how fast is a mach 1 ??

Status
Not open for further replies.

BmoseleyINC

SVT Immortal
Established Member
WhiteTxMach said:
Isnt it the Cobra owners that are the ones getting all butthurt over it being a drivers race between 96-01 and a Mach? :smmon:

NO, im not at least. I know it's a drivers race, never said it wasnt..All 3 cars are very close to each other performacne wise.

Blue03Cobra

The Family Dinner Improv
Established Member
Damn, 9 pages in two days...can't we all just get along?

/rant on
DOHC Mustangs, regardless of iteration, are damn fast compared to the rest of the automobile world and anyone who is fortunate enough to own one should be happy and contented...
/rant off

Thank you, please drive through...

BLUBLLS

Iamchris said:
Just did some quick math to get some rough numbers, I never kept my initial work.

These are only taken from two sample cars, and they have not been scaled for the power band, so they only represent peak torque in each gear. I could have done one for power as well, but I am tired and need to be back to work in several hours... I am also not really interested in doing your foot work.
These numbers represent the percentile of difference in power to weight ratio of a Mach one compared to a Cobra;
1st: +16%
2nd: +1%
3rd: -8%
4th: -10%

The numbers are not refined and possibly incorrect by a small margin(maybe one or two percent) because I did the math quick and round to the tenth.

Chris- Thanks for providing some data :beer: However, are these numbers just talking about peak HP in each gear or are they also considering the TQ numbers? HP keeps you moving, but it's the TQ that gets you going. The cobra has a much flatter TQ curvea nd plenty more of it if I am not mistaken :shrug:

Snakebite2k3

Pray For The Dead To Rise
Established Member
I raced the stock mach four times last night with mods in signature.
long story short is I beat him every time by at least 3+ cars.

Peace.. Joel

redocmach1

Established Member
Snakebite2k5 said:

Peace.. Joel
...shit man, you shouldve beat him by alot more than that if he was STOCK...i didnt think a mach could keep up that much stock...i would think you would put about 5-6 on him...odd... :dw:

Snakebite2k3

Pray For The Dead To Rise
Established Member
redocmach1 said:
...shit man, you shouldve beat him by alot more than that if he was STOCK...i didnt think a mach could keep up that much stock...i would think you would put about 5-6 on him...odd... :dw:

well I could of taken him by more cars if I went to 4th gear but had to shut down. :)

JJPMach1

Red 2003 Mach 1
Established Member
The mach held on pretty good......

Or you must be a bad driver :D

Did you start the race with a roll or from a dig? I would be interested how it would turn out from a roll of about 40 to 100.

Last edited:

Iamchris

Shakey Snake
Established Member
KwObAbY said:
Chris- Thanks for providing some data :beer: However, are these numbers just talking about peak HP in each gear or are they also considering the TQ numbers? HP keeps you moving, but it's the TQ that gets you going. The cobra has a much flatter TQ curvea nd plenty more of it if I am not mistaken :shrug:

Thats a good question;
These are only taken from two sample cars, and they have not been scaled for the power band, so they only represent peak torque in each gear

My original graph that I made for myself included the power and torque bands of both cars from 3500 to 6500 RPMs, but it also took me alot longer to make. The numbers for the Mach drop a little at the end of each gear, but the final overall outcome was similar to the one I posted here.
I suspect its because I used a different sample car in this graph.

I used torque numbers here to illustrate the point. When there is alot of load on the motor, such as in 1st and 2nd gear, as you said, the torque counts for alot.
As you may already know, horsepower is a derivative of torque. The motor is capable of turning with a given amount of force (thats torque)... torque is prominent in the lower rpms as the motor works to turn the crank. But as that load is decreased and the car gains speed, the crank is able to spin more rapidly. The rate at which a motor can spin yet still apply torque creates horsepower. In other words, its the effective application of torque under high rpm conditions. The more torque the engine can retain as it spins higher into the rpm band, the more horsepower it is able to create.
In that sense, horsepower is something rather fictional, being it is only a measure of torque.
Even at low rpms, your vehicles output is a measure of its horsepower in that gear. Torque ofcourse is the source of power as it ultimately equated to how much of a load the engine is able to turn at the given rpm... 300tq * 2500rpms / 5252 = 142HP @ 2500 rpms.
All in all, an engine is defined by how much torque it can make and sustain at each variable rpm... and that is horspower. Horsepower simply being a measure of work.
Motors don't make horsepower, but rather torque. Horsepower is only a way to measure the work a motor is capable of doing. Both terms are interchangeable.

A good way to think of it, in my opinion, is when you ride a bicycle, because you can then feel your own limits. You get on the bike and begin to peddle. You can feel the resistance on your legs as you turn your own motion into torque at the wheels. As you begin to peddle faster and rotate the wheels more, you are now applying less torque and make power. In other words, you may not be peddling as hard, but you are making more work (the wheels are turning faster).
When you reach a point on the bike which you can no longer accelerate, you have reached your maximum horse power. Your legs can no longer create the torque required at that rpm to continue the cycle... so you shift gears :)

Last edited:

Serpent

Bike or Cobra?
Established Member
http://www.fast-autos.net/ford/03fordcobra.html

vs

http://www.fast-autos.net/ford/03fordmach1.html

there end of story, i dont care what math chris does, the 4.7 0-60 time that mach 1 got was probably on a down hill road non-humid weather day.

its also funny how they talk about the mach 1 was built by mustang guys, and well gee since the Cobras are SVT that means they arent true mustang guys... hmm Cobra R's own you. & what are the mach 1 guys doing at an SVT site if SVT isnt as cool as Mach 1? :dw:

at the end of the day, judging by those prices i would gladly pay about 6k more for a car with a 6speed, better brakes, stronger bottom end, blower, svt decals, faster 1/4 mile, faster 0-60, and last but not least faster on road courses :burnout:

Iamchris

Shakey Snake
Established Member
& what are the mach 1 guys doing at an SVT site if SVT isnt as cool as Mach 1?
I like Cobras and there is a Mach forum here?

at the end of the day, judging by those prices i would gladly pay about 6k more for a car with a 6speed, better brakes, stronger bottom end, blower, svt decals, faster 1/4 mile, faster 0-60
I guess thats why they sell more than one car. As I said before, I wanted a Mach even though I was about to buy a Cobra.
No thanks. The gearing is too subtle in my opinion, and the extra gear would go between 4th and 5th on the Mach... I never even use 5th, why do I need another OD? It wouldn't hurt, but I don't really need it. Though it is strong.
better brakes
Pretty sure they are the same. Could be wrong.
stronger bottom end
Granted. I'm about to get rebuilt and forged. But stock... its not needed on the Mach, but is nice.
Nice power, but personal preference. There are more ways than this to make power on a modular. Some prefer Turbo, some Nitrous, some N/A. Some don't want the exra power at all.
svt decals
Okay...

I'm not saying the Cobra is not a nice car, and not worth its money. It is. But your opinion is not my holy bible. Many of us are capable of making our own choices.
I'de rather invest a little extra money in my Mach, and have it be a Mach. I love the car for what it is.

Last edited:

STKMACH04

Serpent said:
http://www.fast-autos.net/ford/03fordcobra.html

vs

http://www.fast-autos.net/ford/03fordmach1.html

there end of story, i dont care what math chris does, the 4.7 0-60 time that mach 1 got was probably on a down hill road non-humid weather day.

its also funny how they talk about the mach 1 was built by mustang guys, and well gee since the Cobras are SVT that means they arent true mustang guys... hmm Cobra R's own you. & what are the mach 1 guys doing at an SVT site if SVT isnt as cool as Mach 1? :dw:

at the end of the day, judging by those prices i would gladly pay about 6k more for a car with a 6speed, better brakes, stronger bottom end, blower, svt decals, faster 1/4 mile, faster 0-60, and last but not least faster on road courses :burnout:
The Mach can do 0-60 in 4.7 The driver who tested that was a sleeping at the wheel same with the 1/4 time 14.00 LOL the driver makes the car fast Ive seen LT1s stock run mid 13s with a good driver, Seen Stock Machs run 13.1-14.2 Rember the driver mod Peace to ya

STKMACH04

Iamchris said:
Thats a good question;

My original graph that I made for myself included the power and torque bands of both cars from 3500 to 6500 RPMs, but it also took me alot longer to make. The numbers for the Mach drop a little at the end of each gear, but the final overall outcome was similar to the one I posted here.
I suspect its because I used a different sample car in this graph.

I used torque numbers here to illustrate the point. When there is alot of load on the motor, such as in 1st and 2nd gear, as you said, the torque counts for alot.
As you may already know, horsepower is a derivative of torque. The motor is capable of turning with a given amount of force (thats torque)... torque is prominent in the lower rpms as the motor works to turn the crank. But as that load is decreased and the car gains speed, the crank is able to spin more rapidly. The rate at which a motor can spin yet still apply torque creates horsepower. In other words, its the effective application of torque under high rpm conditions. The more torque the engine can retain as it spins higher into the rpm band, the more horsepower it is able to create.
In that sense, horsepower is something rather fictional, being it is only a measure of torque.
Even at low rpms, your vehicles output is a measure of its horsepower in that gear. Torque ofcourse is the source of power as it ultimately equated to how much of a load the engine is able to turn at the given rpm... 300tq * 2500rpms / 5252 = 142HP @ 2500 rpms.
All in all, an engine is defined by how much torque it can make and sustain at each variable rpm... and that is horspower. Horsepower simply being a measure of work.
Motors don't make horsepower, but rather torque. Horsepower is only a way to measure the work a motor is capable of doing. Both terms are interchangeable.

A good way to think of it, in my opinion, is when you ride a bicycle, because you can then feel your own limits. You get on the bike and begin to peddle. You can feel the resistance on your legs as you turn your own motion into torque at the wheels. As you begin to peddle faster and rotate the wheels more, you are now applying less torque and make power. In other words, you may not be peddling as hard, but you are making more work (the wheels are turning faster).
When you reach a point on the bike which you can no longer accelerate, you have reached your maximum horse power. Your legs can no longer create the torque required at that rpm to continue the cycle... so you shift gears :)
Very well put

STKMACH04

Snakebite2k5 said:

Peace.. Joel
I hope so looking at your mods against a Stock Mach even w/o your mods you still should kill a Stock Mach but for all to rember never under estimate what ya race now a days. And Dont judge a book by its cover. :coolman:

Serpent

Bike or Cobra?
Established Member
funny how that article shows a Cobra VERT, and not a normal coupe, but i guess they did that to make the comparison a little closer than it really is.
Iamchris said:
I like Cobras and there is a Mach forum here?
???

Iamchris said:
I guess thats why they sell more than one car. As I said before, I wanted a Mach even though I was about to buy a Cobra.
yes but you settled for something less with less performance, but i guess you can brag about saving gas, and beating cobras in 1-2 gears, although cobras run faster 0-60 times (posted EVERYWHERE), but keep going in a circle maybe you can make a circle-path to china.

Iamchris said:
Granted. I'm about to get rebuilt and forged. But stock... its not needed on the Mach, but is nice.
the mach 1 doesnt need a rebuild and forging but you're getting it done to your car? hahaha another reason to own a mach 1.

Iamchris said:
I'm not saying the Cobra is not a nice car, and not worth its money. It is. But your opinion is not my holy bible. Many of us are capable of making our own choices.
I'de rather invest a little extra money in my Mach, and have it be a Mach. I love the car for what it is.
i actually see it different, to me the mach 1 is just another bullitt, to some it may be special, but to me its just a little beefier than a normal GT. some might say the samething about a Cobra, but the difference here is its harder to make a mustang look like a Cobra vs making a mustang look like a Mach 1.

all of this denial leads me to believe 1 thing.
Blower Envy :burnout:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread