Ford canceling plans for $1.6 billion plant in Mexico, investing $700 million in Michigan expansion

Deceptive

Muffin is my spirit animal
Established Member
Premium Member
Yes, that's what I'm doing. Smh. Have a good one!

So explain how you feel that jobs staying in America while the company gets a possible tax break is worse than Americans loosing said jobs as the jobs are moved out of country by the company.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

VRYALT3R3D

Show me your Members
Established Member
So explain how you feel that jobs staying in America while the company gets a possible tax break is worse than Americans loosing said jobs as the jobs are moved out of country by the company.
Where was it mentioned that Ford is getting a tax break? Was this an assumption made earlier in the thread?

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
Seems that way.

Americans that remain employed or gain employment are earning and spending their money here. That means they are paying income taxes here. They pay sales taxes here. They are spending money in their communities, keeping other businesses open so they can in turn keep people employed and offer more employment to people that pay income taxes and spend their money here. And the cycle continues. People standing in the unemployment line, especially in economically struggling areas like Detroit, do more detriment to this country than any tax incentive deal that was made to keep said folks out of the unemployment line.

If you want to whine about retaining and adding jobs in this country because of some possible insignificant tax breaks, I would say that you do hate America.

I believe the figure is that one manufacturing job in the US supports 7 more jobs in the surrounding community.

Deceptive

Muffin is my spirit animal
Established Member
Premium Member
Where was it mentioned that Ford is getting a tax break? Was this an assumption made earlier in the thread?

I never saw it mentioned they were. It was an assumption by Never_Enough. I was being nice and entertaining the idea that they are as it still is better than them moving out of country.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ViperRed91GT

Lightning Guru
Established Member
Haven't seen anything on a tax break... but it really doesn't matter if they aren't paying taxes otherwise. A tax break is better than no taxes paid at all.

DHG1078

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
I don't think there was a tax break offered, its to avoid a tax penalty for importing if the trump administration goes through with those threats.

Edit: i think the assumption of a tax break comes from the deal with carrier (?) last year.

Drive XR7

NE Ohio's Fastest
Established Member
Small car sales are stagnent. This is just a smart business decision. Mark Fields even said the primary reason was because small car sales are down. Why spend $1B+ on a plant that produces a product that isn't selling? Let's not jump to conclusions and give Trump too much credit here (although I'm sure most of you will).

Also, the investment in the Michigan plant is for autonomous and hybrid vehicles. It's in Michigan because the engineers are in Michigan. Co-locating R&D, Engineering, and Manufacturing for complex products has been proven to reduce lead times, improve revision times, and overall make a better product.

Drive XR7

NE Ohio's Fastest
Established Member
Also Trump's tweet criticizing GM for importing Cruze from Mexico is misleading. GM produces Cruze hatchback, like 600 cars, and imports to US. The rest are built in Lordstown, OH.

DHG1078

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
Small car sales are stagnent. This is just a smart business decision. Mark Fields even said the primary reason was because small car sales are down. Why spend $1B+ on a plant that produces a product that isn't selling? Let's not jump to conclusions and give Trump too much credit here (although I'm sure most of you will).

Also, the investment in the Michigan plant is for autonomous and hybrid vehicles. It's in Michigan because the engineers are in Michigan. Co-locating R&D, Engineering, and Manufacturing for complex products has been proven to reduce lead times, improve revision times, and overall make a better product.

To pay $4 an hour to employees vs. $20+ an hour plus benefits so its cheaper to build. Makes it more profitable to build a car. Plus possibly cheaper taxes and fees to do business.

Drive XR7

NE Ohio's Fastest
Established Member
To pay $4 an hour to employees vs. $20+ an hour plus benefits so its cheaper to build. Makes it more profitable to build a car. Plus possibly cheaper taxes and fees to do business.

Yep, agree. Not profitable to build small cars in the US. If they were to "move" small car production to the US, as Trump would want, they would have to raise prices for consumers. And new cars are already very expensive.

Users who are viewing this thread