"how to: blower removal and installation"

brian97cobra

The Infractionator
Established Member
Note to all. 8ft lbs MAX ON THE LOWER INTAKE TO HEAD BOLTS!!!!!

you'll snap every one at 15ft-lbs. Ask me know I know...

****!

I've done about 20 of these. Now I have found that sometimes the holes need to be tapped clean.

I hope you were able to remove the broken bolts.

Last edited:

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
Note to all. 8ft lbs MAX ON THE LOWER INTAKE TO HEAD BOLTS!!!!!

you'll snap every one at 15ft-lbs. Ask me know I know...

****!

There has been a note in the beginning of this thread in RED TEXT since February stating-> (EDIT-NOTE)The correct torque # for lower intake to heads is 89 in/lb. per the Ford manual.

Tonight I went into the body of the post, and found, and removed the second incorrect torque reference.

gtmustang00

Established Member
Other than the intercooler to blower bolts, what other bolts are tty and need replacing? I'm going to make an order with Tousely ford. Do i really need all those gaskets?

*SVT*

What next?
Established Member
Sweet write up. I would have struggled a little without it. Got it off in about 2 hours.
Thanks for taking the time to post it.

mrose75

Established Member
I'm aboout to try to tackle this with a time crunch. Need to know if it's feasible. How long does reassembly take?

cj428mach

Established Member
Do most people reinstall the blower and lower manifold in one piece if you have them both off? I removed my lower to fix a leaking pcv hose and I don't really want to mess with putting them back on one at a time.

MalcolmV8

Established Member
Do most people reinstall the blower and lower manifold in one piece if you have them both off? I removed my lower to fix a leaking pcv hose and I don't really want to mess with putting them back on one at a time.

I've done it both ways with the Eaton, either is fine. All as one is heavier of course so be careful. When installing my 2.9 whipple all as one is the only way if you want to get all the bolts in.

cj428mach

Established Member
I've done it both ways with the Eaton, either is fine. All as one is heavier of course so be careful. When installing my 2.9 whipple all as one is the only way if you want to get all the bolts in.

Ok thank you. Which do you prefer? I just don't like the idea of dropping the lower down on the gaskets then having to tilt the front up to get the intercooler neck back on. I'm sure it'll seal fine especially with the rubber rings around the port but why risk it.

I also thought it was very tough to get the lower out. It really had to come out straight up then out which was a little tough to do as getting the lower up high enough to clear the intake ports was a little tough. That has me leaning back towards doing them separate.

How sensitive is the blower to water? I'm thinking about taking it out and power washing it before it goes back on. Does that sound like a problem?

Last edited:

MalcolmV8

Established Member
Ok thank you. Which do you prefer? I just don't like the idea of dropping the lower down on the gaskets then having to tilt the front up to get the intercooler neck back on. I'm sure it'll seal fine especially with the rubber rings around the port but why risk it.

I also thought it was very tough to get the lower out. It really had to come out straight up then out which was a little tough to do as getting the lower up high enough to clear the intake ports was a little tough. That has me leaning back towards doing them separate.

How sensitive is the blower to water? I'm thinking about taking it out and power washing it before it goes back on. Does that sound like a problem?

I preferred putting the intake in first and then installing the eaton but like I said both ways will work.

As for power washing. I'm sure it'll be fine. You mean the outside casing right? Just use common sense and don't put the nozzle to close to anything. Be very careful of the intercooler too.

cj428mach

Established Member
I preferred putting the intake in first and then installing the eaton but like I said both ways will work.

As for power washing. I'm sure it'll be fine. You mean the outside casing right? Just use common sense and don't put the nozzle to close to anything. Be very careful of the intercooler too.

Yeah I mean the case, but I'm sure the whole thing would end up getting pretty wet.

mrose75

Established Member
:fm::fm:Can somebody explain to me how the F*&% i just snapped the 7mm bolt connecting the intercooler to the blower at 18 in/lbs?? And after that explain to me how the F*&^ I'm supposed to get it out??:fm::bash:

Dremel and a screwdriver. Back to work.

Last edited by a moderator:

FSUstang

>>=;=====>
Established Member
Anybody have an ideas on how to reach around the elbow of a Whipple 2.3 to get to those intake bolts, as well as the rear fuel rail bolt, all on the passenger side? It' been a real PITA for me and I STILL don't have them off.

MalcolmV8

Established Member
Anybody have an ideas on how to reach around the elbow of a Whipple 2.3 to get to those intake bolts, as well as the rear fuel rail bolt, all on the passenger side? It' been a real PITA for me and I STILL don't have them off.

There is no trick per say. It's just a giant PITA that takes some figuring out. To get to that very rear intake manifold bolt on the passenger's side I have to use a combination of two wobble extensions (1/4" drive) with a u-joint between them. Two different length extensions too. It takes some figuring out but it can be done.

cj428mach

Established Member

I used a 6" + 3" 3/8 drive extension with a universal joint to get to the intake bolt in front of the intake elbow, and the one behind the elbow wasn't bad at all. As for the fuel rail bolt I think that would be impossible on the car. Why not remove it as a whole unit as the only way to get it back on is as a whole unit.

04cobra8u

Fellow SVT Poster
Established Member
s/c to i/c Bolts

Hey guys, does anyone know if the supercharger to intercooler bolts can
be picked up at a hardware store rather than being ordered from Ford?
I called Ford and they want $8/bolt so that means $80 plus shipping for the set. Any info on the exact size/type would be appreciated. Thanks in advance

Last edited:

mrose75

Established Member
Don't buy the Ford ones, they'll just snap on you. I got some from a hardware store and the Ford ones. One of the Ford ones snapped so I used the hardware store ones. Don't remember the specs on it though. I just took one of the ones I removed with me. And hardware store bolts are not $8 each.

Users who are viewing this thread