GT500 or Supercharged 2012???

ARC

Established Member
I wondered this too. When I found out the prices of 2009-2012 GT's I though I made a bit of a mistake getting my '14 GT premium. I'm not 100% sure if I made the right decision, but there's no going back now. I do like my car though.

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
OP, ask how many people here have owned an iron block GT500, then bought a new 5.0, instead of another GT500. For the record, my 2009 GT500 was almost 700 RWHP.

Those are who you should listen to. Why?

14 mpg around the city grandma driving, that's why.

Feels like a tank in the corners, that's why.

While racing: lesser cars are performing the same, equal power cars are beating you, that's why.

C6 Z06 with heads/cam/intake/tune are stomping mud holes in your ass. That's why!

No matter how optimized the suspension is, you are spinning in first and second gear on the street, that's why.

You are asking challengers to give you 60 mph ricer rolls to compete, that's why.

If you are a drag or dig racer, the auto in the new 5.0 is NO joke, that's why.

If you are a roll street racer, the auto with select shift is NO joke, that's why.

No offense, but anyone who wants an iron block 2007-2010 GT500 instead of the 5.0 is ignorant to the fact. I guarantee you, my 2014 GT with an 11:1 Aluminator, twin turbos, and return style fuel system is going to smoke 98% of every GT500 on the street. That's why!

Last edited:

96juicedGT

Established Member
If I picked up the 2012 GT....What would you guys recommend for a blower choice. Looking online at AmericanMuscle and Lethal Performance. Anyone running the Roush kits? The Roush TVS kits look good.

Zemedici

Established Member
If I picked up the 2012 GT....What would you guys recommend for a blower choice. Looking online at AmericanMuscle and Lethal Performance. Anyone running the Roush kits? The Roush TVS kits look good.

My old dealership installed a Roush kit on a '12 auto, i believe he made high 5s with a few supporting mods.

Was in a few weeks later, said he wanted more. Wasnt that impressed. Only experience I have. :shrug: :beer:

Zemedici

Established Member
OP, ask how many people here have owned an iron block GT500, then bought a new 5.0, instead of another GT500. For the record, my 2009 GT500 was almost 700 RWHP.

Those are who you should listen to. Why?

14 mpg around the city grandma driving, that's why.

Feels like a tank in the corners, that's why.

While racing: lesser cars are performing the same, equal power cars are beating you, that's why.

C6 Z06 with heads/cam/intake/tune are stomping mud holes in your ass. That's why!

No matter how optimized the suspension is, you are spinning in first and second gear on the street, that's why.

You are asking challengers to give you 60 mph ricer rolls to compete, that's why.

If you are a drag or dig racer, the auto in the new 5.0 is NO joke, that's why.

If you are a roll street racer, the auto with select shift is NO joke, that's why.

No offense, but anyone who wants an iron block 2007-2010 GT500 instead of the 5.0 is ignorant to the fact. I guarantee you, my 2014 GT with an 11:1 Aluminator, twin turbos, and return style fuel system is going to smoke 98% of every GT500 on the street. That's why!

to be fair, H/C/I z's beat 99.9% of mustangs....ha they always have.

11_Ingot5.0

Established Member
I love my GT of course I would love to have a 13/14 instead of an 11 but if u want like 700rwhp its it seems weird to me to build your engine n spending a decent amount of money n its just a regular GT that u see everywhere minus whats under the hood

When u see a GT500 it just looks good

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
My old dealership installed a Roush kit on a '12 auto, i believe he made high 5s with a few supporting mods.

Was in a few weeks later, said he wanted more. Wasnt that impressed. Only experience I have. :shrug: :beer:

Power is a drug, you always want more, no matter how much you have.

nonliberal

Established Member

I have and like the VMP TVS. Its basically a modded Roush TVS, but it is capable of 800+ HP depending on pulley. The only issue I have with it is getting traction.

ArabianOak

Established Member
IMG_1583-1.jpg

nsty4vlve

Got Boost?
Established Member
I was wanting to trade my 2011 5.0 for a gt500 but I would not buy a 2010 ever those iron blocks kill those cars. I would get a 2011 or 2012 with aluminium block its 100 lbs lighter then the cast iron also most stock 2010 gt500 are around 480-490 rwhp and the 2011 is 500-510 and they build better power easier so I wouldn't touch that 2010 if you can swing the price of a 11 go for it otherwise get the 5.0

Justin@VMP

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Ok, so I had an vmp tvs ' ed 800rwhp 07 GT500 since 07, I recently sold it, awesome car for its era. But with all the drawbacks mentioned.

My wife's 11 GT Auto with a TVS, stupid fast and light, I still don't think anyone has gone as fast as is with a stock engine and stock trans down to the converter, 9.79 @ 140.

I got my 12 boss over two years ago, light and quick up to about 80, but slow after that, doesn't pull like a Shelby. I fixed that with a VMP TVS kit. Now, Fing all cake, you can have it and eat it up in the corners AND straights. The trans is probably the only bad thing but mine has not gone south yet.

Our 13 gt500, bad Fricking arse car all around, 680-700rwhp with cats/stock exhaust and 21-22mpg on a cross country trip to MI. Being a tuner /fabricator /business owner I can appreciate all the engineering ford packed into this car, heck, some of the engineers that worked on trinity do work for me too, they are the best. It handles better than a boss and brakes like mad.

I tell people you buy a GT500 because you want, need, or must have the best flagship mustang.

You buy a 5.0 because you don't want to blow the bank account and want to suprise the heck out of people. The 5oh is actually a better engine.

ARC

Established Member
Great post, Justin. You must be making some nice money to afford all that stuff. I want to be like you one day.. :pepper:

What is so good about the coyote motor in the 5.0 mustangs that make the 5.0's so good in comparison to the GT500 (assuming you don't have the money for a '13-'14 GT500 - a sick ride indeed).

Justin@VMP

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
LOL, if I just had more time to drive them, but my job requires I have them.

The head is way better and the rpm capability that comes along with that.

chefron50

Established Member
I would look into a slightly used boss,already got the forged internals for the supercharger,better handleing without a doubt,lightweight and you could pick up one if you really loked hard enough for $35,000 with a warranty.

Coyote'13

"He gone"
Established Member
I wouldn't pick up a 2010 gt500. I'm sure you can find a nice used 2013 GT. I think they look alot better than the 2011-12.

Users who are viewing this thread