Installing headers and midpipe this weekend

h4cHi

Established Member
Kooks 1 7/8 LTH
Kooks ORX
Steeda CAI
Thinking About picking up a Lethal OAP too
any advice and road blocks you guys came into would be most greatful before I start this journey! Thanks in advance!

2014Mustang5oh

Fast is never fast enough
Established Member
Im in the middle of doing mine and will finish today. Hardest parts for me was passenger side header there is ome header nut that you have to use a wrench. Took me an hour just on that one bolt. 02 sensors are a bitch to unplug as well. The starter has a top bolt that you cant see or get to until you remove the motor mount. Most important its going to take a while. Stay patient and it will go smoother

h4cHi

Established Member
Im in the middle of doing mine and will finish today. Hardest parts for me was passenger side header there is ome header nut that you have to use a wrench. Took me an hour just on that one bolt. 02 sensors are a bitch to unplug as well. The starter has a top bolt that you cant see or get to until you remove the motor mount. Most important its going to take a while. Stay patient and it will go smoother

Im expecting 6 hours minimum out the gate so I just wanna make sure I do it all in one day I got a buddy whose gonna help me so

Nuar

Established Member
RELOCATE THE o2 sensors before you instal the headers! You dont want the headaches of replacing the sensors every few months. It gets old very fast.

Nuar

Established Member
Lower the kmember, outline it on the chasis with a sharpie. Leave it hanging on the front suspension.
It makes the job A LOT easier.
The starter bolt is cake, small ratchet, extension and a deep socket is all it took for me and it was off in a minute.
The ground strap on the passenger side engine mount bracket is a pain. Just take your time and you will get it done. Get a set of ratcheting wrenches they're a must have on this and will make the job go a lot faster and easier. At least a 15mm (i think it was).

Last edited:

h4cHi

Established Member
Lower the kmember, outline it on the chasis with a sharpie. Leave it hanging on the front suspension.
It makes the job A LOT easier.
The starter bolt is cake, small ratchet, extension and a deep socket is all it took for me and it was off in a minute.
The ground strap on the passenger side engine mount bracket is a pain. Just take your time and you will get it done. Get a set of ratcheting wrenches they're a must have on this and will make the job go a lot faster and easier. At least a 15mm (i think it was).

Did you do it on stands? What was your install time?I am really hoping this is a ton easier than when I did my rear suspension in the fall that was a pain in the ass to say the least

Last edited:

Nuar

Established Member
Yeah on stands.
My instal took me two days technically, because i was being a stubborn idiot lol. Everyone told me to lower the kmember but i refused to, finally i gave in and did it. Made the job 10x easier.
My second issue was again, me being an idiot. People told me to remove some studs from the head to slip the header on, once again i didnt want to do that and tried everything i could think of to get the header over the studs while clearing the frame rail. Once again, no luck and i gave in. My buddy had a set of ratchetting reverse torx wrenches, i pulled a few studs out, slipped the header on, replaced the studs that i removed and bolted it on in no time at all.

I supported the engine with a jack a piece of 2x4 under the ribs of the transmission.
Unbolt the transmission crossmember to allow more movement of the whole thing too. (I didnt do that at first either)

Last edited:

h4cHi

Established Member
Yeah on stands.
My instal took me two days technically, because i was being a stubborn idiot lol. Everyone told me to lower the kmember but i refused to, finally i gave in and did it. Made the job 10x easier.
My second issue was again, me being an idiot. People told me to remove some studs from the head to slip the header on, once again i didnt want to do that and tried everything i could think of to get the header over the studs while clearing the frame rail. Once again, no luck and i gave in. My buddy had a set of ratchetting reverse torx wrenches, i pulled a few studs out, slipped the header on, replaced the studs that i removed and bolted it on in no time at all.

I supported the engine with a jack a piece of 2x4 under the ribs of the transmission.
Unbolt the transmission crossmember to allow more movement of the whole thing too. (I didnt do that at first either)

And what would of your time been without yoh being stubborn would it have been?

Nuar

Established Member
I work slow, i hate rushing because that is when mistakes happen. I would guess maybe around 6 hours like you are planning.
Start on Saturday, that way if something holds you up, you will have Sunday to finish up.

Ultrakla$$ic

WhoFlungPoo
Established Member
Mine only took 4 days. 2 days spent taping everything off to prevent scratches to ANYTHING. LOL!

1381880750_zps5efa1696.jpg

1381880752_zpsb9ae4929.jpg

1383438542_zps2b22d780.jpg

1383438514_zpsb26076a7.jpg

1382307363_zps330180c3.jpg

1382307669_zpsc682639a.jpg

Nuar

Established Member
Jesus Darren, you are beyond anal hahaha.
Though i do wish i taped up the engine bay frame rails. I scratched mine in a few places :( i was so pissed when i was done...

h4cHi

Established Member
Now does anyone know where I get an instruction maual? Kooks decided to give me a paper with instructions on how to install an axleback instead of headers and i also need a list of tools needed =( do I need o2 extensions??????

Last edited:

five.slow

El Jefe
Established Member
headers are easy, took me about 4hrs. i have slim and long fingers so i can pretty much reach everything and never dropped the k member yet... im sure my luck will run out soon.

OP get yourself a 1/4" swivel and a few various sized 1/4" drive extensions you can use them to get the starter bolts out easier going from the front side of the k member. i donno if its easier with the k member dropped down any but my guess is it would. a GOOD ratchet like a 138 tooth makes life easier too. dont try to use the 84 count or w/e crap ratchets from walmart. MOST IMPORTANTLY!!!! get yourself some cold brew and enjoy the mod.

h4cHi

Established Member
headers are easy, took me about 4hrs. i have slim and long fingers so i can pretty much reach everything and never dropped the k member yet... im sure my luck will run out soon.

OP get yourself a 1/4" swivel and a few various sized 1/4" drive extensions you can use them to get the starter bolts out easier going from the front side of the k member. i donno if its easier with the k member dropped down any but my guess is it would. a GOOD ratchet like a 138 tooth makes life easier too. dont try to use the 84 count or w/e crap ratchets from walmart. MOST IMPORTANTLY!!!! get yourself some cold brew and enjoy the mod.

I only use Snap on and Craftsman lol but I'm sure several beers shall be had

Nuar

Established Member
Ratchetting wrenches the slimmest head around the ratchetting mechanism you can find, reverse torx sockets or ratchetting wrenches, regular ratchets and extensions.

**One tip!** when disconnecting the steering shaft, make a sharpie mark across the head of the bolt following across the joint. That will make sure you know which side the bolt went in on and you will avoid the slop in the steering wheel. When you put that bolt in backwards, the steering wheel will have a lot of play in it (quarter to half an inch of play)

Here are your "instructions" i didnt have any either. This helped A LOT!

[youtube_browser]mGHKcDh3rfc[/youtube_browser]

2014Mustang5oh

Fast is never fast enough
Established Member
Just got mine installed today. No issues and I didn't drop the Kmember. 1 or 2 header bolts were time consuming but difficulty wasnt as bad as everyone made me believe. Just takes a long time

chao5.0

Established Member
I think I'm going to do mine myself instead of paying a shop $400-$500 for the install, instead take the money and buy a new k member and swap that out the same time I do the headers.

Users who are viewing this thread