GT500 produced well into 2010? Looks that way!

beabout

Established Member
so third quarter 06 ford sold 21% more vehicles than third quarter 07. that was what i wanted to know. cool!:beer: is there net revenue down too?

Yes, they have cut loose Jaguar, Land Rover, and Astin Martin and are looking for a way to get rid of Volvo. The Volvo issue maybe somewhat harded to part with since alot of the brands, Ford & Volvo, engineering is meshed together at the design level.

The change in name from the 500 back to the older Taurus was another step to increase sales. Word is also that Ford is going to trim its dealership structure or a least modify its relationships.

All of this to help them bring the stocks out of the junk bond status it holds.

So, it makes some sense that if the GT500 is a unit for unit profit maker it will continue to be produced at the same or increased production level. Ford does not care about making the vehicle so collectors can make it into some kind of personal investment account (401k).

Source: Wall Street Journal, Business Weekly, Detroit Free Press.

Last edited by a moderator:

1bad04cobra

Established Member
they have not yet. if the camaro is anywhere near 35k it will be a stripped/no option. or about 10k less than a mustang gt. add on hid's, hud, leather, stereo, nav i bet it will be north of 40k.
i bet the challenger will cost more than the charger. msrp on a no option charger is almost 39k(38993) after gas tax. the challenger to get will be the 6.4, equal to or more than the gt500.

my best estimates, no options
09 mustang gt - 27k
09 camaro v8 - 36k
09 challenger 6.1 - 41k
09 gt500 - 45k
09 challenger 6.4 45k

Yeah ,that sounds a little more realistic:beer:

Ry_Trapp0

Condom Model
Established Member
they have not yet. if the camaro is anywhere near 35k it will be a stripped/no option. or about 10k less than a mustang gt. add on hid's, hud, leather, stereo, nav i bet it will be north of 40k.
i bet the challenger will cost more than the charger. msrp on a no option charger is almost 39k(38993) after gas tax. the challenger to get will be the 6.4, equal to or more than the gt500.

my best estimates, no options
09 mustang gt - 27k
09 camaro v8 - 36k
09 challenger 6.1 - 41k
09 gt500 - 45k
09 challenger 6.4 45k
so your saying that, even though GM has said that the camaro will be priced "competitivly" to the mustang, that a base model V8 will cost $9K more? i think your estimates are off by a bit.
Yes, they have cut loose Jaguar, Land Rover, and Astin Martin and are looking for a way to get rid of Volvo. The Volvo issue maybe somewhat harded to part with since alot of the brands, Ford & Volvo, engineering is meshed together at the design level.
everything ive read has said that ford hasnt made any plans to put volvo up for sale but they would consider offers(or something to that extent). i wish they would have kept atleast jaguar. atleast we know they wont be selling their shares in mazda though, mazda has taken off since ford bought into them. at this point, who knows what they will be doing though.

Stripe Delete

Crazy SVT Poser
Established Member
Are they going with that frenchie look in 2009? Pretty big facelift if so, or are the just going to put some scoops, restyle the wheels and keep the overall look through 2010?

I love the Challenger, think the Camaros are fug.

Ry_Trapp0

Condom Model
Established Member
the frontend will somewhat resemble the giugiaro concept(italian, by the way):
mustang-face-2.jpg

mustang-compare-1.jpg

mustangs-compare-3.jpg

(all were stolen from winding road, if you couldnt guess)

Last edited:

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
so your saying that, even though GM has said that the camaro will be priced "competitivly" to the mustang, that a base model V8 will cost $9K more? i think your estimates are off by a bit.

there are a couple if's and a bunch of assumptions to my estimates. yes my estimates are very competitively priced to the mustangs. but lets ask some questions first.

will the camaro be available in 2 v6's(like the new cts)?
how much does horsepower cost?

now the comparisons(with my estimated camaro prices)...
08 v6 mustang 20k
09 v6(250hp) camaro 22k
09 v6(300hp) camaro 25k
08 mustang gt 27k
08 mustang bullitt 34k
09 v8 camaro 36k
08 mustang gt500 44k
10 s/cv8(550) camaro 46k

would it be fair to say the 300hp camaro be about the same price as the 300hp mustang? and would this be deemed competitive?

mustang lineup 20-44k
camaro lineup 22-46k

i think that is very competitive!:rockon:

Ry_Trapp0

Condom Model
Established Member
i think its safe to assume that ordinary guys looking for a pony car are gonna go V8, regardless of how much the V6 makes. i also think its safe to assume that ford isnt ignorant and will actually up the power of the GT instead of keeping it at 300hp for 5 whole years, especially with the new competition. its not like the 4.6 is maxed out at 300hp in NA form. i guess those are good estimates if you want to compare a car thats sold tomorrow to a car that will begin production 2-3 years from now, but im positive it wont look like that come production time.

cobra_4

#PITS
Established Member
A loaded $47K 2009 GT500 (price increases assumed) with a 5.4l supercharged 500 HP engine in a 5 year old body does not match up well with a $35K 430 HP 6.2l NA Camaro or a $35K 425 HP 6.1l NA Challenger both new to the market. Ford is going to have to have to offer a $33-35K 400 HP 5.4l (at least) NA Mustang to keep up.

But who is to say you are going to be able to buy a Challenger or Camaro for sticker price? I haven't been following the camaro very closely but in the latest edition of Mopar Restoration Guide they are saying that the first year Challengers are going to be a very limited run and are going to be near impossible to get.

Captain Beyond

Established Member
i think its safe to assume that ordinary guys looking for a pony car are gonna go V8, regardless of how much the V6 makes. i also think its safe to assume that ford isnt ignorant and will actually up the power of the GT instead of keeping it at 300hp for 5 whole years, especially with the new competition. its not like the 4.6 is maxed out at 300hp in NA form. i guess those are good estimates if you want to compare a car thats sold tomorrow to a car that will begin production 2-3 years from now, but im positive it wont look like that come production time.

+1 :thumbsup:

ShelbyGuy

Steers With the Throttle
Established Member
Eating a steady diet of government cheese, and liv
The OPEC embargo was not Carter's fault, and the rise in prices before that was due to the fact that Nixon simply HAD to let go of the price controls on oil.

Insurance rates killed the musclecar, not fuel prices, anyway.

ObOnTopic: I'll take a strippo '09 at sticker and 0%, thanks!

Although I am pleased to hear that...it may be "too little- too late" as rising gas prices are going to kill what the "Dems" don't kill in 08. I saw the 70s kill muscle cars as Carter came in..

I was/am looking for a Shelby but I don't think I will get over the dealer gouging and greed that I have seen on this car

firemanmike

FIREMANMIKE
Established Member
So I guess this is going to up a Terminators value, seeing as how they're going to make the GT500 for 5 years??? Who would've thought the Terminator was going to end up the "limited production" car???

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
So I guess this is going to up a Terminators value, seeing as how they're going to make the GT500 for 5 years??? Who would've thought the Terminator was going to end up the "limited production" car???

maybe in 40 years when there are only 3k left!

no where near the 69 trans am production status. how many are left from the 689 produced 39 years ago??????

LR 01 Cobra

Founding Member
Established Member
Way back when, way before the car was even announced, I remember reading a post saying that the car would be a 3 year run with maybe a 4th based on how well the car was selling. Who was that guy that posted that! LOL It was LR something!LOL

Purvis

VMP TVS Power
Established Member
Way back when, way before the car was even announced, I remember reading a post saying that the car would be a 3 year run with maybe a 4th based on how well the car was selling. Who was that guy that posted that! LOL It was LR something!LOL

Yup, I remember you posting that over a year ago.. And I also posted the same thing over a year ago..
Ford was always planning for 3 years and possibly a 4th.:beer:

Ford ALWAYS openly stated at their press conferences on the car, that the GT500's were being "built to meet demand" and that "there would be a Shelby for everyone who wants one" and that they were "NOT limited edition":read:

The dealers are the ones who went around spreading lies and propaganda. Many of whom did it on this very forum. And many of whom I have fought with on this very forum.:cuss:

Last edited:

drmustang

Banned
Yup, I remember you posting that over a year ago.. And I also posted the same thing over a year ago..
Ford was always planning for 3 years and possibly a 4th.:beer:

Ford ALWAYS openly stated at their press conferences on the car, that the GT500's were being "built to meet demand" and that "there would be a Shelby for everyone who wants one" and that they were "NOT limited edition":read:

The dealers are the ones who went around spreading lies and propaganda. Many of whom did it on this very forum. And many of whom I have fought with on this very forum.:cuss:

You are 100% correct. The retailers bent, shaped, and exagerated to meet their need to create a false sense of scarcity in the minds of potential buyers. Let none of us forget this fact. Keep this in mind as you consider the purchase of this car from this point forward.

Streetpwr281

Established Member
You guys act like you've discovered the cure for cancer or something - LOL! So Ford builds the GT-500 in 09' and 10'...great news for Mustang enthusiast everywhere. I bought mine for MSRP using the 0% promotion back in July and already have it making 640rwhp/590rwtq and enjoy it as often as possible. Cool air is coming into town here in Florida soon which is the PERFECT time to enjoy a supercharged car like this.

If you want to own a GT-500 proceed with your due diligence by shopping dealerships throughout your region and you'll find the right price. Car is worth owning today! I'd hate to be waiting another 12 - 18 months before I had mine.

Good luck to all!

ShelbyGuy

Steers With the Throttle
Established Member
Eating a steady diet of government cheese, and liv
24,000 units can hardly be called 'limited production.' Yeah, I realize its all relative. If you want a 'limited production' SVT product, get yourself a 93 Cobra R. :pepper:

chuckstang

Established Member
They build what 250k GT Mustangs and year and now they may build 7-10k units for 3 to 4 years for the GT500

I still call that limited production, rare, whatever you want to call it. It is no different than any other Cobra, they build them almost every year in limited numbers. NOTHING HAS CHANGED!
They did not build the Cobra in 00 and 02 but they had the 00 R in 2000 so SVT takes a break here and there as the body changes and power plants advance and change.

Im out there driving the wheels off mine while everyone else is still on boards like this bitching and screaming I told you so!
Well where is yours? Mine is in my garage :D Don't hate

Users who are viewing this thread