Revvv

Infinity Poster
Established Member
I don't play anymore. Arthritis hit when I was 22, and that was a long time ago. But I do build tube amplifiers. Just finished another one tonight! Clone of a Fender Champ from 1957 with a couple of additions: added a choke, copper foil shielding throughout the chassis and separate ground buses for power section and preamp section. One knob: on/off/volume. With a Ted Weber 10" speaker, tweed finished cabinet. No effects. Only does one thing: sound awesome!

My third new build since I went legit, and I've got more orders than I can handle even for what I'm asking for these.
James, we need to talk. I would love to learn more about your builds. I would also like to track one and check out the tone.

Who knows, you may have the next Dr Z, Mesa, or Twin Reverb on your hands?

I would love a custom built tube amp to offer to artists looking for a new sound. I'm personally a huge Fender amp fan. I love traditional spring reverb, with nothing more than volume and an attenuator on the tube for more drive at lower volumes. It would be cool to have a true custom boutique amp.

I was a Hartke artist for a while. I had an 8×10 cab built to the specs the first cab was built by for Jaco. That big refrigerator is my go-to when it comes to Blues and Jazz. The tone is super clean, and my Hartke head is a vintage style that only breaks up if forced.

So now, how can I help you sell more amps than you have time to build? I have a few ideas.

Sent from my [trashcan S5] using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Revvv

Infinity Poster
Established Member
I don't play anymore. Arthritis hit when I was 22, and that was a long time ago. But I do build tube amplifiers. Just finished another one tonight! Clone of a Fender Champ from 1957 with a couple of additions: added a choke, copper foil shielding throughout the chassis and separate ground buses for power section and preamp section. One knob: on/off/volume. With a Ted Weber 10" speaker, tweed finished cabinet. No effects. Only does one thing: sound awesome!

My third new build since I went legit, and I've got more orders than I can handle even for what I'm asking for these.
...and pics are needed.

James Snover

The Ill-Advised Physics Amplification Co
Established Member
Premium Member
James, we need to talk. I would love to learn more about your builds. I would also like to track one and check out the tone.

Who knows, you may have the next Dr Z, Mesa, or Twin Reverb on your hands?

I would love a custom built tube amp to offer to artists looking for a new sound. I'm personally a huge Fender amp fan. I love traditional spring reverb, with nothing more than volume and an attenuator on the tube for more drive at lower volumes. It would be cool to have a true custom boutique amp.

I was a Hartke artist for a while. I had an 8×10 cab built to the specs the first cab was built by for Jaco. That big refrigerator is my go-to when it comes to Blues and Jazz. The tone is super clean, and my Hartke head is a vintage style that only breaks up if forced.

So now, how can I help you sell more amps than you have time to build? I have a few ideas.

I appreciate that. I'm just now getting everything organized, so right now I have a minimum 8-week lead time. It takes 4 weeks just to gather everything together. A Champ can be built in a weekend, but something like a Princeton Reverb with Tremolo takes at least two weeks of solder-time. And I have to sell one to finance the next. With all that is involved right now starting the business, I do not want to get overbooked and cause even more delays in delivery. It's a one-man shop: me. I have to charge half up-front, non-refundable; and half on acceptance. And sadly, they are expensive. Just no getting around the need for a lot of copper and iron with a tube amp. What has so far been my biggest happy surprise is: they're selling! People seem to want hand-made, point-to-point wired tube amps that look and sound great.

I can get some pics up this evening.

Revvv

Infinity Poster
Established Member
I appreciate that. I'm just now getting everything organized, so right now I have a minimum 8-week lead time. It takes 4 weeks just to gather everything together. A Champ can be built in a weekend, but something like a Princeton Reverb with Tremolo takes at least two weeks of solder-time. And I have to sell one to finance the next. With all that is involved right now starting the business, I do not want to get overbooked and cause even more delays in delivery. It's a one-man shop: me. I have to charge half up-front, non-refundable; and half on acceptance. And sadly, they are expensive. Just no getting around the need for a lot of copper and iron with a tube amp. What has so far been my biggest happy surprise is: they're selling! People seem to want hand-made, point-to-point wired tube amps that look and sound great.

I can get some pics up this evening.
I'm looking forward to the pics. I'm also looking forward to a couple sound clips.

There is a market for boutique amps. Musicians are finicky creatures. We are also never pleased and always searching for something better.

James Snover

Established Member
Premium Member
I'm looking forward to the pics. I'm also looking forward to a couple sound clips.

There is a market for boutique amps. Musicians are finicky creatures. We are also never pleased and always searching for something better.

Just keep in mind, my playing doesn't even qualify as bad. So if it sounds good at all, it's the amp!

musclefan21

Established Member
So where are the videos?

I am finding out more and more that I can’t solo but do okay on rhythm guitar part.

I can only shift fast, but when it comes to moving up and down on the fretboard, I truly suck

Revvv

Infinity Poster
Established Member
So where are the videos?

I am finding out more and more that I can’t solo but do okay on rhythm guitar part.

I can only shift fast, but when it comes to moving up and down on the fretboard, I truly suck
Practice, practice, and more practice.

Every now and then I just play a major scale up and down the neck. I am not a lead guitarist by any means, but I play when I have to.

Bass is a different story. I don't know why, but I can do just about anything I want on bass. I may have watched and listened to Billy Sheehan one too many times.

prs97

Established Member
Work on chromatic exercises where you move along from string #6 down to string #1 and vice versa. Start slow and build up speed & accuracy. Then do exercises where you work down the fretboard. First fret up to 12th or so and then back down. This should help you move more efficiently along the neck.

Revvv

Infinity Poster
Established Member
Work on chromatic exercises where you move along from string #6 down to string #1 and vice versa. Start slow and build up speed & accuracy. Then do exercises where you work down the fretboard. First fret up to 12th or so and then back down. This should help you move more efficiently along the neck.
...and accept that you will be frustrated. It's all worth the effort though.

James Snover

Established Member
Premium Member
Just keep in mind, my playing doesn't even qualify as bad. So if it sounds good at all, it's the amp!
Some pics: Up first, the Champ clone:

IMG_0356.JPG
IMG_0349.JPG
IMG_0353.JPG
IMG_0362.JPG
IMG_0365.JPG

And the Princeton reverb clone:
IMG_0369.JPG
IMG_0370.JPG
IMG_0373.JPG
IMG_0375.JPG
IMG_0372.JPG

Revvv

Infinity Poster
Established Member

STAMPEDE3

SAULS BROTHER
Super Moderator
Those are cool. I'd consider picking one up for my dad. Needs to be pretty light though.

PM me a price on each of you don't want to post it publicly.

Revvv

Infinity Poster
Established Member
Those are cool. I'd consider picking one up for my dad. Needs to be pretty light though.

PM me a price on each of you don't want to post it publicly.
They aren't cheap, but after talking with James it sounds like he has a quality amp. I want to hear, and play one.

STAMPEDE3

SAULS BROTHER
Super Moderator
Pantera - Cemetery Gates solo rhythm. I wanted to turn it up much louder, but don’t wanna get evicted

I haven't played that lead since around 93 or so.
May have to go re-learn it and record it. lol

They aren't cheap, but after talking with James it sounds like he has a quality amp. I want to hear, and play one.

I thought about getting one but isn't a priority right now.

musclefan21

Established Member
I haven't played that lead since around 93 or so.
May have to go re-learn it and record it. lol

I thought about getting one but isn't a priority right now.

That will make me look retarded, but I am okay with it. I wanna see you play this. Someone who knows how to play to play it!

Users who are viewing this thread