• Welcome to SVTPerformance!
ATTENTION!
You may experience intermittent issues while accessing the site over the next 60-90 minutes, as we perform maintenance and upgrades.

Ford's 2022 Electric F-150 Lightning | Here's the Scoop

Discussion in 'Front Page Articles' started by SID297, May 19, 2021.

1. HISSMAN

HISSMAN The Great Bearded One Staff Member Super Moderator

The Frunk is cool. But until they can do 350+ miles on a charge, they are worthless to me because some of the routes I may take going from job to job may leave me stranded.

kevinatfms and Fat Boss like this.
  2. Fat Boss

Fat Boss Well-Known Member Established Member

I think it's the agreement with Electrify America, and the loose association with ChargePoint. FWIW you can buy a TeslaTap adapter and use most of the Tesla destination chargers (like the ones in front of hotels) for free. You can't use a Tesla Supercharger.

3. Breitling

Breitling Active Member Established Member

Wonder what the battery life will be? After 4 or 5 years of use and say 50k-65k miles? Hot summers, cold winters, etc.? I know my iphone battery is crap after two years.

4. MarcSpaz

MarcSpaz Resident Trouble Maker Premium Member Established Member

With current tech... 3 to 5 years is expected battery life. Almost 100% of all batteries have reduced capability/capacity after 3 years, even if they still "work" (aka hold a charge).

5. Fat Boss

Battery life will be more like 10 to 15 years. I have had 2 plug in Fords and they both didn't see any discernable degradation after 3 years. Remember the software keeps them from being fully charged or discharged.

6. andymarkv

andymarkv Well-Known Member Established Member

This states that the "battery and electric vehicle components" will have 8 year 100K warranty

Last edited: May 20, 2021
    13COBRA likes this.
  7. Breitling

Breitling Active Member Established Member

Yeah, that's what I was getting at...what will the batteries performance be after a few years? 80% of their original capability/capacity? 90%? 95%? Just curious.

Black 2000 likes this.
  8. ViperRed91GT

ViperRed91GT Lightning Guru Established Member

I’d venture to say 95% after 100k miles if their battery tech is anything like Tesla.

Breitling likes this.
  9. 01yellercobra

01yellercobra AKA slo984now Established Member

This one kind of confuses me. How do you compare the 12 hours to a few minutes? My truck can get 400 miles to a tank unloaded. With a 5k load that drops to 300-350 depending on where I have cruise control set. If I need to stop I can be in and out of the truck stop in 10 minutes. 20 if the family is lagging. I spoke with a guy with a Tesla (don't remember the model) and he was talking about an annual trip his family takes that was about 400 miles. At about the 300 mile spot he's looking for a charging station with a minimum 45 minute charge time.

At most I'd consider it a wash if you tend to stop and eat anyway.

10. Fat Boss

The people who are most up in arms about it are the ones that for some reason or another can't get by on 300+ miles of range. That implies a LOT of driving and a LOT of driving involves going to the gas station a LOT. Let's say one goes to the gas station for ten minutes twice a week. That's 80 minutes a month and 960 minutes or 16 hours a year. That's an awful long time to spend at the gas station waiting to fill. I just find it ironic that the complain that one would have to spend time at a charger doesn't apply to spending time at the pump.

A Tesla can fast charge that remaining 100 miles in short order. Much less than 45 minutes.

I guess the moral of the story is don't be a broke dick that can only afford one vehicle. I'd never take an EV farther than a single charge would get me. I'd drive one of my other vehicles that day. The Shelby is great for trips to Vegas, even if I do stop for gas five times due to the speed at which it consumes gas on those Mexican highways between the Bay Area and there.

11. 01yellercobra

01yellercobra AKA slo984now Established Member

I guess I'm one of those that can't get around the 300 mile range. When I go to AZ it's a 300 mile trip one way. And I don't know how many charging stations are in that town. Plus if I'm towing it's now less than 300 miles. And I know there are no charging stations on the route I take. Yet.

Thankfully I only go to the gas station once a week. Although I'm not usually on empty when I go. Just one less thing to deal with during the week.

kevinatfms and Fat Boss like this.
  12. ibismojo

ibismojo Member Established Member

Battery duty cycles on cars is nothing like your phone or other personal devices, unless you're the first gen Nissan Leaf, or Tesla. Pretty much every ev manufacturer reduces the actual usable capacity on car batteries. The first gen GM Volt would never let you hit a state of discharge less than 20-30%, while the fully charged state was never more than 70-80% (this was not adjustable or known to the driver....all they saw was 0 -100%, never the actual state of charge of the battery). This is how you extend the life of lithium based batteries into the decades of heavy cycles vs small devices. But that was 10 years ago and battery technology has improved, so it wouldn't be surprising if that range of usable charge has increased.

Tesla will gives the owner the ability to set this range....you can get max range now and expect reduced battery life, or reduce your range and extend battery life.

13. SSSSSSSSSSSSVT

SSSSSSSSSSSSVT Well-Known Member Established Member

And what’s the % that rely only on China battery cars as there main source of transportation. Everyone I know that owns a grown up power wheels also owns a real car or truck. This fad will go away once people realize the nightmare of battery degradation and electrical component failure. Hate to be the sucker who owns this junk in 8 years! Hot potato!

14. mustangbee

mustangbee Well-Known Member Established Member

Well, I don't remember many people hauling the OG lightning either. It had a gimmick and it was good at it. I would suspect this is even better/cheaper/faster. I do a fair amount of driving sometimes I just don't do over 200 miles in a day, and if someone does, the person in the market for this already has another vehicle to begin with. This is an informed sale, people understand the range by this point.

15. mustangbee

mustangbee Well-Known Member Established Member

Damn you put 60000 miles on a truck per year? That's roughly was 5x per week a 220 miles a day.

I understand there are people that need the extra range like you for long trips I get that, but most people are just full of shit bitching about range. I would bet 90% complaining don't even put 40,000 in a year, much less 60000

16. 04DeadShort

04DeadShort SVT Addict Established Member

Charging that truck is gonna be interesting. It has a mobile charger, but it's 240v and draws 32 amps. Not to convenient. And basically the same amperage as a water heater. But the house can be upgraded to the Pro unit that is rated at 80 amps, 240v. If the charging station is a 1:1 ratio, like our electric forklifts at work, the charging station would need 4awg copper conductors to feed it. Also a 90 amp breaker added in the house panel. Every charge cycle that thing would consume as much power as roughly 3 water heaters. I would need to see the charging data sheet broken down some more to be sure but right now its not looking efficient at all.

17. kazman

kazman King of Kazmania Premium Member Established Member

^^^ But, but, but, I don't have to pay those crazy gas prices...

:rolleyes:

04DeadShort and Lambeau like this.
  18. Lambeau

Lambeau Superfleck Moonbird nfl is dead goodell did it Established Member Malt Liquor Mafia

Up in arms? No, you ignore facts.

FACT:
    - A Ford electric suv with mustang badges was 100% fully charged to 300 miles.
    - It sat overnight, NOT PLUGGED IN, in ~15F temp.
    - Next morning, the 300 mile, 100% charge, decreased to 155 miles.

Screen Shot 2021-05-21 at 6.31.04 AM.png

Pic from inside a Bronco just a couple minutes later.

Screen Shot 2021-05-21 at 6.31.42 AM.png

What if that electric suv with mustang badges has 50 miles left and isn't plugged in at night?

SSSSSSSSSSSSVT likes this.
  19. 7998

7998 Don't Care Established Member Malt Liquor Mafia

Listen derp. A typical day for me consists of driving to various sites. I'll drive to a site in Sussex Co.(40 mi) Have to run and get my guys material (30 mi there and back) Then go to my other project in Salem Co. (80 mi) check in at the office (30 mi) then go home (40 mi) That's typical. Sometimes there are other trips involved. Many times I've gone through a tank of gas in a day. I do drive 25k-30k a year. But sometimes I work from home and argue with know-nothings on SVTP.

As for personally, no it won't work there either. I like to drive my vehicles and take road trips not virtue signal with them. Forteau, NL) (2).jpg

SSSSSSSSSSSSVT and Lambeau like this.
  20. kevinatfms

kevinatfms Ex-Ford/Kia/Hyundai Tech Premium Member Established Member

Did they announce what the range is when towing?

Wondering how much it will come off that 300mile range with something like 5-6000lbs behind it.