• Welcome to SVTPerformance!
ATTENTION!
You may experience intermittent issues while accessing the site over the next 60-90 minutes, as we perform maintenance and upgrades.

Ford's 2022 Electric F-150 Lightning | Here's the Scoop

Discussion in 'Front Page Articles' started by SID297, May 19, 2021.

1. SilverStreak02

SilverStreak02 Active Member Established Member

As an EV I think it’s pretty cool. It is a Lightning?.....absolutely NOT!! I’m very very disappointed in Ford for taking two namesakes and throwing them around like a marketing gadget.

EV’s and the charging infrastructure have a ways to go before they are mainstream. Everybody talks about Miles. Which by the way are EPA rated which basically means they are achieved by granny driving with NO accessories powered on (i.e. Radio, HVAC, Headlights, etc.). What very few people discuss is recharging times. This is part of the infrastructure. On the standard 120VAC house charger you’re looking at about a full day to recharge the battery. With the 240VAC “Super Charger” it’s about 8 hours. The fastest chargers on the road can give about 50% charge is 20-40 minutes. What are you going to do for 20-40 minutes while you wait on your EV to charge enough to make it back home?

I’ve taken a few business trips across my state (230 miles one way) and have been able to go there an back without filling up both my Raptor and my RAM. If I did that in an EV, I’d have to stop somewhere short of my destination and charge for probably and hour or so. And then do it again on the way back home. That just added two hours to my already 7 hour round trip.

Not ready for that kind of hassle....

2. Black 2000

Black 2000 Boss Hoss Established Member

I get about 300 miles to a tank in my Gen 2. Also it fits in my garage with plenty of room left to walk around it to work on it or detail it. I know from experience that the 4 door truck or even the extend cab (same wheel base length) will not fit in my two car garage.
    I keep joking on other sites about asking which antivirus software will come with these new EVs. OTA updates are neat and all but I know with my 2015 Fusion that those come as an expense. So by the time you add up (not using common core maths but actual maths) the tax credits and etc. where do you stand with savings?
    I do like the idea of a possible tonneau cover/solar panel charger and include regen braking charging and you could get some better range.

3. 5.0 Hatch

5.0 Hatch Active Member Established Member

It would suit me well for what where I drive and do with my current truck but I do wonder what the mileage would be pulling a 10k lbs. load?? I'm surprised by the price, I read somewhere that the XLT will start around $53k. If that's the case, that has to be pretty close to what an ICE XLT 4wd starts at.

4. Cobra(ed) Up

Cobra(ed) Up Active Member Established Member

I owned a 2000 and 2003 Lightning. This however cool it is, IS NOT A Lightning!
    I should have been called a E150 or anything else.

5. 13COBRA

13COBRA Resident Ford Dealer Premium Member Established Member

Man, a lot of hate for a half ton with 775ft/lbs of torque.

Hate that they used the Lightning name? In reality, it fits this truck MORE than the old Lightning trucks. I'm curious to know if there was as much hate around the Boss 429 trucks that were around back in the early 2000s....

I think these trucks will be killer. I've had as many reservations for the MY22 Lightning as I did the MY21 Bronco.

Do I foresee myself stop driving 250 diesels and get an electric truck, probably not for a while, but this F-150 will do what 90% of the people who driver F-150 need it to do. It will sell well!

6. 13COBRA

upload_2021-5-20_9-21-23.png

7. 13COBRA

upload_2021-5-20_9-22-56.png

upload_2021-5-20_9-23-11.png

upload_2021-5-20_9-23-25.png

upload_2021-5-20_9-23-40.png

8. 13COBRA

upload_2021-5-20_9-26-8.png

DSG2003Mach1 likes this.
  9. DSG2003Mach1

DSG2003Mach1 Premium Member Premium Member Established Member Single Barrel Sirs

As a share holder I'm glad to hear it.

Styling as an EV - I think it's good
    Styling as a truck with the Lightning badge - let down but again we're going to be in the minority of people who give a shit

I'd love to get an explanation on why, if Tesla's patents are open, they come out with a system that charges exponentially slower.

10. 13COBRA

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

11. DSG2003Mach1

DSG2003Mach1 Premium Member Premium Member Established Member Single Barrel Sirs

Im sure someone smarter than I has done the math on the increase in cost to charge quicker vs lost/delayed sales

Edit: I'm also just in a shit mood in general this week so that probably isn't helping my outlook :D

12. The Bone

The Bone Active Member Established Member

Standing on the side of the road waiting for my electric truck to charge. Americans are being fed this electric crap but wait till they get the bill. Electric rates keep going up because of this. Oh not to mention the use tax coming your way. You now get gas tax but when we no longer pay for gas then they are goping to tax you by the mile. Roads need to be fixes.
    Here is how thats going to work. You pay your registration then get your car inspected for miles driven and ya you got to pay that guy. But you cant pay by the week and they don't trust you to be honest because I dont LOL. No one has any idea how much a mile. I like 10 cents maybe 20
    Now you are going to grandmas house for dinner but everyone is there and grandma has only one charger.
    Has anyone figured out how this is going to change your life?
    You will get plenty of time to ponder this standing by the side of the road waiting for your truck to charge.

7998, SSSSSSSSSSSSVT and einehund like this.
  13. PhoenixM3

PhoenixM3 Hello Kitty Slayer Premium Member Established Member

One of the few feature I do like is the frunk. Ford went the "woke way" WRT styling, and had to make it look way different than a normal F150 does. Everyone driving an EV has to make a "look at me" statement.....

14. MarcSpaz

MarcSpaz Resident Trouble Maker Premium Member Established Member

The faster you discharge or recharge batteries, the hotter they get, the less time they hold a charge and the shorter their life gets. Based on this, my assumption is that Tesla understands the batteries are the biggest expense in maintenance and repair, so they take an approach to promote longevity over shortened charge times.

15. SID297

SID297 OWNER/ADMIN Staff Member Administrator

That worked out so well for them by knowingly continuing to sell small cars with defective transmissions.

PhoenixM3 and DSG2003Mach1 like this.
  16. Fat Boss

Fat Boss Well-Known Member Established Member

You are sort of on to it, but kinda backwards. The range will be fine on a hot day with 4 people in it. The range will fall by 40% on a really cold day running the heater. Add an enclosed car trailer and it will fall further. Clearly this truck is made for the masses, not the guy who trailers long distances.

How much time do you spend each year standing by the side of the road waiting for your truck to fill with gas? My guess is probably 12 hours or so. That's plenty of time to ponder anything. The vast majority of Lightning buyers will skip that 12 hours and OCCASIONALLY wait a few minutes on the side of the road having lunch while their truck charges for that long trip to aunt Marthas.

17. nmp1

nmp1 Active Member Established Member

so that basically reads that dealers are not allowed to offer discounts or incentives but if they wanna price gouge, thats ok. FYF

SSSSSSSSSSSSVT likes this.
  18. 1 Alibi 2

1 Alibi 2 If not today, when ?????? Established Member SVTP OG 4 Life

Starts @ 40K,................all the good stuff will run 90K.
    Doesn't come in an Scab with a 6' bed,...............don't see one of these in my future.
    Too old to need a " frunk "..

........20% of EV Buyers Go Back To Gas-Powered Vehicles

SSSSSSSSSSSSVT likes this.
  19. andymarkv

andymarkv Well-Known Member Established Member

I'm curious if this indicates that other cab/bed configurations will become available?
    I like to use my truck as a truck and 6.5 beds are barely adequate, I have no use for the 5.5.

Fat Boss likes this.
  20. andymarkv

andymarkv Well-Known Member Established Member

I'm curious WTH they're talking about.....? As far as I know only Tesla has put any real effort into a Charging Network? And it definitely isn't "public".