"how to: blower removal and installation"

xavier296

Always another project.
Established Member
I love this write up, and referenced it alot during my whipple install, but unfortunately did not look at the whole thread before going and definitely broke a lower intake to heads bolt trying to reach 15 ft-lbs. Can the original thread be changed so as not to cause this problem with others?? I am not pissed or anything, I just want to avoid others having the fun I am going to have getting that bolt out!!! Maybe if I am lucky I can just screw it out. Ha, I am such a dreamer.

Rick James

Got Brimley???
Established Member
I love this write up, and referenced it alot during my whipple install, but unfortunately did not look at the whole thread before going and definitely broke a lower intake to heads bolt trying to reach 15 ft-lbs. Can the original thread be changed so as not to cause this problem with others?? I am not pissed or anything, I just want to avoid others having the fun I am going to have getting that bolt out!!! Maybe if I am lucky I can just screw it out. Ha, I am such a dreamer.

I will BET you it is easy to get out! I broke one on my first swap, and I actually got it out w/o removing the blower. Try using either really thin needle nose pliers, or maybe even a pencil eraser. When those things let go, they are usually pretty loose in the intake and can be backed out easily. Good luck!!!

68_GT

Terminated '98
Established Member
nice write up thanks !

just wanted to pull my blower to fill the eaton silencer holes. I put a HD eaton on my old F150 which was easier. Glad I had this to refrence as I never realized the damn intercooler was bolted to the bottom of the blower and had those ridiculous intercooler lines running through the front that cause you to have to unbolt the lower manifold. The HD and lightning intercooler is incorporated in with the lower manifold so the blower just comes right up after the 10 blower bolts are removed. Just a little more work. Guess I still would have done it had I realized this going in just to fill the silencer holes only. Little frustrated over that but I'll be happy when it's back together. :) .....anyway thanks !

hinds04

Established Member
Will be doing this over the next couple days, along with 4lb lower. Sending to posi later this week. Im a little worried about getting the eaton off of the intercooler. Wish me luck

FSTMRFR

FaST MotheR Fuc keR
Established Member
wow...holy old thread.....

anyhow, dont be worried...very easy...only bad thing is the intercooler tubes that run to the front of the motor...everything else is EASY!!!

hit me in a PM if you have anyquestions....

FSTMRFR

FaST MotheR Fuc keR
Established Member
you dont want to do that....I am taking it you are talking about steg porting??? they touch the rotors and deburr them....you want to send as a complete unit, unless other wise instructed from them...they are the experts...I would not advise you to do that....

but you can take it apart, but unbolting the housing....its not rocket science....

hinds04

Established Member
I am putting my eaton back in soon and im a little worried about torch specs. Are the bolts tightened twice? for example all to 18in/lbs then all to 53in/lbs. ANyone in central IL wanna come help? lol

venomous99

Established Member
just remember...the M6 lower intake bolts should be torqued to 89inch/lbs. i made the mistake of targeting 15ft/lbs w/out verifying and snapped a bolt.

Jomo1994z71

Can I get a KB WooWee!
Established Member
After pulling out/of the blower, how do you clean the gunk in the intercooler? Or if you put a JLT oil seperator on will it work its way clean?

Clean it with brake cleaner or carb cleaner...
The JLT oil separator will keep future sludge crap from forming...I don't have one though as I'm not too worried about it...

jimjeffords

Established Member
Does anyone know in this picture where the 8mm bolt goes?
stepeight2gr.gif

Also is the 8mm longer than the 10s?
I had them set aside but my 3 year old created a nut and bolt spill.
The (3) 10 mm are short and the 8mm is longer. If so the which hole does the 8mm go?

Jomo1994z71

Can I get a KB WooWee!
Established Member
I would imagine the top left one...post this in the terminator talk section for a quick response. Gotta love kids, lol..
Good luck

Native

Established Member
Bringing this one back. Why does the intercooler manifold need to come off? Looks like it bolts into the lower intake. Couldn't you just leave the intake bolted on and just remove the blower bolts and pull it up?

Forgive my ignorance.

forcefedcobra

Established Member
Bringing this one back. Why does the intercooler manifold need to come off? Looks like it bolts into the lower intake. Couldn't you just leave the intake bolted on and just remove the blower bolts and pull it up?

Forgive my ignorance.

since the intercooler bolts to the bottom of the blower you must remove the manifold and two pipes that connect to the intercooler prior to pulling the blower/intercooler assembly off the intake manifold. You can do this without removing the full assembly from the car by raising it up like the pic on the top of this page. Most just remove everything because it is easier to play with it on a bench than bending over the engine bay.

Nitrous SSC

Established Member
Note to all. 8ft lbs MAX ON THE LOWER INTAKE TO HEAD BOLTS!!!!!

you'll snap every one at 15ft-lbs. Ask me know I know...

****!

Users who are viewing this thread