Gave a Z06 owner his first run

joegt38

Established Member
joegt38 said:
If you don't remember "GNXS" posted a video of his whipple running an 11.2 @ 127 with a bad launch, if the #s are off sorry Im tryin to remember. His buddy ran a 11.7 @ 120 with just a pulley and normal bolt-on Cobra (no port I believe) then a new Z06 that hooked up very well and hit every gear perfect, he pulled an 11.7 @ 125. He had posted the video on one of the many C6Z06 threads.... In the 1/4 a properly driven pullied Cobra can hang on DRs a properly driven ported Cobra would be a drivers race also of course giving it to the Z06 from a roll but I myself think the Z0 will have more then its hands full with a properly set up KB or Whipple and a good driver. Don't get me wrong I love the new Z0 and what that thing can do stock is just crazy too bad the vette is the only thing chevy got going for it these days.
BTW you must not have read my post ^^^^ I'll try to dig up the videos...

joegt38

Established Member
Lankhoss said:
The new Z does take some getting used to. Namely, for people like me, I've never had a car with this much power ;-)

But the biggest thing that takes getting used to is the gearing. The sound of the car is different, so if you are the type of person that generally shifts according to engine/exhaust noise, this car is VERY tricky. Also, I don't think people are used to winding 1st gear to 62mph, and 2nd gear to 93mph in a stock car. This is going to be especially awkward for the C5 Z06 owners. I've gotten a much better feel for my car after driving it for a bit, and I can tell you that I can run it TONS better now than I could two months ago.
Beautiful car and nice color too :rockon: :beer:

RandomTask

Banned
joegt38 said:
Sorry but a 630rwhp Cobra should be trapping more then 127, much more know guys trapping 127 with 550rwhp that 80 more rwhp so somethis wrong with that Cobra.

the cobra is a vert, and the guy weighs north of 200lbs, so that has something to do with it.

probably should have mentioned that.

joegt38

Established Member
RandomTask said:
the cobra is a vert, and the guy weighs north of 200lbs, so that has something to do with it.

probably should have mentioned that.
I guess it could but still with that kinda power seems low, who knows the conditions tho....

lemosley01

Right Wing Conspirator
Established Member
Lankhoss said:
The new Z does take some getting used to. Namely, for people like me, I've never had a car with this much power ;-)

But the biggest thing that takes getting used to is the gearing. The sound of the car is different, so if you are the type of person that generally shifts according to engine/exhaust noise, this car is VERY tricky. Also, I don't think people are used to winding 1st gear to 62mph, and 2nd gear to 93mph in a stock car. This is going to be especially awkward for the C5 Z06 owners. I've gotten a much better feel for my car after driving it for a bit, and I can tell you that I can run it TONS better now than I could two months ago.

We're used to motors that rev high. :poke:

Squabbin

Established Member
LG has a new c6 Z06 with just their new cams and longtubes and it made about 550WHP so with those 2 things alone a whipple or KB Cobra is gonna have some serious trouble keeping up...

racebronco2

Established Member
when you wind 1st to 62, 2nd to 93 and 3rd to 125 .... i am assuming this is at the 7000rpm redline ... wouldn't that make the car a little slower since your power peak is at 6300rpm ... yes it would make 0-60 and the 1/4 a little quicker since you really don't have to shift

DrZacharyus

Banned
RAZRS EDGE i think ive seen some videos of your car doing a fly-by and a massive burnout...if so sick car!

i would be scared winding 1st to 60 mph lol and 2nd to almost 100
my gears are kinda short
1st 40mph
2nd 70mph
3rd 105
4th 135-140
5th 160

50 BMG

Socialpath media
Established Member
RandomTask said:
A pullied/exhaust cobra would get dusted, especially on the highway all drivers being equal. Its a fact.

A KB cobra on my local board makes 630rwhp SAE, and traps 127mph.

Last time ive seen a new Z run, the driver went 11.5 @ 127 stock. So even a higher powered cobra would make it a drivers race.

Thats a -weak- driver in the KB. My ported eaton car makes 530 rwhp on 91 octane and ran 12.4 @ 124 MPH on a 2.4 60 ft. That run was at firebird in phoenix; one of the worst tracks in the nation, in 90 degree weather.

I'd also love to know where all this endless aerodynamic superiority of the C6Z is. I really hate to magazine race but I guess it's better than blind ignorance. Car and Driver reported a drag coefficient of .34 on the C6Z (compare that to .26 on the C5Z and .28 on the standard c6 :rollseyes ), a frontal area of 75.9 inches, and a stock ride height of 49 inches. 03/04 Cobras have a C/d of .33, and a frontal area of 73.1 inches, and stock ride height of 52.5 inches. Which seems more aerodynamic again?

I think the fanboy base would be shocked to see the result of a 3200 pound ported eaton terminator run against a C6Z. Even with stock ride heights :poke:

Last edited:

mustangbee

Established Member
50 BMG said:
I'd also love to know where all this endless aerodynamic superiority of the C6Z is. I really hate to magazine race but I guess it's better than blind ignorance. Car and Driver reported a drag coefficient of .34 on the C6Z (compare that to .26 on the C5Z and .28 on the standard c6 :rollseyes ), a frontal area of 75.9 inches, and a stock ride height of 49 inches. 03/04 Cobras have a C/d of .33, and a frontal area of 73.1 inches, and stock ride height of 52.5 inches. Which seems more aerodynamic again?

hmm that just says more for the c6z

50 BMG

Socialpath media
Established Member
mustangbee said:
hmm that just says more for the c6z

RandomTask said:
yea, i was wondering where he was trying to go with that.....

OK, we need bottles of the reading and smart drugs for you 2, lmfao. For f*cks sake...seriously.

Again, read slow and compare the frontal area and drag coefficients of the C6Z and the cobra.

Rated///M said:
With headers and Cams on the C6 Z06 is going to be unstoppable.

Please... Don't come in here and try to make us drink your kool-aid with you.

Rated///M said:
Not to mention a SC coming out...

What company is "coming out" with a supercharger for this particular engine?

We've all seen what happened to a LS7 on a power adder (nitrous), yet get this tidbit from NX's website FAQ.

nitrous express said:
Q. Are there any dangers or things to stay away from while using nitrous?

A. Of course, NX recommends that no more than an additional 20 horsepower per cylinder be used on a stock engine, with a stock fuel pump. Always be sure you are using clean, uncontaminated nitrous. Also, be sure you have the highest octane fuel available, I.E. 93 octane premium for, stock compression, street cars and the highest motor octane fuel available for competition type vehicles.

Notice that 20 hp per cylinder rating on a stock engine? So unless there was a crap install or bad quality nitrous...LS7 can't handle it on a stock engine...and we all know how much LXX's love nitrous :whine:

Bored---> :bored: and waiting until the next power adder LS7 gives it a try. Hopefully they'll log their miles...

Anyways, I'd love to know who is going to make a zero PSI blower for these engines and start hearing about it when the stock LS7's start blowing up in short order cause the owner upped the output to 3 PSI :poke:

BTW, the LS7 is a great engine.

Last edited:

mustangbee

Established Member
50 BMG said:
OK, we need bottles of the reading and smart drugs for you 2, lmfao. For f*cks sake...seriously.

i personally thought the Zs aeros were way better..i guess gearing is the sole reason its pulls so hard at high speeds..i read it correctly the first time(minus ignorant, senseless internet flaming) i know exactly what ur saying

carrrnuttt

My shit don't stink
Established Member
50 BMG said:
I really hate to magazine race but I guess it's better than blind ignorance. Car and Driver reported a drag coefficient of .34 on the C6Z (compare that to .26 on the C5Z and .28 on the standard c6 :rollseyes ), a frontal area of 75.9 inches, and a stock ride height of 49 inches. 03/04 Cobras have a C/d of .33, and a frontal area of 73.1 inches, and stock ride height of 52.5 inches. Which seems more aerodynamic again?

You DO realize why the Z has that much more coefficient of drag (Cd) than a base C6 right? It has more bodywork designed to reduce lift at speed, and to distribute the lift evenly throughout the car, so no one spot is at risk for flipping at high speeds. The C6 Z06 actually has a similar Cd as the C5 Z06, but at 186mph, it generats 1337lbs LESS lift than the C5 Z06, making it more stable, and more comfortable to drive at those speeds. I've never driven an '03-'04 Cobra approaching those speeds, but I guarantee that the Z06 will be much more comfort-inducing. A hesitant driver is a losing one, IMO.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread