HellCat vs.,Ford

ctgreddy

Established Member
For what it's worth we just had one of these in my work on the dyno. I dont know if I'm saposed to be sharing this or not but it put down 659/601. It was a stick car and it was plenty warm(boss drove it hard a few miles then went straight on the dyno and had no cool down). I'd imagine with a glory pull it might make 670ish. Not too shabby.

Jefe

Established Member
No way it puts down 650rwhp+ on a dynojet with a manual

If it did then 707 is a lie kinda like 390 was...

ctgreddy

Established Member
No way it puts down 650rwhp+ on a dynojet with a manual

If it did then 707 is a lie kinda like 390 was...

Saw it with my own eyes man. That was std, so sae might have been 645-650 area tho. Still think the 707 was underated. My next question is how well are they going to respond to mods. Is it going to respond as well as the zl1 and shelby do, or is that engine/supercharger already close to maxed out to get that high in the first place.

ctgreddy

Established Member
How are these out and about and people getting their hands on them? Any pics? I'd love to see one in person.
it was a manufacturer car. SRT brought it, they did the same thing with the viper last spring. That's why I dont know if I was saposed to tell what it put down or not lol. But hey, all they told me was I couldn't take pictures of it on the dyno.

MalcolmV8

Established Member
it was a manufacturer car. SRT brought it, they did the same thing with the viper last spring. That's why I dont know if I was saposed to tell what it put down or not lol. But hey, all they told me was I couldn't take pictures of it on the dyno.

Lucky you. That's awesome. Where you able to get up close look under the hood? I hear it has an electric clutch that disengages the supercharger under light driving much like how your a/c disengages to reduce the drag and increase mpg. Sounds slick, was wondering what it looked like on the end of the blower and what it does for swapping pulleys. Wondering how they implemented it.

ctgreddy

Established Member
Lucky you. That's awesome. Where you able to get up close look under the hood? I hear it has an electric clutch that disengages the supercharger under light driving much like how your a/c disengages to reduce the drag and increase mpg. Sounds slick, was wondering what it looked like on the end of the blower and what it does for swapping pulleys. Wondering how they implemented it.

I looked under the hood for a quick second, I didn't notice anything weird with the blower pulley. Other than it looked on the small side and looked like 10rib. It might have been something weird like that but I didn't think you could do it with a blower as easy as the a/c due to how much more clamping force you'd need to prevent the blower from slipping. the throttle body is weird tho, it's mounted horizontally and goes up into the intercooler area which I thought looked strange.

MalcolmV8

Established Member
This is a good link with info on the motor and the blower by IHI. The blower sounds pretty trick...but I think it's limited to only 14,600 rpms max?

http://www.allpar.com/mopar/hemi/hellcat.html

Thanks for the link. Tons of great little info tid bits in there. Multiple intercoolers, one way decoupling clutch on blower etc. They also reference the blower as a "twin screw". I wonder if that's correct. That's awesome. That car's packed with all the right upgrades it seems, strong transmission, cooling mods, exhaust etc. It's like the mopar engineers have been checking the Terminator pages to see what all it takes to make a solid fast car and did it all from the factory :) lol.

SlowSVT

Established Member
This is a good link with info on the motor and the blower by IHI. The blower sounds pretty trick...but I think it's limited to only 14,600 rpms max?

http://www.allpar.com/mopar/hemi/hellcat.html

Sealed supercharger/locked ECU, they are thwarting us already :( One way clutch, sounds like a sprag clutch which means it will free wheel if the engine rpm's drop lower than the blower. Since the blower rpm won't match the engine rpm they must dump the excess boost back into the intake when the TB is slammed shut. I'm not sure I would want this between the drive pulley and the supercharger. They are also using sodium filled valves which have a tendency to stretch (ask me how I know this). More heat from more boost and higher spring pressure would have me opting for new valves.

Should be interesting to see how well this car does. In car reviews the Challenger never got very high marks especially next to the GT500 or the Camaro. It's based on the Chrysler 300 platform. The sucky thing is it such a good looking car yet they saddled it with 4500 lbs of mass coupled with a 115" wheelbase. You would have to strip that car down to the essentials just to get it down to what a GT500 weighs rolling off the showroom floor (the dash assy alone weighs 250 lbs.) :uh oh: The tires and driveline are going to have a hard time coping with all that mass coupled with slow steering from all that wheelbase. If Chrysler had "scaled" the car down when it was on the drawing board this would be a different animal. Of the 3 supercars offered by Detroit I put this one at a distant 3rd and it's going to cost a boat load of money for that honor!

From all I've seen lately makes me want to hug my Terminator even more :)

b_dike

Established Member
Scaling the car down isn't an option. In fact they had to scale the car up when it was first developed to make the body lines look right on this platform. Just an FYI...

SlowSVT

Established Member
Scaling the car down isn't an option. In fact they had to scale the car up when it was first developed to make the body lines look right on this platform. Just an FYI...

that's because they used the wrong platform :nonono:

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
that's true, I read somewhere that part of the reason the car is so big is because it is true to so much of the original 70-74 challenger retro "look" (a good thing imo). but since the ls platform is just a shortened lx platform, they had to use the same firewall and floorpans, then the rest of the car had to be designed around that

Tractionless1

Established Member
They only way to attract attention to such an ugly car is to make a big hp number. Get ready for more clowns only wanting to roll race 'cause they can't hook on the 19's it comes with but want to look pimp at the same time.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread