HellCat vs.,Ford

Mustang289

Established Member
I was at my local cruise-in last Friday, got there early and as time rolled by I was surrounded by Mopar SRTs. These guys were all talking the HellCat will be the badest production car on the road with 707 HP. I asked them what about the GT500 as it has a better weight to hp ratio? Of course the response was HellCat will out run anything Ford has. All I said next is the Challenger is a nice car but it's one heavy mother, current SRT is something like 4439 lbs. - I would expect the HelCat to be a little heavier - to compete with Ford it better have 700 hp.

I'm hoping Ford's SVT group has a similar response to the HellCat like they did when Chevy announced the ZL-1 Camaro with 585 HP.

03SVTscott

Established Member
I got into a similar discussion with a guy......he proceeded to educated me that the Hellcats weight will have little factor and that gearing and driver efficiency makes the most difference. I'm still not sold on the Hellcats weight. I also don't think in the looks department it "stands out" from the crowd much. I think SRT dropped the ball on this one.

spray'n mach 1

Established Member
I love the hell cat and on the street the auto hellcat is going to hurt alot of feelings. probably more than half of all manual owners can't shift for shit and will lose, same goes for the manual hell cats they will need the driver mod as well..

Comp281

Established Member
The car runs a 10.8 1/4 mile with drag radials and nothing else. That is pretty impressive. I like it. Especially how the exhaust opens up when you need it and quiets down during normal driving. I like the fact that the car screams when you punch it and that it sounds like it has aftermarket exhaust when it is bone stock. I do wish it were a little lighter. On a track with twists and turns I think the current GT500 would probably outperform it but I'm not sure about in a straight line. The 8 speed automatic has launch control and 0-60 is rumored to be around 3.5 seconds.

It's not the prettiest of the muscle cars but to me it gives an outlaw / I don't give a **** attitude. I like that. I would drive one.

Edit by me. Guys, just spell the word, the filter will fix it if it's not allowed.

Last edited by a moderator:

SnakeBite4487

Been Bite Lately?
Established Member
8speed auto prob has closer gear ratios to help acceleration. You put 355 or 373 in a 13-14 500 and i promise you it will take the hellcat. Power to weight. Also when one of the ford guys thats working on the 16 cobra and 350's and what not was asked about the hellcat, he scoffed and said he wasn't worried which leads me to believe ford has something even better planned for 16 than the current 500's. I like the looks of the car but im not impressed overall.

stangfreak

Established Member
I love the hell cat and on the street the auto hellcat is going to hurt alot of feelings. probably more than half of all manual owners can't shift for shit and will lose, same goes for the manual hell cats they will need the driver mod as well..

This

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
No doubt the auto is the shit, and I'd own one in a heart beat if the bank account would allow.
Thanks to the guys in here that are keeping this in check, and not turning it into a shit storm like a few of the other threads.

Riddick

MERICA
Established Member
I am glad Dodge stepped up and brought a serious car to the table. I am not really a fan of the Challenger but once they release the Charger Hellcat that will be impressive. Something about a 700 hp sedan that gets me excited!!!

big dad

Established Member
Enjoy it while it lasts boys, because this is going to come to a screeching halt, sooner that many of us realize. What goes up, must come down. I've seen this before.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I fear you might be right, Daryl. These are unprecedented times. What is more amazing is how today's technology makes it relatively safe to drive cars making this much power. Of course, owners get get stupid and then bad things can happen. But to think that Detroit is giving us 700+hp cars that can be driven daily is mind blowing.

canadianbullitt

Established Member
I am glad Dodge stepped up and brought a serious car to the table. I am not really a fan of the Challenger but once they release the Charger Hellcat that will be impressive. Something about a 700 hp sedan that gets me excited!!!

If they decide to stuff this motor in other SRT platforms I can only hope they'll make a jeep version. Mine would be sold within a week and I would put in my order for a Jeep Hellcat.

Mustang289

Established Member
+1 on the comments about today's technology. 700 HP and drive cross county with AC power steering gotta love it! Kudos to Dodge looking forward to seeing the HellCat when it's released and what Ford has up their sleeve.

2004silvercobra

Established Member
I laugh when people keep saying it runs 10.8 because almost every real world 1/4 mile time has been 11.7 and slower. They struggled to get 12.2 here in Colorado and it was Richard Rawlings racing it just like the 10.8 time. Its a nice car and runs good but most on this site i don't think has anything worry about if the average times I've seen is 11.7 and slower.

gasyone

Put Her In Jail!
Established Member
I love these posts. Car wars!! Being an owner of a 14 Shelby I could care less if the hellcat is faster or has more HP than my Shelby. No matter how fast it is or how much HP is has there's one thing it's not......A SHELBY. And as an argument point everyone should agree that with 662hp the Shelby should be in the 10s stock but it's not. The cars are 2 different cars. The Shelby is a 200mph car, the hellcat isn't. The hellcat has an 8sp tranny, the Shelby has 6 with 331s. That alone will make a difference. I think it's great the hellcat is out especially since my tax money helped develop it.

Last edited:

Stage 4.6

Established Member
I am partial to my Cobra but I really like all musclecars, and that Hellcat is pretty impressive regardless of weight. I watched Richard Rawlings run a 12.1 @ 118 in the altitude of Denver on a very hot day. No slicks, big 20 inch wheels, I thought it was quick. Ive seen several of the GT500s run mid 12s here with DRs and those that have run elevens had been modded, so the hellcat is impressive even being overweight.

oldmodman

Established Member
I am waiting for the first owner of a "Hellcat" to roll onto a dyno and try to explain why it's only putting down 585 to the wheels.

38 less than the 03 Cobra that was just run.:-D

svtshadow

Banned
I am waiting for the first owner of a "Hellcat" to roll onto a dyno and try to explain why it's only putting down 585 to the wheels.

38 less than the 03 Cobra that was just run.:-D

Looking to get one. Hopefully I will line up with a stock 13' Gt500...

WheelStander

Ford Plastics Engineer
Established Member
Lol...was just watching the Leno vid and your post interrupted me.

Thanks for that, vid was not that exciting. It is a nice car though.

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
Enjoy it while it lasts boys, because this is going to come to a screeching halt, sooner that many of us realize. What goes up, must come down. I've seen this before.

I am just a little too young to have been fully involved with the first musclecar era. i heard that guys never thought it was going to end, and as you say then in '72 it did, abruptly.

but I think that this musclecar era has continued much longer than the first. like leno was saying in his hellcat video, people were telling him to buy that 400hp viper because you will never see this kind of hp from the factory ever again.

of course no one can predict the future, but I have doubts about when it will end because we have been hearing that it will end for at least 10-15 years now, but somehow it just seems to keep getting better.

Users who are viewing this thread