Ironhand gauge pods not as good as I thought

supraman1990

Established Member
So as it turns out, the pods are terrible for winter usage. When I start out on my trip all is good but after about 15 minutes the heat blowing on whatever cheap plastic it appears he made them from expands them so much that the gauge just falls out with the least amount of effort. It is so bad that I will be ordering an sos pod shortly to replace the setup.

MalcolmV8

Established Member
Could you put a small amount of epoxy or glue to hold the gauge in place so when it expands from the heat it'll stay in place?

black 10th vert

Established Member
Could you put a small amount of epoxy or glue to hold the gauge in place so when it expands from the heat it'll stay in place?

While this is a good suggestion, I would recommend just putting a rubber o-ring of appropriate size over the back part of the gauge to retain it from falling, or bouncing out if you hit a bump. You could also use some clear silicone caulk on the backside to retain it as well. No need to replace the pod, as I would think that most aftermarket ones are molded from the same type of thermoplastic which will be subject to expansion like you have.

f2hatch

Established Member
I just had the same problem with mocking up my new oil pressure gauge going in the lower spot of SOS pod. As well as the wideband in the column pod a little electrical tape fixed both. The upper spot on the SOS pod is tight on the gauge

firemanmike

FIREMANMIKE
Established Member
Areoforce and speed of sound pillar.

I've got a two pod SOS pillar and had no problems at all (using Speedhut gauges) with fitment. Stuff was perfect with a perfect fit; I guess they're all a bit different but can't see how as they are injection molded parts, all out of the same tooling.:shrug::shrug::shrug:

ruthless

Turbo Terminator and TVS Terminator Vert
Established Member
So you guys are blowing hot air on the back of your gauges when they are in the vents? Do you have any idea how hot the vents get?

OP I bet your next post is going to be..."My pos gauge stopped working and its new. What the hell!?!"

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Since we're talking about hot air from the center vents blowing on the gauges, wouldn't a better solution be to block off air to the center vents altogether? The gauge(s) would block most of the air anyway, so it shouldn't mean very much as far as lost heated or cooled air. Just a thought.

Mystic03

Established Member
I made my own vent pod I run my heater through the vents with no problem at all been doin it for a few years now

Greenwood1982

Established Member
I have two autometer guages, boost vacuum and volt meter with sos pillar pod. I notice the guage lenses fog up sometimes. You guys ever have issues with that?

Users who are viewing this thread