HUGE explosion in China - city of Tianjin

4601S/C

Established Member
I can't get over how massive that explosion was. My sympathies go out to those who were affected. Really sad stuff...

encasedmetal

WHINO!
Established Member
how is a local saying everyone within a km didn't survive and our news is saying 50 dead? is this typical news lying or no one was really down there when it happened?

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
it does appear to have been a largely industrial area and in the middle of the night so hopefully there werent many people around. At this point I dont think anyone knows and as pointed out earlier I think I would take news from China with more than a grain of a salt

the article on BBC listed a bunch of volatile chemicals being stored there (they arrested the company CEOs already) and many of them have dangerous reactions to water and other chemicals so its a difficult situation

R.D.P.

Extra Sprinkles
Established Member
Saw something saying the Chinese people will see this as a sign of bad favor from the gods or something. That the government will and is squashing it so people don't panic. Such a different culture than our own.

WireEater

Dumpster Baby
Established Member
2,750 Volkswagens, 4,000 Hyundai-Kia vehicles and 1,500 Renaults were destroyed in the wake of the blast.

it does appear to have been a largely industrial area and in the middle of the night so hopefully there werent many people around. At this point I dont think anyone knows and as pointed out earlier I think I would take news from China with more than a grain of a salt

the article on BBC listed a bunch of volatile chemicals being stored there (they arrested the company CEOs already) and many of them have dangerous reactions to water and other chemicals so its a difficult situation

The Tianjin Tanggu Environmental Monitoring Station data suggests hazardous chemicals stored by the company include sodium cyanide (NaCN), toluene diisocyanate (TDI) and calcium carbide (CaC2), all of which are extremely hazardous to health.

Sodium cyanide is highly toxic whilst toluene diisocyanate and calcium carbide react violently with water – a further potential hazard with rain forecast for the region over the next 24 hours.

The rain also raises the risk of chemicals being washed into local water supplies and eco-systems – with unknown impacts.

Most strange is this: I have a friend on WeChat (Chinese IM service), her friend was a soldier involved in the rescue, who told her that they had already lifted, two or three hundred bodies from the site. Internet users also said not to trust the news from the mainland."

Last edited:

svtfocus2cobra

Opprimere, Velocitas, Violentia Operandi
Established Member
Not even close, even our smallest tactical nuclear warheads are hundreds of times more powerful.

I know what ours can do. The blast of a single stage of a D5 rocket is nearly as big as that Chinese blast. I was talking about some nukes that have been developed, not just ours. Poor comparison, I'll admit. It was just such an incredible explosion though.

Edit: After watching more videos of the Chinese blast and the rocket blasts I rescind that statement.

Last edited:

72MachOne99GT

Established Member
Premium Member
**** that, one more reason to live out of big cities.

I hope they can locate and save as many lives as possible.

jconnor3

Established Member
Wow that last video posted was crazy. I can't believe their windows didn't blow! I know its not a laughing matter, but the guy & girl talking had me laughing.

VNOMIS

Yeah, I said it
Established Member
I found this one. Pretty crazy and intense. I thought the first explosion was the second one because it looked so big.

[video=youtube;g7FXeaahRsg]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g7FXeaahRsg[/video]

Last edited:

Jefe

Established Member
Heres everything I found on it, most in order. Feel free to put this in the OP

Notice how destroyed the buildings are, this is a view from a residential tower:

CMQpqbrVEAAmmbF.png:large

Still drives:

_84859419_1aa74538-5a9d-44e2-a882-dfbf8779c442.jpg

30 residential towers within a 1/4 mile:

_84865672_china_blast_624_v5.png

View from the towers:

main_1200.jpg

main_1200.jpg

Check out the massive crater:

cjMu6JF.jpg

Information posted on twitter:

"The Tianjin Binhai New Area explosion, just how many people were killed? Officially published figures say 50 people died in the accident, 11 of which were members of the firefighting effort. However, "Apple" reporters followed family members of those missing, and police cars into the disastor-zone investigation. According to the police, 120 firefighters and armed police entered the site to help, but only 4 came out. Added with the others, there should ought to be approximately 200 dead.
The police also said, there were many dead from those living in their houses, mostly from broken shards of glass. The power of the explosion was enormous, with everything within 10 kilometers being affected. Police also criticized firefighters for improperly fighting the fire with water; you must not use water, use chemical foam fire extinguishing instead.
Most strange is this: I have a friend on WeChat (Chinese IM service), her friend was a soldier involved in the rescue, who told her that they had already lifted, two or three hundred bodies from the site. Internet users also said not to trust the news from the mainland."

Coordinates of the location: 39.038611°N 117.736944°E

Not sure how old these are but there are many more residential towers less than a mile away. Each tower looks like 15-20 stories. Thousands could have been in the blast zone.

Capture_zpssbu02gj5.png

zoomed out some more, over 100 towers nearby

Capture1_zpsumzss1ta.png

Towers

Capture3_zpstidsmbp8.png

Huge hotel across the highway

Capture4_zpsqw6npxaz.png

Dgeat43.jpg

Red zone is about 1 mile wide

Capture_zpshwlwhlnq.png

Orange zone is about 2.5 miles wide

Capture1_zpsmyupyd2y.png

Green zone is about 4.5 miles wide

Capture3_zpsdtdqfddn.png

Found an aerial before/after, the towers dont look all that damaged but hard to tell. Probably just glass and wall/ceiling damage. Might have only injured/killed people facing the explosion.

CMUCkIiWwAEy03g.jpg

CMUCj9zWoAANUrf.jpg

At the bottom in the center of each image ^, those blue roofs are demolished just next door to the towers. Not sure what those are though:

Capture_zpsr5yvgxin.png

CMT_IUKUEAQneEf.png

BN-JV448_0812CB_J_20150812224005.jpg

WSJ Photos

Check out the steel containers all mangled:

BN-JV575_0813cb_J_20150813100949.jpg

BN-JV577_0813cb_J_20150813100949.jpg

BN-JV574_0813cb_J_20150813100949.jpg

BN-JV511_CBLAST_J_20150813070711.jpg

BN-JV573_0813cb_J_20150813100949.jpg

BN-JV576_0813cb_J_20150813100949.jpg

BN-JV443_0812CB_J_20150812223950.jpg

BN-JV572_0813cb_J_20150813100949.jpg

Heres a shot from the Towers. Check out all the glass and rubble on the roof in the bottom of the pic. Anyone not taking cover got blasted with building shrapnel

BN-JV442_0812CB_J_20150812223950.jpg

BN-JV445_0812CB_J_20150812223950.jpg

Under the freeway just left of the blast :eek3: That shock wave was insane

BN-JV447_0812CB_J_20150812224004.jpg

BN-JV449_0812CB_J_20150812224005.jpg

Clock stopped at the exact time the big explosion happened. 11:40PM. Its been alomst 30 hours

FOREIGN201508140237000567412855852.jpg

tianjin-blast-wide.png

tpbje2015081334f_51949055.jpg

Pluming smoke is seen through the hole of a damaged residential building near the site of the explosions:

china-blast_dsc23_51947653.jpg

Wheels melted:

1383971685893716371.jpg

This guy brings up some interesting points. Check out the CNN reporter at 2:05 trying to get the story outside the hospital and gets shut down by Chinese officials. Locals were threatened not to spread rumors online and thousands of posts were deleted from local forums. Beijing assured its residents that the chemicals would not come towards them but out to sea towards . . . Korea. Little over 400 miles away. My sisters family is in Seoul :wtc:

[youtube_browser]xHmy3mg2Euo[/youtube_browser]

Death toll at 56 as of 8/14/15 at 9a eastern time :bored: Probably more like 300+

Firefighter Rescued 31 Hours After Massive Explosions

CMVtNUuUcAEBnMX.jpg

Physicist describes what he sees. Says the big explosion was way more than 21 tons, more like 300 tons and over 2,000 degrees

[youtube_browser]_hcwMwFbJKc[/youtube_browser]

https://twitter.com/iChinadian/status/632031345166843904/photo/1

CMVtKMnUAAAF98x.jpg

WeChat: 11 squads (400 men) died, all buildings within 1km area flattened. Soldier said 300 bodies removed. #Tianjin

https://twitter.com/iChinadian/status/632029457616797696/photo/1

15 firefighters sent to put out 2 burning tanks, 15 body-bags (one-way trip). #Tianjin #China #RIP

CMVrbeRUkAARxJc.jpg

The Chinese government has issued the following directives to the country's media, according to China Digitial Times:
Cyberspace Administration of China: Standard sources must be used regarding the explosions in Tianjin’s Tanggu Open Economic Zone. Use only copy from Xinhua and authoritative departments and media. Websites cannot privately gather information on the accident, and when publishing news cannot add individual interpretation without authorization. Do not make live broadcasts.
Tianjin Propaganda Department: Editors and reporters for city TV stations, radio stations, newspapers, and new media work units, including announcers and anchors, must absolutely not privately post to Weibo or WeChat friend circles about the explosions.
Internet Propaganda Office of [Province Withheld]: Top Priority—Remove news and images from the explosions in Tianjin’s Tanggu Open Economic Zone from headlines and recommendations. Tidy up posts. Do not post articles that are not from Xinhua. If such articles have already been posted, please push them to the back of the stage.

Dangerous chemicals at Tianjin blast site were stored just 600 metres from residential complex

A residential complex badly damaged in the Tianjin explosions was located just 600 metres from a chemical storage warehouse at the centre of Wednesday’s blasts, contravening a 2001 government regulation to keep homes and chemical storage facilities apart.

building1.jpg

tjmap3.jpg

Greenpeace said yesterday that rain forecast to fall on Friday could bring the chemicals in the atmosphere to earth and pollute the city’s waterways.

Video showing CNN reporter blocked by officials and forced off the hospital property:

https://twitter.com/CBSNLive/status/631986112257396736

In China right now, friend is reading through weixin (Wechat).
There was a weixin thread about how the government is covering up the death toll. The thread claims it's not possible that the death toll is around the tens, because there were many people who had lived near by/close to the port. This includes thousands and thousands of people that experienced the blast up close. The locals are trying to say that the government is hiding the death toll, and that the deaths are in the thousands. As soon as we refreshed the page, the weixin thread was deleted.
I was not able to take a picture of the thread, but that's what I got from the "locals".
This is just speculative, don't believe me for every word I say.

Last edited:

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Wow, Jefe, you did some awesome investigative work. After reading/viewing what you posted, I am astonished by the magnitude of the blast. Blind blowing.

Users who are viewing this thread