Gave a Z06 owner his first run

Orange Poison

Established Member
blueangelfightr said:
I'm sorry. But I don't see a 600+ RWHP cobra vs. a 475 RWHP vette a drivers race. A weight differance isn't going to make up for 125+ hp. I think a ported eaton would be a pretty good run though.

He's right. In fact a fellow member on this board already has beaten a new Z06 with his 15lb Whipple Cobra. I forgot his username, but he owns a sweet looking DSG Cobra with a wing on the back.

I think a ported Eaton car with all the bolt-ons would give it a run....probably even edge it out.

There ya go....

Quiksilver98

This space for rent
Established Member
Rated///M said:
With headers and Cams on the C6 Z06 is going to be unstoppable. Not to mention a SC coming out...
Not to mention a TT 03/04 Cobra would give it a run for it's money also.

Last edited:

joegt38

Established Member
If you don't remember "GNXS" posted a video of his whipple running an 11.2 @ 127 with a bad launch, if the #s are off sorry Im tryin to remember. His buddy ran a 11.7 @ 120 with just a pulley and normal bolt-on Cobra (no port I believe) then a new Z06 that hooked up very well and hit every gear perfect, he pulled an 11.7 @ 125. He had posted the video on one of the many C6Z06 threads.... In the 1/4 a properly driven pullied Cobra can hang on DRs a properly driven ported Cobra would be a drivers race also of course giving it to the Z06 from a roll but I myself think the Z0 will have more then its hands full with a properly set up KB or Whipple and a good driver. Don't get me wrong I love the new Z0 and what that thing can do stock is just crazy too bad the vette is the only thing chevy got going for it these days.

Last edited:

Orr89rocz

WTF
Established Member
With headers and Cams on the C6 Z06 is going to be unstoppable. Not to mention a SC coming out...

Not to mention a TT 03/04 Cobra would give it a run for it's money also.

true, depends on boost levels, your looking at 800rwhp on a big twin turbo cobra. it seems that a 500-550rwhp will hang with a 450rwhp stock Z06.

add cam and tune and that Z06 should be 550rwhp. another hundred. so its gonna take atleast another hundred for that cobra to hang. be on the safe side, a 650rwhp cobra could hang with a z06 with a cam and tune. thats posible big KB blower boost or a shot added to some ported eaton or kb/whipple.

a twin turbo c0bra making 700-800whp will be hard to beat. a mild cam/blown Ls7 should make 700whp. lingenfelters twin turbo package is up there. should make for an interesting race. but at 3100lbs, a twin turbo Z06 making 700whp-800whp will be pretty much out of range of most streetable cobras

GTSpartan

Yield right!!!!
Established Member
racebronco2 said:
i haven't seen any c6 zo6 at the drags yet ..... the books say 12.2 -11.7 at 120-127 trap speed ... my car would dyno at about 500 hp, i have no lower pulley, no bap and stock injectors and my maf is at 4.74 volts ... see my numbers in the sig ... the only video i saw is one that ran on slicks it did 11.7 at 127mph .... the tests that i saw put the weight of the vette at 3330 lbs road and track december ... 12.2 at 120 ..... i ran on kuhmo's corrected 12.28 at 116mph ... my car weighs 3620 lbs when new ...

cobra 3620 ~ 495 = 7.31
vette 3330 ~ 455 = 7.31

so the numbers were a little inflated for the cobra and deflated for the vette ... 495hp is really not a problem for the cobra's .... if it was from a dig the higher powered cobra's would win cause most of them drive on drag radials ... from a roll it would be the vette

Not to split hairs, but a Z weighs nowhere near 3300 lbs. A new owner weighed his car with fluids and 1/2 tank and it weighed less than 3100lbs :eek: The old C5 Z's also typically weighed less than their advertised weight.

wrstdude

GM to Ford...
Established Member
GTSpartan said:
Not to split hairs, but a Z weighs nowhere near 3300 lbs. A new owner weighed his car with fluids and 1/2 tank and it weighed less than 3100lbs :eek: The old C5 Z's also typically weighed less than their advertised weight.

That's what I was thinkin...He's got an anorexic Cobra and a fat @ss Vette... :dw:

BayouVette

Far Beyond Driven
Established Member
A lot of c6 zo6's will go down because i don't think that many owners will be able to properly handle a car like that. I know it would take some getting use to for anyone. I dont see a 600rwhp car having problems taking a well well driven one down..

But for a car to be modded and have 600rwhp to take out a stock 450 +/- rwhp stock car is saying a lot.

I would like to see someone like J-rod or ranger get some seat time in one with slicks.. those guys got the c5 Z06 in the 11's stock on stock tires. it would be interesting

Last edited:

RAZRS EDGE

Stay Humble
Established Member
iCEMANSGCCC said:
Are most of the Whipples and KBs making 600RWHP?(i honestly dont know, i figured it was ~ 525-550
Umm...no. But it depends on what boost they are running. I've seen people run them @ 13psi, all the way to 24psi(2.2L version). That in general will be about a 150rwhp difference. Not all KB/Whipple cars are going to be the exact same. :kaboom:

Last edited:

SpookSVT

Established Member
Rated///M said:

I'd like to see the thing hook w/ a S/C, especially if it's a Roots/Twin screw design, and on DR's

03CobraBro

Established Member
3662 for the Cobra and 3150 for the Vette.

HP per lbs in the 400RWHP to 600RWHP range its generally going to take the Cobra approx 75 extra hp to theoretically become the lighter car in the straight line, compared to a C6 Z06.

racebronco2

Established Member
GTSpartan said:

i weighed my car at the track last and with 1/2 tank, flsc, stb, k member brace, lfp radiator, lfp h/e, oil cooler, cc plates, odessy battery and bigger sway bars and it weighs 3650 ... so how is that anorexic .... raod and track december, curb weight 3150- test weight 3330 .... yes the books could be wrong but unless you have weighed them it's just here say ... i did weigh my car at a certified nhra scale

Last edited:

roushraven

zzzZZzz
Established Member
racebronco2 said:
i weighed my car at the track last and with 1/2 tank, flsc, stb, k member brace, lfp radiator, lfp h/e, oil cooler, cc plates, odessy battery and bigger sway bars and it weighs 3650 ... so how is that anorexic .... raod and track december, curb weight 3150- test weight 3330 .... yes the books could be wrong but unless you have weighed them it's just here say ... i did weigh my car at a certified nhra scale

How much do you weigh? Add that amount to your certified weight and that will be your - test weight. (Unless the weight you showed was with you in the car which I doubt)

-RR

carrrnuttt

My shit don't stink
Established Member
racebronco2 said:

Dude. Test weight includes the driver. The driver weighed around 180 lbs during that Road & Track test.

So do the math:

3150lbs / 450rwhp = 7lbs per HP
3650lbs / 7lbs per hp = about 522rwhp to equal the C6Z's weight-to-power ratio. Considering advantages in gearing + aerodynamics, and the possiblity that the Z is even lighter than the 3150 Chevy claims, I'd say 540 to 550rwhp ought'a be good enough to stay even on a high-speed roll. I believe a member has proven this already.

Last edited:

racebronco2

Established Member
i was wrong on the weight of the vette .... did not know test weight was with driver .... i won't be making that mistake again :nono:

bunk22

Established Member
BayouVette said:
I would like to see someone like J-rod or ranger get some seat time in one with slicks.. those guys got the c5 Z06 in the 11's stock on stock tires. it would be interesting

Ranger has a new C6 Z06. Everyone is waiting to see his times when he runs. His best time with his C5 Z06, bone stock, was [email protected]. With drag radials and cai, it was [email protected] and [email protected] (DA was around -1100 to -1200').

RandomTask

Banned
A pullied/exhaust cobra would get dusted, especially on the highway all drivers being equal. Its a fact.

A KB cobra on my local board makes 630rwhp SAE, and traps 127mph.

Last time ive seen a new Z run, the driver went 11.5 @ 127 stock. So even a higher powered cobra would make it a drivers race.

Of course, im sure an 800rwhp cobra could take one on the highway.

And to put their dyno numebrs in perspective, a Z06 that came into out shop made 453rwhp bone stock. With the coolant temp sensor and air filter removed it made 461rwhp.

After we installed LG motorsports longtubes and midpipe (with cats) it made 476rwhp with the filter and temp seonsor still intact. That run was with the vette right off the street and running hotter.

Just trying to put thing sin perspective, the motors put in these cars are amazing.

And before you srat flaming, no, im not trying to take anything away from the cobra, just trying to make an informative post.

Lankhoss

Established Member
The new Z does take some getting used to. Namely, for people like me, I've never had a car with this much power ;-)

But the biggest thing that takes getting used to is the gearing. The sound of the car is different, so if you are the type of person that generally shifts according to engine/exhaust noise, this car is VERY tricky. Also, I don't think people are used to winding 1st gear to 62mph, and 2nd gear to 93mph in a stock car. This is going to be especially awkward for the C5 Z06 owners. I've gotten a much better feel for my car after driving it for a bit, and I can tell you that I can run it TONS better now than I could two months ago.

joegt38

Established Member
RandomTask said:
A pullied/exhaust cobra would get dusted, especially on the highway all drivers being equal. Its a fact.

A KB cobra on my local board makes 630rwhp SAE, and traps 127mph.

Last time ive seen a new Z run, the driver went 11.5 @ 127 stock. So even a higher powered cobra would make it a drivers race.

Of course, im sure an 800rwhp cobra could take one on the highway.

And to put their dyno numebrs in perspective, a Z06 that came into out shop made 453rwhp bone stock. With the coolant temp sensor and air filter removed it made 461rwhp.

After we installed LG motorsports longtubes and midpipe (with cats) it made 476rwhp with the filter and temp seonsor still intact. That run was with the vette right off the street and running hotter.

Just trying to put thing sin perspective, the motors put in these cars are amazing.

And before you srat flaming, no, im not trying to take anything away from the cobra, just trying to make an informative post.
Sorry but a 630rwhp Cobra should be trapping more then 127, much more know guys trapping 127 with 550rwhp that 80 more rwhp so somethis wrong with that Cobra.

Users who are viewing this thread