• Welcome to SVTPerformance!
ATTENTION!
You may experience intermittent issues while accessing the site over the next 60-90 minutes, as we perform maintenance and upgrades.

Ford's 2022 Electric F-150 Lightning | Here's the Scoop

Discussion in 'Front Page Articles' started by SID297, May 19, 2021.

1. The Bone

The Bone Active Member Established Member

Only thing is so far not everyone owns a electric car. What is this going to be like when everyone owns one. You may not even be able to get to the charger for hours. Can you imagine the lines at a charging station. This is going to be great.

Black 2000 likes this.
  2. Fat Boss

Fat Boss Well-Known Member Established Member

Despite the liberals' best efforts this is still America. In America people recognize market needs and meet them for a profit. By the time the mandates to only sell electrics rolls around there will be tons of chargers.

3. mustangbee

mustangbee Well-Known Member Established Member

Apparently, you didn't even read my post. I made it very clear for some people this option wouldn't work. The circumstances are different, I get it. I went out of my way to say that, yet you took it as an insult somehow. "omg you dumb derp! EVs suck!" I get it man, bad liberals, biden, etc. You fight the good fight man, show them up.

4. 7998

7998 Don't Care Established Member Malt Liquor Mafia

Go cry in your mom's lap.

5. mustangbee

mustangbee Well-Known Member Established Member

Right, big guy with a big truck name calling on a forum. Cant even read an entire post without getting butthurt.

Fat Boss likes this.
  6. CurtisH

CurtisH New Member

I believe Ford said it would need a 100 amp breaker.

04DeadShort likes this.
  7. Weather Man

Weather Man Persistance Is A Bitch Premium Member Established Member

I was talking to the head electrician working on my house about the Ford 80 amp charge option. He estimated 2% of houses in this area would have the service already installed to support it. I have 200 amp service and he said he wouldn't install unless I installed another 200 amp panel based on my current potential load.

8. The Bone

The Bone Active Member Established Member

Electric vehicles don't work for everyone. Gas vehicles do It's that simple. Those with plug in hybrids that is not a good comparison to a full electric car. Just like gas electric car millage will very. Not everyone will get 300 miles from a charge. With 350 Million people who drive cars and some own more than 2 500,000 chargers is no where near enough chargers. Hell there are lines at gas stations now. How many gas pumps in America now? Everyone having a electric car is a fools dream. And only fools buy into this dream. You are what you are.

9. wizbangdoodle

wizbangdoodle Inslee is an Idiot Premium Member Established Member

What everyone seems to forget, is the big push for ev's was to reduce global pollution. It's scary to me that no one looks at the manufacturing process of electric vehicles. Huge amounts of pollution. But it's just over in China, so who cares, right? Plus, what is used to produce the electricity to charge those vehicles? Yup, mostly coal power plants. And what happens to that battery once it is done? Maybe they get recycled, maybe not.

Now let's look at the day to day with an ev. You get up and go to work, but you have to unplug your car first. Small inconvenience, but still an extra step. Hopefully the vehicle won't let you drive off if it's still plugged in. Can you imagine the disaster that would be.
    You get to work, but have to plug in before going into the office, another inconvenience, if there even is a charging station there. And if there aren't enough stations your S.O.L
    The day is over and depending on conditions and your commute distance, you may only have 50-75% battery left. No big deal, right? But the wife has some errands she wants you to run before you get home. Now your at 30-50%.

At the end of battery life, it's basically junk, because the cost of a new battery is as much as having a gas motor overhauled and you start thinking, geez, a gasser would have probably gone 200k or more before needing a major overhaul.

As you might have guessed, I'm not a big fan of ev's. To me, they are a niche vehicle. They work for some people, but not me. My F450 can have a range of over 700 miles empty. I can tow my 14,000 pound 5th wheel and still get over 300 mile range.
    Go ahead, jump in an electric, but don't think you're saving the world.

Move on, nothing to see here.

Black 2000, Hunter98SVT and Tob like this.
  10. andymarkv

andymarkv Well-Known Member Established Member

Obviously people will need time to get used to other potential options in transportation.

Hell I remember the VOLUMES of hate on this forum when the S550 body style replaced the S195...I'm curious how many of those guys now own an S550...?
    Many strong opinions can bend with time.

11. nmp1

nmp1 Active Member Established Member

I think this truck will work for a lot of people but I don't think most people realize the potential overhead setup cost and just how much power it will consume. If you have a small service panel that is already maxed out you are looking at thousands of dollars of electrical work to run a 240 to your garage or outside your home. opt for the 48 amp charger and its like running a central AC unit every time you plug it in. Go for the 80 amp and its like running 2 central AC units at once. wait until some of these people get their first electric bill.

12. wizbangdoodle

wizbangdoodle Inslee is an Idiot Premium Member Established Member

^^This. Just getting a charge station setup in your home is gonna run you several thou.

13. DSG2003Mach1

DSG2003Mach1 Premium Member Premium Member Established Member Single Barrel Sirs

I got screwed on the panel placement in my current house. Because the under ground utility box is in my back yard on the master bedroom side of the house, that's where they put my panel. I'd have to run wire for the 80amp across the entire house to get it to the garage on top of any other additional service upgrades I might need.

14. Weather Man

I bet they would try and trench to get a panel in the garage.

15. DSG2003Mach1

DSG2003Mach1 Premium Member Premium Member Established Member Single Barrel Sirs

power goes up into the attic as it is, I have a pitched roof, there's actually decent height in the middle, either way you're looking at roughly the same length of wire needed

16. Fat Boss

Fat Boss Well-Known Member Established Member

Geez. What else are you running? I have a 200 AMP panel and run two houses off it and it's never tripped.

And then a nice sigh of relief when they compare it to what their gas bill used to be.

17. DSG2003Mach1

ya, my electric bill is around .12/kwh on peak demand. I'll once again reference my friend with the Tesla, electricity in Jacksonville is within a penny of my cost per kwh and the rough math is the same as paying ~$0.15 per gallon of gas. Yes, I get that if everyone goes that way and over runs the grid pricing will go up (or a host of other scenarios)

18. SID297

SID297 OWNER/ADMIN Staff Member Administrator

Anyone want to see an EV build here on SVTP?

19. andymarkv

andymarkv Well-Known Member Established Member

It will be interesting what the aftermarket will do with this...
    I think things will get CrAzY quick in the 1/8th mile, not sure if they will get them to pull hard all the way through the 1/4, at least on production based cars.

20. Weather Man

Mine has never tripped, but the electrician that does the install is never gonna air on the aggressive side. So stage 2 40 amp was the most he would install.

3 refrigerators
    1 freezer
    3 dehumidifiers
    2 gas furnaces
    1 gas boiler
    3 gas garage heaters
    1 electric water heater
    2 air conditioning units
    1 30x64 shed that pulls from the house panel.