Got yelled at lol

Katy TX5.0

Established Member
Point is a simple "get your hands out" would've worked if anything needed to be said. What harm would it have caused to let it go? Think about it from that POV.

As for my case, I didn't choose to break any rules. My UOD for that time was what I was wearing. There's no rule in the UCMJ about walking a straight line back to your barracks if in boots and utes. Going to the PX with grass stains on them is a different story. This was after being released for the day and we both know no one says anything to those standing around smoking wearing the same thing.

You did read me wrong. I was talking about individual guys not being problems, not whole units. I did say "some" back home which would mean that most were justified. Maybe if I stayed in longer to make E-6 and up I would've seen things different.

Too40gawlf

Banned
Why not have both in the same individual?

Because many times, the mentality that leads to the first, is diametrically opposed to the mentality that leads to the second. Its like asking why not have a punter who can function as a defensive end? What you and your buddies in this thread dont understand or confuse is that Im not arguing for a complete disregard of customs and courtesies or regs or traditions, Im pointing out that most quality Leaders know when and what to jump in someone's ass for and what to not make a big deal out of. The little persons that walk around looking for Marines or Joes to yell at have deficiencies in their character - whether its because their wife is a whore, they have a small penis, they lack intelligence, or are afraid of showing their incompetence so they hide behind the enforcement of regs.

It is a leaders job to coach and mentor our soldiers/marines not just in combat proficiency, but professionalism, respect, tradition etc. Just focusing on the combat aspect is bad for the long term. So a SNCO yells at you for having your hands in your pockets so what? GTF over it. Better yet, you and your buddies should help police up each other so you don't get ****ed with.

Not quite. A Leader's job is to direct his troops to accomplish the objective/mission. Second, a Leader takes care of his troops. That means if you got back from the field last night and your weapons are secure and clean, and everything is squared away, you can release your guys for libo - not sit around dicking around waiting for some bullshit inspection or holding up libo just to **** with them.

You always teach and lead by example. You correct your guys in a manner they learn not in a manner to put paper on them. There's responsibility in that - that means you better demonstrate absolute proficiency in your MOS, you better be strong on a hump, and you need to always be a PT stud. You are a SME in your MOS, a high level PTer, and never violate your integrity. However, instead of NJPing your Marines, you take the effort to 'correct' them. If correcting them requires 20 mnutes of pushups, mountain climbers, and spider jumps on the side of a hill, so be it. Thats better than putting paper on a kid. I experienced and lived it from both ends and I know it works.

I have a soldier (PFC) who is a pain in my ass while we are in garrison but he is on top of his shit in the field....

...because his technical and tactical proficiency is not enough to be labeled a good soldier.

No, you dont have a soldier, you have a shitbag. Your above statements are contradictory. Dont compare the type of individual Im talking about to some shitbag you put up with in the Army.

Katy TX5.0

Established Member
Couldn't possibly be that you act like hot shit when away from your unit.

-signed a POG

I actually didn't care what people thought. I was glad to be home. All I wanted was to pt and stay off anyone's radar. I don't think all pogs are db's. The morning I got back from A-stan I was walking to my brother's POG shop to get my car wearing very wrinkly desert cammies and some Msgt. started to say something about the way I looked but caught himself and asked how long I'd been back. When I said about an hour he shook my hand and said welcome home. I'll never forget that kindness. FTR, I did dig my wrinkle free greens out for my next day at work.

Mach1USMC

SVT Powered
Established Member
Point is a simple "get your hands out" would've worked if anything needed to be said. What harm would it have caused to let it go? Think about it from that POV.

As for my case, I didn't choose to break any rules. My UOD for that time was what I was wearing. There's no rule in the UCMJ about walking a straight line back to your barracks if in boots and utes. Going to the PX with grass stains on them is a different story. This was after being released for the day and we both know no one says anything to those standing around smoking wearing the same thing.

You did read me wrong. I was talking about individual guys not being problems, not whole units. I did say "some" back home which would mean that most were justified. Maybe if I stayed in longer to make E-6 and up I would've seen things different.

All I have to say is as an NCO you should have known better. Since you are a Marine you should know what the MCO 1020.34G is as well as the McBul 1020. Local and unit regs also apply. But anywhere I've been if you are in your workspace, doing PT (to include going to and from), or doing police call boots and utes is fine. Under any other circumstances, to include visiting someone one bks away you stand a good chance of being talked to (at)- which is exactly what happened to you. You ****ed up and got caught pure and simple, to make matters worse as an NCO you should have known better. As an NCO you are supposed to stand up for the institution, not tear it down. Good on you that you did multiple combat tours, guess what, so did I. Four as a matter of fact. Does that give me some type of license to walk around disrespting the uniform, or my peers, or the subordinates that look to me to uphold the integrity of the institution? There is a bigger picture here other than your petty arguments about how since you went to combat (like many of us did) so therefore the rules don't apply to you.

Last edited:

jerrad

RIP Gump
Established Member
I think you have to pick your battles.
With my afsc you basically shut up and color when around everyone else. Once you're around only EOD techs everyone goes by first names and most of the formality goes out the window.

Everyone knows the regs, if you go outside of them you know what can happen. I don't think having my hands in my pocket makes me a shit bag but I know that I am in the wrong if I have them there. To me it's not worth making my job look bad by getting reamed out for keeping my hands warm.

Mach1USMC

SVT Powered
Established Member
With my afsc you basically shut up and color when around everyone else. Once you're around only EOD techs everyone goes by first names and most of the formality goes out the window.

Everyone knows the regs, if you go outside of them you know what can happen. I don't think having my hands in my pocket makes me a shit bag but I know that I am in the wrong if I have them there. To me it's not worth making my job look bad by getting reamed out for keeping my hands warm.

Situational awareness goes a long way.....

clbailey

Established Member

Funny, because thats how every other afsc works. Unless your shop chief is "that" guy.

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member

LOL EOD Tech. I am surprised you guys EVER have any formaility with what you go through. HUGE respect man. I have a friend that taught at the EOD school in Indian Head. Made frieds with some of the guys that were in balad when I was ... A job I would Def. want if I were in. I love blowing shit up.

Mach1USMC

SVT Powered
Established Member
LOL EOD Tech. I am surprised you guys EVER have any formaility with what you go through. HUGE respect man. I have a friend that taught at the EOD school in Indian Head. Made frieds with some of the guys that were in balad when I was ... A job I would Def. want if I were in. I love blowing shit up.

No doubt- the 2 groups if people who never got eff'd with on ship were SEALS and EOD. They basically did whatever they wanted, when they wanted.

I was going through the process of lat moving and getting to EOD school, but when my wife found out it was the most deployed MOS in the Corps at that time she said it was either the Corps or her..... I'm still married! Lol - still have a few buddies in that MOS. they do some badass shit:rockon:

Last edited:

jerrad

RIP Gump
Established Member

Thanks man. Yeah, I would pay to blow stuff up, turns out I get paid to do it. lol

jerrad

RIP Gump
Established Member
No doubt- the 2 groups if people who never got eff'd with on ship were SEALS and EOD. They basically did whatever they wanted, when they wanted.

I was going through the process of lat moving and getting to EOD school, but when my wife found out it was the most deployed MOS in the Corps at that time she said it was either the Corps or her..... I'm still married! Lol - still have a few buddies in that MOS. they do some badass shit:rockon:

For the most part people figure we're a little off our rocker so we don't get much flak for anything. Basically we're always on time and no one bugs us. lol
I had a few Marines in my class, it's a great career but you're right about the deployment schedule.

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member

Hahahahaha I feel your pain. I had a chance to go to afghanistan during the soviet occupation to work at what was left of the embassy. Boss told if they funded the job, it was mine if I wanted it. Went home and talked to the wife and after thinking about it for a couple of days she said "I understand why you want to go and won't stop you, but I can't guarentee that me and the baby will still be here when you get back". I should have taken that as a sign and gone anyway since we got divorced a few years later.

ssj4sadie

Established Member
Premium Member

Same basic situation here also. Would have loved EOD, but I love my wife more. Unfortunately I hate my job.

charba951

BOOSTTD
Established Member
Jeez...All wanted from this thread was some stories of when vets or currently enlisted guys got yelled at. Possibly some funny ones. Oh well...

Derailment.jpg

jerrad

RIP Gump
Established Member
I usually just got smoked for being in the immediate area, yelling was involved but I was on my face, on my back, or doing burpees so the yelling wasn't really important at the time.

97desertCobra

Procharged!
Established Member
Not quite. A Leader's job is to direct his troops to accomplish the objective/mission. Second, a Leader takes care of his troops. That means if you got back from the field last night and your weapons are secure and clean, and everything is squared away, you can release your guys for libo - not sit around dicking around waiting for some bullshit inspection or holding up libo just to **** with them.

You always teach and lead by example. You correct your guys in a manner they learn not in a manner to put paper on them. There's responsibility in that - that means you better demonstrate absolute proficiency in your MOS, you better be strong on a hump, and you need to always be a PT stud. You are a SME in your MOS, a high level PTer, and never violate your integrity. However, instead of NJPing your Marines, you take the effort to 'correct' them. If correcting them requires 20 mnutes of pushups, mountain climbers, and spider jumps on the side of a hill, so be it. Thats better than putting paper on a kid. I experienced and lived it from both ends and I know it works.

No, you dont have a soldier, you have a shitbag. Your above statements are contradictory. Dont compare the type of individual Im talking about to some shitbag you put up with in the Army.

Your nitpicking at the top just for the sake of arguing with me. "My two basic responsibilities will always be uppermost in my mind—accomplishment of my mission and the welfare of my soldiers." -NCO Creed. I'm well aware of this, but there is a lot more to being a leader than just those two lines which is what I was getting into but you didn't get the point.

The way you correct someone had no real relevance to the discussion, be it on paper, chewed out, smoke session etc. You were getting bent simply because you didn't like POG's correcting you on simple little shit in garrison.

My two statements were anything but contradictory, I just think you read it wrong. He is technically and tactically proficient and is very motivated when we are in the field getting dirty. In the field he is a beast and a great asset, but in garrison he is a pain in the ass. He needs to work on his personal life but if he can get that shit squared away he has a lot of potential.

Katy TX5.0

Established Member
All I have to say is as an NCO you should have known better. Since you are a Marine you should know what the MCO 1020.34G is as well as the McBul 1020. Local and unit regs also apply. But anywhere I've been if you are in your workspace, doing PT (to include going to and from), or doing police call boots and utes is fine. Under any other circumstances, to include visiting someone one bks away you stand a good chance of being talked to (at)- which is exactly what happened to you. You ****ed up and got caught pure and simple, to make matters worse as an NCO you should have known better. As an NCO you are supposed to stand up for the institution, not tear it down. Good on you that you did multiple combat tours, guess what, so did I. Four as a matter of fact. Does that give me some type of license to walk around disrespting the uniform, or my peers, or the subordinates that look to me to uphold the integrity of the institution? There is a bigger picture here other than your petty arguments about how since you went to combat (like many of us did) so therefore the rules don't apply to you.

I don't tear down the USMC. I wouldn't be where I am without it. I don't think any harsh experience gives anyone the right to do whatever they want. I was kind of getting that from you before you came out and said it. I just don't think walking a few yards off a straight line back to my barracks is such a grevious mistake. I already stated that going other places would be wrong. My mantra was picking which battles to fight. Disrespect to superiors, DUI's, bar fights, commiting crimes on base or out in town were things to run someone up the flag pole for.

I'm also acknowledged had I stayed in as long as you my attitude probably would've been different. So in a way I'm not saying you're wrong. I also spent two years at 8th and I getting screwed with hardcore and saw good Marines snap under the constant torment. Maybe if I hadn't done two back-to-back deployments at the end of my enlistment I would've thought different. I was just physically and emotionally spent. I was never one to really yell and cause a scene. I found letting someone in the wrong know how dissapointing they were worked better.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread