but trust me if u start slacking it will come back im an example lol i gota get beck on it

harvboi05

Established Member
KISS. only 7 compound exercises are needed to get your entire body into shape. with perfect form of course. vary your own schedule as need be according to your specific recovery time and diet, etc. youre not strong unless youre good at these exercises.

1) Squat
2) Bench
3) deadlift
4) Bent over rows
5) straight legged deadlift
6) dips
7) pull ups

Great job OP! getting stronger and making gains physically is probably one of the most gratifying experiences, period. keep it up.

Red Turtle

ALWAYS WATCHING
Super Moderator
LOL, conveniently last night my wife and I were speaking of bills and the food expense was talked about! We go through about 3-4 bags of chicken a week, steak or two, bag of shrimp.....and all of the other normals with a family of 4.

My avg day consists of:

1 full egg with 3 whites/Grits (dont ask, no value in grits but love em...) 7am
Banana and granola bar 9am
6oz breast with rice/potato 11:30am
6oz breast with rice/potato 3:00pm
Apple on the way to the gym at 4:30pm
2 breast of Chicken or NY strip (only 1-2 nights), Rice/potato, and 8oz of broccoli. 6:30pm
Sometimes a little popcorn at 9pm if still hungry (no value but again better than other crap)

One night a week, shrimp is sub'd for a dinner as well. 10 large on the grill..mmmm

Yes I know that there could be more veggies, and the meats are usually seasoned not bland, but as much as I am hungry it is better than Fast Food.

No soda or FF in the diet at all. Actually think my body would freak out internally with any type of meal from Mcd's or BK.

Drink about 8+ bottles of water a day.

This varies a little, not much. Total creature of habit and don't like change. I am by no means cut or uber lean, as I stated before that I enjoy my beers on weekend and glass of wine in the evening with the wife.

On the weekend, I don't go nuts with the food but am not scared to have something out of the norm.

As I sit here, I am dreading getting up due to the leg workout on Wed.

Last edited:

ririck

Schrute Farms Beets
Established Member
LOL, conveniently last night my wife and I were speaking of bills and the food expense was talked about! We go through about 3-4 bags of chicken a week, steak or two, bag of shrimp.....and all of the other normals with a family of 4.

My avg day consists of:

1 full egg with 3 whites/Grits (dont ask, no value in grits but love em...) 7am
Banana and granola bar 9am
6oz breast with rice/potato 11:30am
6oz breast with rice/potato 3:00pm
Apple on the way to the gym at 4:30pm
2 breast of Chicken or NY strip (only 1-2 nights), Rice/potato, and 8oz of broccoli. 6:30pm
Sometimes a little popcorn at 9pm if still hungry (no value but again better than other crap)

One night a week, shrimp is sub'd for a dinner as well. 10 large on the grill..mmmm

Yes I know that there could be more veggies, and the meats are usually seasoned not bland, but as much as I am hungry it is better than Fast Food.

No soda or FF in the diet at all. Actually think my body would freak out internally with any type of meal from Mcd's or BK.

Drink about 8+ bottles of water a day.

This varies a little, not much. Total creature of habit and don't like change. I am by no means cut or uber lean, as I stated before that I enjoy my beers on weekend and glass of wine in the evening with the wife.

On the weekend, I don't go nuts with the food but am not scared to have something out of the norm.

As I sit here, I am dreading getting up due to the leg workout on Wed.

Sounds like you eat like a king even if it's "healthy" ha

Users who are viewing this thread