How would I know if my car has a tune

black99lightnin

move along
Established Member
It's been a minute since I've played with a GT500/ford tuning. I recently bought an 08 GT500. It does have the ford racing CAI. From what I've read, to make it work the car has to be tuned for it. It's the 113mm unit that attaches to the factory tube. I've bought a 2.65 pulley and will be getting a tune, most likely from VMP as I've used them in the past. I didn't get a tuner with the car. So my question is can they write a tune over a tune or will I need to get this car flashed back stock then get it tuned for the pulley/CAI?

VNMOUS1

Established Member
It's been a minute since I've played with a GT500/ford tuning. I recently bought an 08 GT500. It does have the ford racing CAI. From what I've read, to make it work the car has to be tuned for it. It's the 113mm unit that attaches to the factory tube. I've bought a 2.65 pulley and will be getting a tune, most likely from VMP as I've used them in the past. I didn't get a tuner with the car. So my question is can they write a tune over a tune or will I need to get this car flashed back stock then get it tuned for the pulley/CAI?
It will depend. Since it's clearly tuned, if it was a Ford ProCal tuning device and tune, you should be able to overwrite it.

Some custom tunes are encrypted and cannot be written over.

In that case, we (Venomous Tuning) provide a start up file that you load onto your sct device.

You take the car to a dealer and have them flash it to "as built".

Then you flash the car with my startup file and the sct device stores a copy of the as built tune.

Let me know if you need any assistance.

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

04sleeper

Runs On "Liquid Gold"
Super Moderator
It can be tuned no problem. You can either reset it to stock at a dealer or just write over it. I can easily handle it no problem and tune it perfectly and even provide you with a stock tune if you so desire.

1Kona_Venom

US Army (Ret)
Established Member
Premium Member
I haven't found one in the car. and no WB. Just doing the basic 2.65/CAI

Why not change out the throttle body to a 65 or 67 while you're in there?

When you do a tune, try to do as many tasks as you can to get your tune money's worth.

If you decide later to add a $600.00 throttle body, its gonna run you extra money to pay for the retune, $200.00+ . Thermostat....etc

VNMOUS1

Established Member

When you do a tune, try to do as many tasks as you can to get your tune money's worth.

If you decide later to add a $600.00 throttle body, its gonna run you extra money to pay for the retune, $200.00+ . Thermostat....etc
Depends on who tuned it. I update twin throttle bodies at no charge for a year

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
It can be tuned no problem. You can either reset it to stock at a dealer or just write over it. I can easily handle it no problem and tune it perfectly and even provide you with a stock tune if you so desire.

Exactly. You should be able to just flash a new tune to it.

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member

Truth

black99lightnin

move along
Established Member

doing this on a budget. Way back these throttlebody's weren't that expensive or my memory isn't serving me well. With a 122 I don't see picking up enough to justify $600+ on a throttlebody.

1Kona_Venom

US Army (Ret)
Established Member
Premium Member
doing this on a budget. Way back these throttlebody's weren't that expensive or my memory isn't serving me well. With a 122 I don't see picking up enough to justify $600+ on a throttlebody.

Sounds like a good plan.

Depends on who tuned it. I update twin throttle bodies at no charge for a year

Roger that!. Some do.

blubyu87gt

Established Member
If the tuner encrypts and all that crap, find another tuner or learn to do it yourself…. It’s not rocket surgery.

This whole “muh intellectual property” is BS to the highest order.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

blubyu87gt

Established Member
So, play around and learn how to tune on a $20,000 motor?
Right

Or let someone else play around on your 20k motor and start pointing fingers of it blows

Right….

Or if it starts having issues you think are tune related at 10pm while you’re try to get some runs in (or at 7am on the weekend on your way to cars and coffee for the car show folks) at least all tuners who lock and encrypt YOUR cars PCM (which is running base software which could more arguably be considered IP) offer 24:7/365 support…. right?

Probably won’t be the case, but they will charge you promptly on Monday for a re-tune. Unless you’re inside their humble grace period, of course.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread